Conn Bell/Bach Slide

ttf_paulyg

Conn Bell/Bach Slide

Post by ttf_paulyg »

I plunked a Bach 50 slide into my Conn 88H bell, and quite liked it, aside from some weird tuning tendencies. Anyone have anything to say about this kind of setup?
ttf_Matt K

Conn Bell/Bach Slide

Post by ttf_Matt K »

I had kind of a similar Shires setup for a few months as my main horn.  It helps to have a smaller cup and tighter backbore as well as a tighter leadpipe.

In your case the tuning issues could be caused by length differences; that's one of the reason why 'franken horns' don't always work in my experience. 

There have been several threads on putting bass slides on tenor bells in the last few years, which you may find helpful reading.  I'm not unconvinced that the leadpipe in the Bach 50 is "easier" to play than the one in the 42; as such, I'm of the opinion that a contributing factor to it being a popular modification to Bach horns  was a difference in leadpipe taper. If you're comparing to an 88, you might find a similar correlation. 

If the leadpipe is one of those factors that makes it work 'better' for you, then you might find that swapping the leadpipe makes a similar positive benefit to the way it feels without unusual tuning tendencies.

Also: Do you mean you stuck a Bach 50 slide as-is on the Conn 88 bell or that you had the tenon on the slide swapped out for a Conn tenon so that at least it fits? That alone can cause intonation problesm if you have mismatched tenons.
ttf_paulyg

Conn Bell/Bach Slide

Post by ttf_paulyg »

Yeah I just friction-fit the two together. I'm sure that caused the intonation differences.

I played this configuration in a sectional yesterday, and the main takeaway for me was that while it was harder to hit a note in tune, once it got there, it settled a lot easier. Much easier to sit within a chord.
ttf_Matt K

Conn Bell/Bach Slide

Post by ttf_Matt K »

Having gone down that route, I'd probably recommend trying to get a different leadpipe (and also perhaps making sure your slide is properly aligned and cleaned... doesn't take much to accumulate .012 of debris in a horn. You may be comparing a 'medium' bore to a bass bore  Image Image Image ). A SL6262 (Conn) slide might also be something to consider trying if you can find one. They come up for sale from time to time. Dillon had a whole bunch of Conn slides on sale not too long ago and perhaps might have another one. 
ttf_wgwbassbone

Conn Bell/Bach Slide

Post by ttf_wgwbassbone »

Quote from: paulyg on Apr 25, 2017, 10:59AMI plunked a Bach 50 slide into my Conn 88H bell, and quite liked it, aside from some weird tuning tendencies. Anyone have anything to say about this kind of setup?
Well I have something to say but you wouldn't like it.
ttf_TromboneMonkey

Conn Bell/Bach Slide

Post by ttf_TromboneMonkey »

Dick Nash played a Bach slide Williams bell for a while. Better tuning than Conn Bach combo because of similarities between Bach and Williams slide length, but when I tried it I still didn't like it. Too many weird individual notes. Horns are built to work as units.
ttf_Dukesboneman

Conn Bell/Bach Slide

Post by ttf_Dukesboneman »

I would think there`d be tuning problems as the Conn Bells tend to be longer than Bach`s and Bach Slides are a hair longer than Conns

ttf_paulyg

Conn Bell/Bach Slide

Post by ttf_paulyg »

Quote from: wgwbassbone on Apr 26, 2017, 05:43AMWell I have something to say but you wouldn't like it.
Try me!
ttf_anonymous

Conn Bell/Bach Slide

Post by ttf_anonymous »

The first design and the v1.1 version of my 3d printed PrintBone bell is a conn 8h copy with a Bach slide connector - friction fit.  And that works.

The conn bell will be a few centimeters too long, but a=440.5 might be doable depending on mouthpiece. The Bach slide connector is also a bit longer, which means it will be even lower without the correct fit. On mine the tuning of the partials is good enough. If it's not good on yours that is probably the leadpipe.

But I like it much better with a 42B than a 50B slide.
ttf_Stan

Conn Bell/Bach Slide

Post by ttf_Stan »

<<<I self-censured.  This is a family site.>>>
ttf_greenbean

Conn Bell/Bach Slide

Post by ttf_greenbean »

Well... just for kicks I swapped slides on two very nice playing Corp Bachs.  42B and 50B.  The only combinations that played well were 50/50 and 42/42.  Both hybrid configurations were just weird.  I don't see the point. 

ttf_wgwbassbone

Conn Bell/Bach Slide

Post by ttf_wgwbassbone »

Quote from: greenbean on May 04, 2017, 09:35AMWell... just for kicks I swapped slides on two very nice playing Corp Bachs.  42B and 50B.  The only combinations that played well were 50/50 and 42/42.  Both hybrid configurations were just weird.  I don't see the point. 

ttf_bigbassbone1

Conn Bell/Bach Slide

Post by ttf_bigbassbone1 »

Quote from: greenbean on May 04, 2017, 09:35AMWell... just for kicks I swapped slides on two very nice playing Corp Bachs.  42B and 50B.  The only combinations that played well were 50/50 and 42/42.  Both hybrid configurations were just weird.  I don't see the point. 

The point is getting a sound that works in whatever playing situation you find yourself in... its all well and good having an instrument or gear that YOU (in the general sense) really like the sound of and the playing feel, but if that sound doesn't mesh well with colleagues around you, it really doesn't matter.... there are plenty of awesome players on the 42/50 combo that make it work well in their work environment. I do something similar with my gear choices because it gets me called back for work (so far!). Not necessarily because I personally like the sound the best. If playing the standard combos gives you a sound that is employable then there is no point putting a 50 slide on. If you are not making a sound that others like, and want to employ you for, then you might want to experiment with some other combos. Playing gear with other people, not just by yourself is the best way to judge if it "sounds" good or not.
ttf_bigbassbone1

Conn Bell/Bach Slide

Post by ttf_bigbassbone1 »

The point is getting a sound that works in whatever playing situation you find yourself in... its all well and good having an instrument or gear that YOU (in the general sense) really like the sound of and the playing feel, but if that sound doesn't mesh well with colleagues around you, it really doesn't matter.... there are plenty of awesome players on the 42/50 combo that make it work well in their work environment. I do something similar with my gear choices because it gets me called back for work (so far!). Not necessarily because I personally like the sound the best. If playing the standard combos gives you a sound that is employable then there is no point putting a 50 slide on. If you are not making a sound that others like, and want to employ you for, then you might want to experiment with some other combos. Playing gear with other people, not just by yourself is the best way to judge if it "sounds" good or not.

Return to “Instruments”