Meeting with Chip and Jonathan from Wessex Tubas

ttf_Vintage88H

Post by ttf_Vintage88H »

This week i had the great opportunity to meet my friend and forum member Chipolah (Chip Hoehler) and Jonathan Hodgetts from Wessex Tubas.
Both are one a promotion tour through Europe for Wessex instruments and stopped at my house in Austria.

I know Chip since so many years only via email and it was wonderful to meet him in person.

Jonathan brought the newest Wessex trombone models with him. I had the chance to test some of them incl. the Supertenor Trombone (premier)- PBF555 and the Bb Tenor Trombone (0.525″) – PB525. The Supertenor plays really well. It reminds me a lot of the Jay Friedmann Holton. It plays big and dark but not too dark. The slide and valve are working very well and i love the valve wrap.The playing feel is very comfortable and equal through all register and dynamics. I am very impressed by this horn. Also the Wessex mouthpiece which comes with this horn impressed me. (it´s outer shape design is similar to the Lindberg mouthpieces.) Chip told me this Wessex mouhtpiece had been new designed for trombone from a Tuba mouthpiece. It has a big bore and very comfortable rim.
It works on the Euphonium great as well.

We talked a lot about instruments and new designs. Chip and Jonathan have so many good ideas for new designs. There will come up a lot of great stuff from Wessex in the future.  Image

I´m very grateful i could meet Chip after all this time and see Jonathan again in Austria.
We had an wonderful evening and for sure we had a glas of wine too. Image

For some reason i am not able to upload pictures directly so please just take the link to my dropbox:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/08hwarycjprhaw7/AAARzRqo1Z2ZhOwx3IaVIH9na?dl=0

ttf_BassCase

Post by ttf_BassCase »

Wait........Chip is ok?
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Quote from: BassCase on Aug 21, 2017, 08:13PMWait........Chip is ok?
This was the week before he had his stroke.
ttf_BassCase

Post by ttf_BassCase »

Ohhh, thanks for the clarification.  Continued prayers. 
ttf_BassCase

Post by ttf_BassCase »

Ohhh, thanks for the clarification.  Continued prayers. 

Return to “Chit-Chat”