Mac OS X Sierra Questions

ttf_Driswood

Post by ttf_Driswood »

I'm running El Capitan on a Mac Mini. Everything works fine. Just curious about Sierra's compatibility with software.

I'm running Logic Pro 9.1.8, Finale 2014.5, Final Cut Pro 10.1.5, Band in a Box 2013.72, Picasa 3.9.141, Toast 14.1 - anyone have experience with these with Sierra? When I upgraded to El capitan, I partitioned my drive, installed El Capitan on the new partition, and installed software in the new partition to try it. After everything worked, I erased the partition, then upgraded to El Capitan. Might try that on a day when there's not much happening.

I have other applications, but I can either do without them, or I'm pretty sure they will run.

I won't use Siri, so that's not a thing.(No mic on my Mini) Are there any improvements over El Capitan, or would I be better staying where I am?

I'm leaning toward staying with El Capitan, just want some folks input.

Thanks,

Jerry Walker
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

I don't run any of those on my Mac, but I will say that I haven't used any of the newer features. They changed the 'spaces' from the way they were on El Capitan... or perhaps it was the one before that.  I used that pretty heavily and then had to change some settings to get it the way I anticipated it working on my quad monitor setup.  You probably won't notice anything about it; the only reason I see to keep upgrading is so that you get security updates for the life of the device. I don't know how cross-version upgrades work with Mac because I've never tried one. (E.g. Yosemite -> Sierra).

I must be the unluckiest Mac person. I've had a problem with every upgrade and had to start clean every single time. Mountain Lion -> Mavericks it wouldn't boot into the OS after upgrading at all.  The geniuses couldn't figure it out either!  I don't remember what happened with Mavericks to Yosemite, but Yosemite to El Capitan my drive encryption caused file corruption (or so the geniuses told me) so I had to wipe and start over again. Then El Capitan -> Sierra I had a simlar problem with Mountain Lion -> Mavericks.  Maybe its the Windows partition Image  So YMMV and you might not notice any issues upgrading at all.
ttf_MrPillow

Post by ttf_MrPillow »

I'd probably stop trying too if I was a perfectly good Mac and you tried to cram Windows into me Image
ttf_Exzaclee

Post by ttf_Exzaclee »

check this out regarding finale:

http://www.finalemusic.com/blog/compatibility-with-finale-notation-products-and-macos-sierra/

most relevant quote is " We are aware of two issues. Palettes do not resize properly, and the SmartMusic Markers utility (found only in Finale) will crash. (This doesn’t impede your ability to save SmartMusic accompaniments.) While we will address both issues in an upcoming free-of-charge update to Finale v.25, there will not be updates to any 2014 or 2014.5 apps.

ttf_Exzaclee

Post by ttf_Exzaclee »

Quote from: MrPillow on May 18, 2017, 06:34PMI'd probably stop trying too if I was a perfectly good Mac and you tried to cram Windows into me Image

yeah, i don't understand why anyone would use windows with a mac unless it was required for work. windows is, has been, and apparently will always be a dumpster fire.
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

Quote from: Exzaclee on May 18, 2017, 06:40PMyeah, i don't understand why anyone would use windows with a mac unless it was required for work. windows is, has been, and apparently will always be a dumpster fire.

Yeah, I was studying application development and they required Visual Studio which at the time was Windows only. Actually, it still may be...

But I use other Windows ides now that make development much easier so  Windows is still more useful so I mainboot windows 10. I've had less trouble with it than Osx in general but that's not normally the case with users nor are my uses what the average user uses a machine for.  (Say that 10 times fast!)

ttf_Exzaclee

Post by ttf_Exzaclee »

my buddy Chad still uses windonws, but he used to build computers and spends a lot of time cleaning it out. I just don't have the time for that kind of maintenance.
ttf_stanzabone

Post by ttf_stanzabone »

The test installation on a partitioned disk is a good way to go. I didn't do that, and have found that some of my plug-ins aren't happy. Mostly VST plugins not working correctly. If I have the Mac native version of the plug-in, those have been working well so far.
ttf_stanzabone

Post by ttf_stanzabone »

The test installation on a partitioned disk is a good way to go. I didn't do that, and have found that some of my plug-ins aren't happy. Mostly VST plugins not working correctly. If I have the Mac native version of the plug-in, those have been working well so far.

Return to “Technology”