What Was Your First Car?

ttf_Douglas Fur

What Was Your First Car?

Post by ttf_Douglas Fur »

Quote from: EWadie99 on Jul 01, 2016, 04:14PMIf I get my licence I might want a manual. Any thoughts?
EWadie99
My fist thought was that learning to drive with a manual transmission is the old school standard. "What if you had to drive someone to the hospital and the only car had a stick?' To which you would probably reply "C'mon man, nobody drives a stick these days. When would that ever happen?"
Then I looked at your location Michigan? Heights? Snow? Hills? Learning to drive with a stick you learn tricks you can do in snow driving like "rocking" the car to get it unstuck or starting out in 2nd instead of first because you have less torque to cause you to spin out.
You probably want a nice Subaru AWD or other small AWD with a manual transmission.

Duff
A Seattle rain driver
This is the car which prompted the next two links. It came out in 1965 when I was 15. I thought the CVT transmission was so cool.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hl8KDZh_O0w
Both of these have become collector's items...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6mDnChHNlU
http://autoweek.com/article/car-life/when-volvos-had-cvts-we-take-ride-1978-volvo-343dl
ttf_BillO

What Was Your First Car?

Post by ttf_BillO »

Quote from: EWadie99 on Jul 01, 2016, 04:14PMIf I get my licence I might want a manual. Any thoughts?
There are a number of models still available.  Notably the Honda Civic, which will probably be my next car and my fourth Honda (car - had lots of Honda bikes, ATVs, generators, lawn mowers, etc...).

If you can drive a standard you can drive anything.  I think its a good idea to learn to drive one, and it's not that hard.  My 3rd car and first Honda and first new car, a 1976 Civic was a standard, and when I went to pick it up from the dealer was the first time I drove a standard.  I stalled it twice on the 15 minute drive home, but that was it.  No grinding and no damage or accidents.  Nothing to fear here.

ttf_BillO

What Was Your First Car?

Post by ttf_BillO »

Quote from: Douglas Fur on Jul 01, 2016, 06:49PMhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6mDnChHNlU

My dad owned a Justy for a while.  He said he loved it, but replaced after less than 2 years.  It sounded a little weird when you drove it, especially when you needed to accelerate hard to get up to speed entering a highway.  The engine would just rev up to about 5000RPM and stay there until you eased off on the gas.
ttf_harrison.t.reed

What Was Your First Car?

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

The only manual I could ever drive was this ancient Toyota Hilux in FOB Gardez Afghanistan.

The clutch and transmission was so ground down by years of privates abusing the vehicle that it had independently developed its own continuously variable transmission. Essentially, as you drove it, and depressed the gas, you also semi-depressed the clutch pedal and kept moving the shifter to approximate gear locations as you sped up or slowed down. It never actually ever achieved one gear or another, but it was the only way to get it to drive and it almost felt like an automatic transmission.

Genius!
ttf_Taytay051

What Was Your First Car?

Post by ttf_Taytay051 »

Quote from: BGuttman on Jul 01, 2016, 04:26PMThey aren't as easy to find as they used to be.

Around these parts 90s toyota hatchbacks are the classic first cars, cheap, small, simple, reliable, relatively safe manual transmission cars capable of driving at motorway speeds. I have to confess that although my first car was the mini, I still learnt to drive in a rusted out corolla we had on the farm.

Are these cars uncommon where you all are? Or maybe just unpopular? I cant think of a better option for a first car.
ttf_Torobone

What Was Your First Car?

Post by ttf_Torobone »

Quote from: Taytay051 on Jul 02, 2016, 03:50PMAround these parts 90s toyota hatchbacks are the classic first cars, cheap, small, simple, reliable, relatively safe manual transmission cars capable of driving at motorway speeds. I have to confess that although my first car was the mini, I still learnt to drive in a rusted out corolla we had on the farm.

Are these cars uncommon where you all are? Or maybe just unpopular? I cant think of a better option for a first car.

Manual transmissions are hard to find in North America. They are around, but harder to find.

