4b problems and questions (and parts request)

ttf_baroquetrombone

Post by ttf_baroquetrombone »

I recently bought a late 70s 4b and it's clearly been knocked over on a stand or had similar damage. There's a (barely visible in the pic) kink at the elbow just below the rotor housing that seems to be enough to make the bell too close to the slide. The curved bell/thumb brace is bent a little as well. Does this seem like a possible job without major surgery or should I not bother? It seems to play perfectly well as-is, but the screwy dimensions do bother me.

While I'm at it, you might notice that the f-attachment is missing at least two screws and a bar. If anyone looking at this happens to have those parts laying around, I'd gladly take them off your hands for a reasonable price....

http://i1374.photobucket.com/albums/ag419/erikschmalz/IMG_0827_zpsqyjnekpy.jpg
ttf_Burgerbob

Post by ttf_Burgerbob »

Looks like it could have been a marching horn at some point. All the 4B/Fs at UCLA had similar damage.
ttf_modelerdc

Post by ttf_modelerdc »

I couldn't get the pictures to load but the damage you describe is fairly common. Take it to a good repair tech and get an estimate, then you can make an informed decision about having it repaired.
ttf_bonearzt

Post by ttf_bonearzt »

The linkage rod, shoulder screw & stop arm retaining screw are all available from me,  I'll send a PM with a price if you'd like.

The slide clearance, might or might not be an issue to repair.
From the pic,  it looks like it might be possible to just nudge the receiver back into position giving you the slide clearance without snapping the knuckle on the casing.

BUT!!!  There is ALWAYS the possibility that it could snap!!!
And that means major surgery to repair!!

Nice find!! King 4Bs are definitely underrated horns!!!!

Eric

ttf_baroquetrombone

Post by ttf_baroquetrombone »

Quote from: Burgerbob on Jan 16, 2018, 02:40PMLooks like it could have been a marching horn at some point. All the 4B/Fs at UCLA had similar damage.

There's a good chance it was. That's a crime. At least I only used a 606 for marching!

Quote from: bonearzt on Jan 16, 2018, 07:10PMThe linkage rod, shoulder screw & stop arm retaining screw are all available from me,  I'll send a PM with a price if you'd like.

The slide clearance, might or might not be an issue to repair.
From the pic,  it looks like it might be possible to just nudge the receiver back into position giving you the slide clearance without snapping the knuckle on the casing.

BUT!!!  There is ALWAYS the possibility that it could snap!!!
And that means major surgery to repair!!

Nice find!! King 4Bs are definitely underrated horns!!!!

Eric

I'd definitely be interested in parts. I'll probably take this down to my go-to guy in early February to see what he thinks. It would benefit from a few other things too, of course.

I've always wanted to try a 4BF, my first F attachment instrument being a (late 70s) 3BF in the mid 80s. I loved that trombone. I don't really play modern in public anymore so it doesn't really matter if this can't be put back into daily play condition, but I just couldn't pass it up for...wait for it... $45. Image

ttf_gregs70

Post by ttf_gregs70 »

but I just couldn't pass it up for...wait for it... $45.

Wow!  That is the deal of the century! 
ttf_RichEKelly

Post by ttf_RichEKelly »

I'll give you double that for it if you ever want to sell.🤣
ttf_RichEKelly

Post by ttf_RichEKelly »

I'll give you double that for it if you ever want to sell.🤣

Return to “Repairs, Modifications, and Maintenance”