Axe Handle brace on a Yamaha Xeno Tenor

ttf_schlitzbeer

Post by ttf_schlitzbeer »

Anybody out there have the Axe Handle hand brace on their Yamaha Xeno Tenor? Would you mind posting your setup/placement of the brace? Thanks!
ttf_largobone

Post by ttf_largobone »

Did you ever figure out how to place it? I just got the Ax Handle for my 882O and I struggled to get the thing on this morning.
ttf_schlitzbeer

Quote from: largobone on May 30, 2017, 11:08AMDid you ever figure out how to place it? I just got the Ax Handle for my 882O and I struggled to get the thing on this morning.

I never got it to work on the Xeno. It's not big enough for my hand, which is fine, but it's on a nice King right now. I ended up with a Neotech hand strap that works fine. Drop MOKO a line (Mike Olsen). Send him some pics, he will help you. The product only gets better when he gets feedback.
ttf_PaKETaZ

Post by ttf_PaKETaZ »

I personally use the Sheridan Get-A-Grip with success with my 882O. This little thing becomes full part of your trombone rapidly when you achieved to set it up correctly.

I also had Neotech Trombone Grip and Edwards Bullet Grip but the Sheridan's device wins hands down for me.
ttf_musicofnote

Post by ttf_musicofnote »

Mike Olson had to admit, that the Axe Handle would need to be redesigned to work with my 822G (bass). Gone back to the NeoTech grip on that, now that it's -finally- adjusted to fit well.

I have a Rath R400 that comes with something similar, but I don't need it at all, as compared to the bass, it's light as a feather. Just haven't gotten around to taking it off.
ttf_largobone

Post by ttf_largobone »

Just sent a PM to MOKO.

I don't think the Sheridan will solve my problem, which is mostly just getting my palm off the slide-bell nut. So far I've been using the Yamaha strap, which seemed to help a little bit.
ttf_schlitzbeer

Quote from: largobone on May 31, 2017, 02:16PMJust sent a PM to MOKO.

I don't think the Sheridan will solve my problem, which is mostly just getting my palm off the slide-bell nut. So far I've been using the Yamaha strap, which seemed to help a little bit.

Try the neotech. When Mike gets more feedback, he'll figure it out.
ttf_Lawrie

Post by ttf_Lawrie »

For what it's worth, I make an alternative to the Axe Handle.  Mine are all custom.

I have not yet done a Xeno, but I have done the YSL456.

The only problem I need to solve is, because the cushion is made from cork, I will probably have problems exporting to many countries.

This one is on a Bach 50A Bass:

This one was a design I tried for a Yamaha YSL456 - the bar is spring loaded and will rotate out of the way so the horn will fit in the Yammie case without being removed.  I'm looking at a different design for this one as I think I can come up with something even better.

(The one on the right):

ttf_schlitzbeer

Quote from: Lawrie on May 31, 2017, 04:49PMFor what it's worth, I make an alternative to the Axe Handle.  Mine are all custom.

I have not yet done a Xeno, but I have done the YSL456.

The only problem I need to solve is, because the cushion is made from cork, I will probably have problems exporting to many countries.

This one was a design I tried for a Yamaha YSL456 - the bar is spring loaded and will rotate out of the way so the horn will fit in the Yammie case without being removed.  I'm looking at a different design for this one as I think I can come up with something even better.

[sarcasm] There's plenty of members on the forum that have Yammie Xenos. Get crackin' and stop teasing. [/sarcasm]
ttf_Dukesboneman

Post by ttf_Dukesboneman »

Did you tell them what model horn you play?
My Yamaha 321 Bass has one that fits perfect, as well as my 42B.
Mike was extremely helpful
ttf_Lawrie

Post by ttf_Lawrie »

Quote from: schlitzbeer on May 31, 2017, 06:19PM[sarcasm] There's plenty of members on the forum that have Yammie Xenos. Get crackin' and stop teasing. [/sarcasm]
A friend of mine just bought a Xeno 822 Dependent bass.  I've got some specs. and will be making a prototype shortly.  The next time I'll see her and her new bass is in about 2 weeks so I'll let you know then how it goes - with pics!
ttf_Lawrie

Post by ttf_Lawrie »

Quote from: Lawrie on Jun 06, 2017, 06:41AMA friend of mine just bought a Xeno 822 Dependent bass.  I've got some specs. and will be making a prototype shortly.  The next time I'll see her and her new bass is in about 2 weeks so I'll let you know then how it goes - with pics!
Prototype is done, but she didn't bring her bass yesterday - hopefully next week will see it there and I can fit and photograph it.
ttf_choski55

Post by ttf_choski55 »

I ordered an Ax Handle for my 830 bass last year. The first one didn't fit as it was a little too big. The second one fit well. The longer L arm was the one I thought worked best. It took a little experimenting to find the best position. Pretty good product and excellent customer service.

https://imgur.com/a/oKiNi
ttf_Lawrie

Post by ttf_Lawrie »

Quote from: choski55 on Jul 02, 2017, 11:44PMI ordered an Ax Handle for my 830 bass last year. The first one didn't fit as it was a little too big. The second one fit well. The longer L arm was the one I thought worked best. It took a little experimenting to find the best position. Pretty good product and excellent customer service.

https://imgur.com/a/oKiNi
Looks really neat.  Are you using the original Yamaha case?  That's the challenge I've been having with my Yammie applications - the original cases just don't seem to have sufficient room.

