Conn 30H Slide Repair

ttf_J Train

Conn 30H Slide Repair

Post by ttf_J Train »

Hey everyone!

I have a Conn 30H "Burkle" in my closet with a bit of a problem slide. The lower inner tube seems to have been crushed near the stocking at some point in it's long life, and subsequently rolled out. Now that part of the slide feels bigger than it should be. It is in good alignment, so while it's not terrible, it's not ideal either. To my untrained eye, the lower outer tube looks fine, so I think it's just the inner.

I was trying to sell this horn, but if it's fixable it might be worth more to me to have it in good shape than selling it. I really do like this horn.

So, I have three questions:

1.) Is this fixable?
2.) If yes, should I send it to the Slide Doctor, or is there someone in the Phoenix area that you trust?
3.) If not, can I get a new tube to replace it, and same as above about where to have it done?

For reference, Conn Loyalist lists this horn as having a .507 bore for the bottom tube, and it doesn't seem to be any longer or shorter than my 3B slide.

I would have provided a picture, but the damage did not photograph well.

Thanks,

Jared
ttf_klimchak

Conn 30H Slide Repair

Post by ttf_klimchak »

I have a project 28H Connstellation from the early 50s that I am looking to part with.  The slide tubes are in great shape and the same bore as the 30H.  The bell has seen some use, but the slide could be easily salvageable.  PM me if interested.
ttf_Euphanasia

Conn 30H Slide Repair

Post by ttf_Euphanasia »

Those are an odd size, but it's possible that some Olds lowers would have the right stocking diameter. You'd need the bottom inner from the Ambassador with the F-attachment. There's also a "Windsor by Buescher" that was in that medium-bore range.

Quote from: klimchak on Yesterday at 04:46 AMI have a project 28H Connstellation from the early 50s that I am looking to part with.  The slide tubes are in great shape and the same bore as the 30H.  The bell has seen some use, but the slide could be easily salvageable.  PM me if interested.

I thought the 28H was a .485 bore. The lower tube on a 30H is .507.
ttf_J Train

Conn 30H Slide Repair

Post by ttf_J Train »

Quote from: Euphanasia on Yesterday at 06:52 AMThose are an odd size, but it's possible that some Olds lowers would have the right stocking diameter. You'd need the bottom inner from the Ambassador with the F-attachment. There's also a "Windsor by Buescher" that was in that medium-bore range.

I thought the 28H was a .485 bore. The lower tube on a 30H is .507.

So would I need to purchase one of those horns in order to source the parts, or would a repair tech be able to get them in without having to cannibalize another horn?
ttf_Blowero

Conn 30H Slide Repair

Post by ttf_Blowero »

It depends how big this bulge is from the previous repair. If it's not so big as to interfere with the movement of the outer tube,  and the stocking is o.k., then it might be fixable.
ttf_Blowero

Conn 30H Slide Repair

Post by ttf_Blowero »

Quote from: J Train on Feb 01, 2018, 10:26PM

I would have provided a picture, but the damage did not photograph well.

Yeah, chrome seems hard to photograph.  It fools the auto-focus. Sometimes I have had to focus on a spot right next to the slide tube and then move the lens over without refocusing. Not sure that would even work on a phone camera.
ttf_klimchak

Conn 30H Slide Repair

Post by ttf_klimchak »

Not to hijack, but though the 28H is listed as a single .485" bore, the two I have had have definitely been dual bore horns.  The lower is something like .507" and the slide tenon is a different size than the 6H, 4H, and other more common Conn small bores.
ttf_J Train

Conn 30H Slide Repair

Post by ttf_J Train »

Quote from: Blowero on Yesterday at 08:05 AMIt depends how big this bulge is from the previous repair. If it's not so big as to interfere with the movement of the outer tube,  and the stocking is o.k., then it might be fixable.

Well, the stocking on that tube does have some wear. It's the only old Conn I have, so I don't know if it qualifies as atypical.

Would a King 3B inner do the trick? If the specs are to be trusted, there is only a .001 difference in the size of the tube. That, and the hand slide looks to be the same length. Can anyone speak to this?
ttf_J Train

Conn 30H Slide Repair

Post by ttf_J Train »

Okay, so I decided to get off the couch and try something. The 3B inner fits easily into the 30H outer, and is a huge improvement. My main concern is length, as the stocking of the 30H is about 1/8th of an inch longer, and I have no way of knowing how much of the inner tube is inside the handle.
ttf_greenbean

Conn 30H Slide Repair

Post by ttf_greenbean »

Quote from: J Train on Yesterday at 05:59 PM...

Would a King 3B inner do the trick? If the specs are to be trusted, there is only a .001 difference in the size of the tube. That, and the hand slide looks to be the same length. Can anyone speak to this?

Well, it is the outer diameter at the stocking that matters here.  But you checked a 3B inner and it seems okay, right?  The outer diameter of a 3B inner at the stocking should be .540 (per Allied).  And the length is 28 1/4 inches long.  That should work, I would think.

ttf_J Train

Conn 30H Slide Repair

Post by ttf_J Train »

Great, thanks! I think I will consult my tech this next week and see if this is feasible. Thanks everybody! I'll let you know how it goes.
ttf_Blowero

Conn 30H Slide Repair

Post by ttf_Blowero »

Don't forget, as Greenbean said, that the outer diameter of the stocking is more important than bore size. You or your tech should compare the 3B tube against the 30H tube in that regard. Different brands have different thicknesses at the stockings, so the fact that the bore size is similar doesn't guarantee the tolerance between inners and outers is the same.
ttf_Blowero

Conn 30H Slide Repair

Post by ttf_Blowero »

Don't forget, as Greenbean said, that the outer diameter of the stocking is more important than bore size. You or your tech should compare the 3B tube against the 30H tube in that regard. Different brands have different thicknesses at the stockings, so the fact that the bore size is similar doesn't guarantee the tolerance between inners and outers is the same.

Return to “Repairs, Modifications, and Maintenance”