Bach Bass too flat

ttf_Blowero

Bach Bass too flat

Post by ttf_Blowero »

Quote from: elmsandr on Jan 02, 2018, 10:19AMDang it, Brad, just look at the picture!  The tuning slide on the small side is actually too close to the tuning slide if you look, not too close to the handslide receiver that would be required by what you state. Recall that this ferrule from Bach is countersunk for the tuning slide receiver, so it sits flush into a shoulder on the ferrule.  That is, you can assemble the ferrule and receiver sitting on the bench without the horn. FWIW, I put the handslide receiver joint in the exact place it was on the original because I didn't want to screw up the bell rim placement relative to my face.

On this initial mount, I cheated the the small one towards the tuning slide bow because it was shorter.  The straight sections of nickel tubing are different length.  A picture isn't a good way to exactly measure this, but it is off by about 1/2".  It would still be off if the valves were sitting in the box unopened just looking at the brace locations relative to the ferrules and main tuning slide bow.  The small and large tuning slide tubes are supposed to be the same length. They were the same length on the factory parts, they were not when I mixed parts of different vintages (the entire point of the picture). For fun, I also had to trim the main tuning slide tube on the NY45 when I made that tuning slide and bell flare fit the same valve section later (and planning for a NY50 that is sitting next to it).  Having had to make the same cut several times, you tend to remember it.  Especially if you lose one of those little beauty rings on the end of the tuning slide. 

I'll take some pictures and measurements of my 42 parts later to show this if I have a chance when I get home.

Cheers,
Andy
None of that has anything to do with what I asked you. I did look at the picture, obviously, which is why I asked you those questions. But you seem to be getting upset about this for no reason, so let's just forget it, o.k.?
ttf_schlitzbeer

Bach Bass too flat

Post by ttf_schlitzbeer »

Quote from: bigbassbone1 on Dec 29, 2017, 06:42PMWhen players had smaller oral cavities?

You know, I see the terms "large" and "small" oral cavity used here quite a lot by different people. How do you know for sure if you have a large or small oral cavity? In fact what is an average oral cavity? I dont think I have ever heard of anyone going to the dentist to have them remark on the unusal size of their oral cavity. Is it dependant on how many marshmallows you can fit in your mouth at any one time?  Image

I suspect this is a made up term by trombone players.... but I would love to be proven wrong and find out where my own oral cavity sits on the scale.

The typical Wagnerian Soprano has a large oral cavity. Isn’t that obvious?
ttf_bigbassbone1

Bach Bass too flat

Post by ttf_bigbassbone1 »

Quote from: schlitzbeer on Jan 02, 2018, 12:46PM The typical Wagnerian Soprano has a large oral cavity. Isn’t that obvious?

Well obviously not to me. I am always keen to learn though. How do you know this? Are you assuming? Or is there some test wagnerian sopranos go through to find out if they have an oral cavity "large" enough to be appropriate? Do they get told not to bother if their oral cavity isnt up to a minimum size determined by someone else?
ttf_Matt K

Bach Bass too flat

Post by ttf_Matt K »

Quote from: bigbassbone1 on Jan 02, 2018, 01:23PM
Well obviously not to me. I am always keen to learn though. How do you know this? Are you assuming? Or is there some test wagnerian sopranos go through to find out if they have an oral cavity "large" enough to be appropriate? Do they get told not to bother if their oral cavity isnt up to a minimum size determined by someone else?

I can't tell if you're recognizing the joke and taking it one step further or didn't get it, but just in case: He was making a joke that sopranos talk a lot.  Anecdotally, it isn't too far from the truth  Image
ttf_bigbassbone1

Bach Bass too flat

Post by ttf_bigbassbone1 »

Quote from: Matt K on Jan 02, 2018, 01:28PMI can't tell if you're recognizing the joke and taking it one step further or didn't get it, but just in case: He was making a joke that sopranos talk a lot.  Anecdotally, it isn't too far from the truth  Image

Hahahaha!!!! Right. Thanks for the save. Definitely went over my head. The forum is a dangerous place  Image
ttf_BillO

Bach Bass too flat

Post by ttf_BillO »

Quote from: Matt K on Jan 02, 2018, 01:28PMI can't tell if you're recognizing the joke and taking it one step further or didn't get it, but just in case: He was making a joke that sopranos talk a lot.  Anecdotally, it isn't too far from the truth  Image
Well, they do have nice voices.
ttf_Blowero

Bach Bass too flat

Post by ttf_Blowero »

Last time I went to the dentist he said I had a big cavity.
ttf_timothy42b

Bach Bass too flat

Post by ttf_timothy42b »

Have you heard one sing a scale?

Do, re, me, me, me, me, me, me. 
ttf_mr.deacon

Bach Bass too flat

Post by ttf_mr.deacon »

Quote from: bonesmarsh on Jan 01, 2018, 08:58AMOne more point for somebody of a more recent vintage than myself to post about-

So many Bach basses were being cut to accommodate the use of the original length Schilke mouthpieces, that eventually Schilke changed to a standard Morse taper ( Bach taper) and Bach shank length.
I like this theory too. Would explain why not many people cut the newer basses but you'll bump into horns from the 70's and 80's with cut tuning slides.
ttf_Horn Builder

Bach Bass too flat

Post by ttf_Horn Builder »

How many soprano's does it take to change a light bulb?

1 to stand on the chair to change the bulb

1 to kick the chair out from under the first one

and 1 to stand and say "I could do it better than that"!!

M
ttf_Horn Builder

Bach Bass too flat

Post by ttf_Horn Builder »

How many soprano's does it take to change a light bulb?

1 to stand on the chair to change the bulb

1 to kick the chair out from under the first one

and 1 to stand and say "I could do it better than that"!!

M

Return to “Repairs, Modifications, and Maintenance”