Post by ttf_Blowero »

ttf_BGuttman

What the...?

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Interesting, but not $5000 interesting.
ttf_SilverBone

What the...?

Post by ttf_SilverBone »

All that trouble just to get decent intonation.  I think I a slide french horn would be better.
ttf_boneagain

What the...?

Post by ttf_boneagain »

Check out the triple on this page: http://www.mccrackenhorns.com/McCrackenHorns/Dbl_Des_Trpl.html

Considering the work these things take, $5,000 doesn't seem like much.

But that one Brad posted... is that honking big leather strap to handle the extra weight cantilevered out in front of the player ?  Image

From what I've seen, the third "side" of the horn is more about "sure footing" on high passages than intonation.

While you're looking at the McCracken page, check out the "tri-valve" horns as well.  NOT triple horns, but neat valve cluster.
ttf_LowrBrass

What the...?

Post by ttf_LowrBrass »

Are we ogling the fact that it's a triple horn, or that it's a slightly odd triple horn?

I know someone who used her inheritance to buy a triple horn with every bell & every whistle.
She loves it.
Maybe money can't buy happiness, but it can buy you tools that make it more fun to do the things you love.  Image
ttf_Posaunus

What the...?

Post by ttf_Posaunus »

$5,000 isn't really very much for a high-quality German-made triple French horn - and this one has a turbocharger! 

Too many mechanical linkages for me - can't the German engineers develop some wireless battery-powered electronic solenoid valves?  Now THAT would be very cool!   Image
ttf_bubbachet

What the...?

Post by ttf_bubbachet »

"remarkably decent job"

ttf_greenbean

What the...?

Post by ttf_greenbean »

Partly German made and partly Nevada made.

No, thanks...
ttf_robcat2075

What the...?

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

"made with aged brass"

Is that a thing?
ttf_robcat2075

What the...?

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

Quote from: SilverBone on Sep 05, 2017, 12:32AMAll that trouble just to get decent intonation.  I think I a slide french horn would be better.

It's more about more security in the high notes.
ttf_Blowero

What the...?

Post by ttf_Blowero »

Quote from: LowrBrass on Sep 05, 2017, 07:29PMAre we ogling the fact that it's a triple horn, or that it's a slightly odd triple horn?

I know someone who used her inheritance to buy a triple horn with every bell & every whistle.
She loves it.
Maybe money can't buy happiness, but it can buy you tools that make it more fun to do the things you love.  Image
Are we "ogling" it? It has 10 valves. Please find me another triple French horn that has 10 valves.  Image
ttf_Euphanasia

What the...?

Post by ttf_Euphanasia »

Quote from: Blowero on Sep 06, 2017, 12:08AMAre we "ogling" it? It has 10 valves. Please find me another triple French horn that has 10 valves.  Image

And parts sourced from no fewer than four manufacturers. It's like "One Piece at a Time" from someone who got bumped from the Cadillac factory to the Dodge factory, to the Ford factory...
ttf_mwpfoot

What the...?

Post by ttf_mwpfoot »

10 valves, 10 fingers, no problem!

ttf_mwpfoot

What the...?

Post by ttf_mwpfoot »

10 valves, 10 fingers, no problem!

Return to “Found on the Net”