One of my three kids had a manual for a while. That same car had roll up windows rather than electric. I remember our granddaughter saying: "That's so wrong!"
ttf_wgwbassbone

What Was Your First Car?

Post by ttf_wgwbassbone »

My last 3 cars, all Mazda 3s, gave been manual transmission-the first 2 5 spd and the current is a 6spd. I still love driving a manual. Our other 2 cars are automatic with paddle shifters. To each their own!
ttf_Molefsky

What Was Your First Car?

Post by ttf_Molefsky »

1986 Chrysler Reliant, less than 100k on it, near mint condition. Brown with gold interior...
ttf_ronnies

What Was Your First Car?

Post by ttf_ronnies »

A 1969 Fiat 850.  Pale blue.

Ronnie
ttf_Posaunus

What Was Your First Car?

Post by ttf_Posaunus »

We trombonists have certainly owned / driven some ... interesting ... vehicles!   Image
ttf_Radar

What Was Your First Car?

Post by ttf_Radar »

1977 Pontiac Ventura, was my wife's car when we got married.  I was in the Navy at the time and didn't have a reason to own one before then.

ttf_Paul Martin

What Was Your First Car?

Post by ttf_Paul Martin »

A 1987 Volkswagon Fox, a car they did not offer all that long.

I saved from my first job to I could pay the $7,500 in cash, going to the dealer with what I imagined was a briefcase full of money, but in hundreds, was this tiny little pile, and while I thought this was going to allow me to drive a hard bargain, the rep told me rather nonchalantly that "they make good money from the financing."

It was only one of 2 new cars I've ever bought.

ttf_Tbonedude

What Was Your First Car?

Post by ttf_Tbonedude »

My first car, and so far my only car, is a 1998 Oldsmobile Cutlass. Paint is "Pearl White" and interior is light brown cloth as was common in the late 90s/early 2000s GM's. It's got 180,712 miles. I'm the second owner, the first owner having been my grandparents. They drove it for 13 years, then let it sit for 3 years without moving it or starting it periodically. It has some issues, as would be apparent in the stereotypical first car and some of which are attributed to the car's 3-year slumber.

The fuel sending unit is seized so the fuel gauge is very inaccurate, AC broken, the AC compressor pulley makes a racket, Tape player broken (no CD and no AUX jack... AM/FM or go home), leaky exhaust, fluids need changed, two tires need replaced (dry rotted and almost bald), brake rotors/pads aren't great but aren't bad, and there's a brake fluid leak somewhere... at least I got the car for free!

But hey, I'm not complaining. Free wheels.
ttf_Eastcheap

What Was Your First Car?

Post by ttf_Eastcheap »

Quote from: Paul Martin on Aug 09, 2016, 02:51PMthe rep told me rather nonchalantly that "they make good money from the financing."

Last time I was in a dealership it was like visiting a bank. They didn't even try to sell me a car, just sat me down and started talking financing. When the sales rep heard "cash," he basically lost interest.

Also, they stiffed me on the promotional gimme (the advertised $10 gift card turned out to be a $1 gift card).

Needless to say, I determined never to do business there.
ttf_BillO

What Was Your First Car?

Post by ttf_BillO »

Yeah, they like their financing.  But this has been going on a long time.

Back in 1982 I bought a Deee---luxxxx Honda civic with cash (real cash).  I worked out the deal ($6464.00 - I'll never forget that), then when the sales rep started talking financing I told him I'd pay cash, $2000 now, the the rest on delivery.  He had to get the manger who tried to insist I get it financed.  Finally I had to tell them cash or no deal.  They finally agreed, but when I came to pick it up they tried to hit me for a tank of gas - like $10.  I just said no damn way.

My last car, a Honda Ridgeline, I also paid cash (well, check), but for some reason it was far less hassle than way back in '82. Image
ttf_Eastcheap

What Was Your First Car?

Post by ttf_Eastcheap »

Quote from: BillO on Aug 09, 2016, 09:29PMYeah, they like their financing.  But this has been going on a long time.

