What kind of music do we listen?

ttf_savio

Post by ttf_savio »

Ok, I tried to make it simple, but gave up. Searching around the internet for music genres is confusing. Its not possible to make it simple. There is sub genres I bet many of us dont know about.  Image

Don't answer what you mostly play but what you like to listen. This time its allowed to vote 3 times. We probably listen and enjoy a lot more but we have to set a limit somewhere.

I like to listen renaissance, bebop and rap these days. That's 3 genres I dont know anything about but is fascinating. So much of the hit lists today doesn't fit in any category, or the young ones makes new categories every month. New names on their music....I'm too old to follow all.

Leif

ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Really hard to choose only 3 of the list.  I actually listen to a lot of stuff ranging from Renaissance to 20th Century classical, Ragtime, New Orleans Jazz, Swing, Post Swing (but not into Fusion or Bebop), Broadway Show music, and a lot more.
ttf_Baron von Bone

Post by ttf_Baron von Bone »

I have yet to find a genre I don't like at all.

Closest known would be free jazz (not sure I've given it a fair shake) and opera (too much bellowing--or as I think Renee Fleming once said, we holler in a very refined manner).
ttf_Dukesboneman

Post by ttf_Dukesboneman »

Where `s Avante Garde/Free/ Creative music????
ttf_Russ White

Post by ttf_Russ White »

I suppose I would answer this differently every few weeks.
ttf_LowrBrass

Post by ttf_LowrBrass »

By "20th and 21st century music," you mean only classical music, right?
ttf_savio

Post by ttf_savio »

Quote from: LowrBrass on Jul 02, 2016, 08:46PMBy "20th and 21st century music," you mean only classical music, right?
Yes
And I will try to put up some more like avant garde.

Opera isn't a genre or is it? Ok I put it up since many listen it.

Seems to me we like nearly everything but dont listen much disco.

Leif
ttf_Russ White

Post by ttf_Russ White »

More than anything I listen to Nils Lindgren. I think he, at different times, has recorded in about half of these categories.
ttf_LowrBrass

Post by ttf_LowrBrass »

I've spent way too long trying to figure out--of the five jazz CDs currently in my car's CD changer, what two subgenres of jazz do they best fit into?

(Can only be two, 'cos I saw an orchestra concert yesterday, and that's gotta count for something)

Yeah, Leif, this is a hard one. If an untalented hack musician like *me* is having trouble, all the Real Music Lovers have got to be going nuts.   Image

Quote from: savio on Jul 03, 2016, 03:49AMSeems to me we like nearly everything but dont listen much disco.
I'd listen to more disco if it had more interesting trombone parts.
ttf_Driving Park

Post by ttf_Driving Park »

Quote from: savioSeems to me we like nearly everything but dont listen much disco.

I listen to disco!!!

I was brought up listening to it as my dad loves it so I grew a big affinity for it. It's pretty satisfying to be the only one to know the lyrics to a random disco song that shows up every once in a while.

Other than that?

My listening is very eclectic. I listen to all kinds of things, but I would say the genre I've really latched on to the most for fun listening is Eurobeat, which I could best describe as high-energy electronic disco pop. Although it is called Eurobeat, it never really caught on in Europe and all the Eurobeat that I listen to and is popular is marketed towards Japan. Some of the songs are in Japanese with a little bit of English thrown in, but most are entirely English. Eurobeat is unique in that it has an over 200-album series of official Super Eurobeat compilations that serve as the primary medium for the genre's consumption. I love it enough that I have a Super Eurobeat bumper sticker and a significant portion of my music library is Eurobeat. (There's more jazz and classical, but Eurobeat isn't far behind.)

Other things I listen to frequently include, but are not limited to: (roughly in order of frequency)

- Video game and movie soundtracks
- Trance
- Funk, Soul, and R&B
- Pop (a select few songs that I've latched on to)
- Big band swing and jazz
- Latin jazz and salsa
- Ska punk
- Progressive rock (Alan Parsons Project, etc.)
- Smooth jazz (sue me)
- A little Japanese jazz fusion

Occasionally I'll dabble in things like alternative rock, post-grunge, pop punk, progressive metal, '80s hair metal, and hard rock. They're all in my library, just not in my normal listening diet.

Do I listen to classical? Yes, and there's tons of it in my library. But on my normal listening regimen (in the car, at home, transcribing, etc.) it is mostly absent. And half the time I'm unearthing unknown symphonies by composers I've never heard of, just to see what's out there.

Conclusion: although I like everything, I really like dance music.
ttf_JimArcher

Post by ttf_JimArcher »

I'm closing in on 80, my choices would've been the same for the past 50+ years. 
ttf_Baron von Bone

Post by ttf_Baron von Bone »

Quote from: Driving Park on Jul 03, 2016, 10:54AM ... Other things I listen to frequently include, but are not limited to: (roughly in order of frequency)

- Video game and movie soundtracks
- Trance
- Funk, Soul, and R&B
- Pop (a select few songs that I've latched on to)
- Big band swing and jazz
- Latin jazz and salsa
- Ska punk
- Progressive rock (Alan Parsons Project, etc.)
- Smooth jazz (sue me)
- A little Japanese jazz fusion ...
Have you been digging around in my Pandora account, man!?
ttf_Driving Park

Post by ttf_Driving Park »

Quote from: Baron von Bone on Jul 03, 2016, 11:17AM
Have you been digging around in my Pandora account, man!?

I'll admit nothing!  Image
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

I don't know where "The Decemberists" fit into this poll. And do "The Police" count as Reggae?
ttf_EWadie99

Post by ttf_EWadie99 »

Don't know which category this will fall in but I listen to a lot of Iraqi Arabic music also Russian music as well.  I do listen to other music like jazz, orchestral, rap, pop, rock, metal, etc.  But Arabic music is what I listen to most.
ttf_Radar

Post by ttf_Radar »

Too many categories and not enough choices.  Picking a top 3 is pretty difficult from a comprehensive list of Genres.  I could use up 3 just on Jazz, but I also like Classical, Folk, Country, and classic Rock. 
ttf_Quiros

Post by ttf_Quiros »

It's really difficult for me to pick because I'm seldom ever in the mood to listen to anything specific. Sometimes I prefer just ambient noise; there are often long stretches during road trips where I won't have anything playing.

I guess lately, my Spotify playlists have mostly consisted of EDM, hip-hop, and classical, so I voted for those.
ttf_Dan Hine

Post by ttf_Dan Hine »

Good music.  I listen to good music.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

There are only two types of music.  Good nusic and bad music. Image

Incidentally why no Classical option?  Do we ignore Moxart and Haydn? Image

Ronnie
ttf_anonymous