Bach 5G on small shank

ttf_TromboneFantasy

Bach 5G on small shank

Post by ttf_TromboneFantasy »

I play on a Bach 5G with Yamaha Ysl-356g. This mouthpiece works on small shank trombone ? For me , personally , this piece on my horn make a round,velvet sound and articulation is very clean, but at the same time my sound is like closed,cased,it seems strange, but so is,exist negative and positive sides with . I feel that air does not enter on horn , with this mouthpiece. Require very much effort . Resistance is very bad with 5g , and high register is big problem , maybe the low register is even better than yamaha japan 48 (my standard mouthpiece , good for all) .
Others opinions ? Is bad combination ( small shank + 5g ) or this mouthpiece not fit for me ? Image Image Image Image
ttf_Ellrod

Bach 5G on small shank

Post by ttf_Ellrod »

I was using my DE LT102E4 (small shank) on my Yam 691 for Mozart this aft and switched to a small shank Schilke 51 (similar to a 5G). I preferred the latter.

IIRC correctly, the 356 is a dual bore .500/.525. The 5G should work fine.

It might take time for you to adjust to the larger mouthpiece. Until you do, you are likely to have trouble in the higher register.
ttf_TromboneFantasy

Bach 5G on small shank

Post by ttf_TromboneFantasy »

Others opinions ? Image
ttf_bigbassbone1

Bach 5G on small shank

Post by ttf_bigbassbone1 »

There is nothing wrong with that combination.... the "negatives" you are experiencing are most likely NOT due to the gear....
ttf_BGuttman

Bach 5G on small shank

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

There's no way we can determine if there is a bad fit between a 5G and you.  Only somebody who is listening to you can.

The 5G is a good mouthpiece for many of us.  It's a little bigger than the Yamaha 48 and maybe you aren't used to it yet.

There is a 5GS which has the 5G rim, and the 6.5 AL cup and throat (similar to a Yamaha 48).  Maybe this will work better.  Or maybe not.

Give the 5G some time.  Do long tones and flexibility on it and see if you grow into it.
ttf_anonymous

Bach 5G on small shank

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Had a .525 bore Yammy and use a 3g because of the same thing the 5g gave you. Wanted more of a variation in tone.but now i play a .547 bore horn aith a 5g and its fine IMO
ttf_Matt K

Bach 5G on small shank

Post by ttf_Matt K »

What are you comparing it with?

The 356 I had worked fine with my XT104N/G/G4 setup, which has a bigger rim but around the same cup depth. 
ttf_Matt K

Bach 5G on small shank

Post by ttf_Matt K »

What are you comparing it with?

The 356 I had worked fine with my XT104N/G/G4 setup, which has a bigger rim but around the same cup depth. 

Return to “Beginners and Returning Trombonists”