Still, it was the first time I'd visited a lot where absolutely no effort was made to actually sell me a car. Part of it, I'm sure, was that they didn't have any in stock to sell. The lot was acres of white base-model F-150s and practically nothing else.

I should have asked why they bothered sending out the advertising in the first place, seeing as they only really seemed interested in commercial/government sales. It was a waste of everyone's time.
ttf_EWadie99

What Was Your First Car?

Post by ttf_EWadie99 »

UPDATE:  Well, the Chrysler Pacifica is slowing dying and probably won't survive by the time I start driving.  I'll look into other cars once I get my drivers license.
ttf_harrison.t.reed

What Was Your First Car?

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

You need the Toyota AE86 "Hachi-Roku" Trueno, in panda black and white. Then you can attack the downhills and speed-drift your way to victory.
ttf_CJK

What Was Your First Car?

Post by ttf_CJK »

Vauxhall/Opel Corsa, 980cc 3 cylinder!

£40 to fill it with petrol and that would last me a whole month! Cracking little motor.

Since then I've had a 1.6 VW Golf GL which I loved, a Vauxhall Vectra 150 CDTi, which I hated, and now I'm on Mercedes C250 AMG which I love. Not sure where I will go next, but I have a habit of keeping cars until they die, so I could be with this one for a while!
ttf_PhilE

What Was Your First Car?

Post by ttf_PhilE »

I got my first car in 1974.  The car I am driving now is the first automatic I've owned.

It's only in the last 20 years or so that automatics have outsold manuals here in Australia.

The newer transmissions with the lock up torque converter and over drive top gear are so much better than their predecessors.

The difference in fuel consumption and performance between the newer automatics and manuals is minimal.

ttf_Terraplane8Bob

What Was Your First Car?

Post by ttf_Terraplane8Bob »

How about a 1954 Hudson "Jet Liner" ? A four door sedan with a flat head 6 cylinder engine and a 4 speed Hydra-Matic transmission.  Homely ? Yes ! Reliable ? ---  I brought my newborn son home from the hospital in a 1954 Hudson Jet-Liner --- in 1981 --- and I'll wager that it is still running somewhere! 
ttf_Burgerbob

What Was Your First Car?

Post by ttf_Burgerbob »

I started on a 1993 Toyota Truck. Yes, that is the model name. It was quite possibly the most standard vehicle ever made. 5 speed, manual everything, no AC, no power steering. Great little trucklet.
ttf_kbiggs

What Was Your First Car?

Post by ttf_kbiggs »

I learned to drive on family cars: a 72 GMC Suburban automatic and a 78 Honda Accord Hatchback 5-speed. Then I drove an old Willys Jeep flatback, 3-speed on the floor--had to "double clutch" it to shift gears.

The first car I owned was a 1969 BMW 2002 #1800--no bloody, t, i or i. Light blue, two door, four cylinders, draft carburetors, rack-and-pinion steering, disc brakes. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_New_Class#/media/File%3ABMW1500FrontSeit.JPG

I loved that car. I nicked-named it "Gucki," for Gustav Mahler--that was Alma Mahler Werhfuhl's pet name for him. Too bad I was a poor college student working at a low-wage job. I sold it for something more reliable: a VW Dasher. Meh.

ttf_kbiggs

What Was Your First Car?

Post by ttf_kbiggs »

I learned to drive on family cars: a 72 GMC Suburban automatic and a 78 Honda Accord Hatchback 5-speed. Then I drove an old Willys Jeep flatback, 3-speed on the floor--had to "double clutch" it to shift gears.

The first car I owned was a 1969 BMW 2002 #1800--no bloody, t, i or i. Light blue, two door, four cylinders, draft carburetors, rack-and-pinion steering, disc brakes. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_New_Class#/media/File%3ABMW1500FrontSeit.JPG

I loved that car. I nicked-named it "Gucki," for Gustav Mahler--that was Alma Mahler Werhfuhl's pet name for him. Too bad I was a poor college student working at a low-wage job. I sold it for something more reliable: a VW Dasher. Meh.

Return to “Chit-Chat”