The computer bug is 70 years old

ttf_robcat2075

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

Today is the 70th anniversary of the original computer "bug", found in the Harvard Mark II on September 9, 1947.

"Bug" had been in use for decades as a label for a malfunction or design flaw in a complex device, so it was with amusement that the computing team found their problem that day was an actual bug, squashed in a mechanical relay. Duly noted and logged...

ttf_11914227

Post by ttf_11914227 »

I didn't know anything about this, thank you for sharing!  Image
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

It's a piece of computer folklore.  The term "bug" came about because an actual insect caused the program malfunction.  Since then problems in computer programs have been called "bugs".

Point of pedantry: a moth is not a bug in the entomological sense, but it is an insect, as is a bug.
ttf_Todd Jonz

Post by ttf_Todd Jonz »

More interesting than the moth itself is the story of Grace Hopper, the person who logged the moth's discovery and one of the brighter luminaries in the history of computing (those of you who were lucky enough to hear Admiral Hopper speak in the '70s probably still have one of the "nanoseconds" she passed out; I still have mine.)  And just for sake of completeness it looks like it was Thomas Edison who first used the term "bug" in an engineering context.
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Is that a piece of wire just under a foot long (it takes an electrical impulse one nanosecond to traverse that wire)?
ttf_Todd Jonz

Post by ttf_Todd Jonz »

Exactly, except with radio waves.  She was often asked by military brass, politicians, and bureaucrats why it took so long for signals to propagate through a satellite, so when she spoke she'd pass out the short lengths of wire to everyone in the audience and explain, "It's because there are so many nanoseconds between here and the satellite."
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

It's a nice way to get a point across.  Much better than saying, for example, that it's one millisecond from New York to Baltimore (about 186 miles).  In fact, given the altitude of the Space Station it's one millisecond up and one more down.
ttf_oslide

Post by ttf_oslide »

Quote from: BGuttman on Today at 09:26 AM---snip---
Point of pedantry: a moth is not a bug in the entomological sense, but it is an insect, as is a bug.

Kudos to a chemist from a biologist for rectifying this.   Image

But does anyone care?  Image

ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Who cares?  Indeed.  That's why it's a point of Pedantry.

When I was young I was a Nature Counselor at a summer camp.  One of the easiest (and most rewarding) things was to capture and identify various insects.  Too many kids would see something crawling and say "Ooh, a bug -- SQUASH IT".  But after a while I taught them that some insects, like bees and lady beetles, were useful in controlling more annoying insects.  And that moths and butterflies had pretty wings (at least some of them).  And that while both a grasshopper and a mosquito were insects, they came from different insect families.

My interest in things insecta came in handy when I worked for a company that made a mosquito trap.  I was able to understand how it worked and knew the characteristics of the beast we were hunting.
ttf_timothy42b

Post by ttf_timothy42b »

But, how old is the quine?

ttf_timothy42b

Post by ttf_timothy42b »

But, how old is the quine?

Return to “Technology”