My friends 822 certainly wouldn't fit in her Yammie case with the fitment in your photo's.

I'm still to try the one I made for her - she keeps forgetting to bring the horn.
ttf_choski55

Post by ttf_choski55 »

Quote from: Lawrie on Jul 03, 2017, 07:57PMLooks really neat.  Are you using the original Yamaha case?  That's the challenge I've been having with my Yammie applications - the original cases just don't seem to have sufficient room.

My friends 822 certainly wouldn't fit in her Yammie case with the fitment in your photo's.

I'm still to try the one I made for her - she keeps forgetting to bring the horn.

Thanks. It does the job. Actually after I installed it and played for a while I went to put my horn back in the stock case and had an "oh crap" moment. Lo and behold it wouldn't fit without either taking off the brace or modifying the case. Luckily I had a spare Eastman case laying around.

I'm actually curious if the Shires rest bar would fit in the stock case. I looked all over the internet and couldn't find much information about it.

ttf_Lawrie

Post by ttf_Lawrie »

Quote from: choski55 on Jul 03, 2017, 08:12PMThanks. It does the job. Actually after I installed it and played for a while I went to put my horn back in the stock case and had an "oh crap" moment. Lo and behold it wouldn't fit without either taking off the brace or modifying the case. Luckily I had a spare Eastman case laying around.
Not surprised Image
Lucky indeed.

Quote from: choski55 on Jul 03, 2017, 08:12PMI'm actually curious if the Shires rest bar would fit in the stock case. I looked all over the internet and couldn't find much information about it.

Dunno, but the one I want to try on my friends 822 is designed to fit.
ttf_Lawrie

Post by ttf_Lawrie »

OK, finally got the prototype brace fitted to my friends Yamaha Xeno 822D.

I'm happy with the fitment, but I still need to get her approval.  Should be Wednesday night (I have the horn at the moment and Wednesday is when I see her next).

Pics here:

In the case:

Bottom view showing rounded corner to prevent edges causing problems:

Top 3/4 view:

ttf_Lawrie

Post by ttf_Lawrie »

OK, gave her back the horn tonight, and she loves the brace.  Seems I managed to fluke it just right for her.

There's a couple of detail changes I'll make for future fitments in a similar situation, but She's happy, so I am too.
ttf_Driswood

Post by ttf_Driswood »

I received an Axe Handle yesterday. Got it for my 34B. After two hours of trying to get it to work, I finally gave up and went to bed.

Called Mike this morning. He had me email him pics of the Axe Handle on my horn, and I also sent him one of my hand position without it installed. I did this while we were on the phone. We discussed ways to make it work.

My horn's problem? It has the Mt Vernon trigger, which comes up from underneath. It sets pretty high up from the tenon. With the Axe Handle installed, the ball joint rests against the base of my thumb, and won't close all the way. If I had the Elkhart trigger, it would work perfectly. He's making a couple shorter C clamps to see if that will work. Neither of the S clamps would work at all, and there's no way for him to modify them to make them work.

He is extremely helpful, and wants it to work. He's willing to do whatever it takes to make it work, and make me happy.

Customer service at it's best!

Jerry Walker
ttf_Horn Builder

Post by ttf_Horn Builder »

Jerry,

One of the issues with the lever on your horn is the length of the touchpiece side of the lever. It is not a huge job to shorten the length of that side of the lever, which would make holding the horn, and potential use of the Ax Handle, much better. Made  huge difference to the play-ability of my Mt Vernon 50.

FWIW...
M
ttf_Driswood

Post by ttf_Driswood »

Okay, the shorter C clamps came in today. After 10 minutes, I was good to go! The shorter clamp has enough clearance, and it sits in the crotch of my thumb. Works like it's supposed to! Now I can actually hold my horn, rather than balancing it on my palm.

I can't say enough good things about their customer service. Mike went above and beyond. He only had one goal in mind, to make it work on my horn. He did! Maybe he now has a clamp to work on Mt Vernon triggers. I highly recommend them!

Jerry Walker
ttf_Driswood

Post by ttf_Driswood »

Okay, the shorter C clamps came in today. After 10 minutes, I was good to go! The shorter clamp has enough clearance, and it sits in the crotch of my thumb. Works like it's supposed to! Now I can actually hold my horn, rather than balancing it on my palm.

I can't say enough good things about their customer service. Mike went above and beyond. He only had one goal in mind, to make it work on my horn. He did! Maybe he now has a clamp to work on Mt Vernon triggers. I highly recommend them!

Jerry Walker

Return to “Repairs, Modifications, and Maintenance”