Dented slide

ttf_Zandit75

Dented slide

Post by ttf_Zandit75 »

Not a happy camper. Was playing some Xmas carols down the main street of  town, in windy conditions.
My music went flying, and stupidly I went to grab it, but my slide went as well.
I initially thought I had somehow got away with out any damage, but then I had to reach for 6th & 7th position. The slide grabs.
I have a slight dent in the top sleeve, about 2" down from the slidelock.
As mentioned, it doesn't affect play in the first 5 positions, but it must drag slightly on the top inner slide where it flares.
Apart from sending it to a tech, is there any tips for doing this myself?
Timing couldn't be worse since I have two Xmas gigs this week, which includes our major Xmas concert on Friday night where I'm playing a solo.
Any advice would be appreciated.
ttf_BGuttman

Dented slide

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Anything you try yourself will probably make things worse.

Deal with the action until you can get it repaired properly.
ttf_JohnL

Dented slide

Post by ttf_JohnL »

Do not try to do it yourself. As Bruce said, you could easily make it worse. Take it to someone who has the right tools and knows how to use them.

You may have to try to borrow a horn to get through your Christmas gigs.
ttf_Zandit75

Dented slide

Post by ttf_Zandit75 »

Thanks Guys, the trom is already on it's way to a tech, who has said they can get straight onto it for us. I was too disgusted in myself that I didn't even look at it.
I have my older Besson Sovereign to tide me over, but wow, it is not good going back to this old clunker compared to the Shires!!
I've only had the Shires for 3mths, but I can't understand how I even played the Besson! Image Image

ttf_daveyboy37

Dented slide

Post by ttf_daveyboy37 »

It happens. no matter how careful you are, sometimes damage is unavoidable. Brass thankfully is soft, and pieces can be replaced if they are damaged beyond repair.
ttf_Zandit75

Dented slide

Post by ttf_Zandit75 »

Thanks Daveyboy, Hopefully I'll hear later today if there were any issues.
I'll update as soon as I hear anything.
ttf_Blowero

Dented slide

Post by ttf_Blowero »

Quote from: Zandit75 on Dec 08, 2017, 06:33PM
Apart from sending it to a tech, is there any tips for doing this myself?

Yes: Don't.

(I'm glad you didn't try to fix it yourself.)
ttf_Zandit75

Dented slide

Post by ttf_Zandit75 »

I get my baby back tonight, ready for another carols gig!
At least I won't have to play the old Besson again anytime soon!
ttf_Zandit75

Dented slide

Post by ttf_Zandit75 »

Thankfully, everything is AOK!!
You can barely see where the dent was before, it's only visible at certain angles, and lighting conditions.
I was initially worried, when I moved the slide for the first time, it felt worse than before.
I have no idea what he used for slide cream, it felt more like Clag Glue!! I applied water spray which seemed to work for 2secs, then it was bad again.
Once I got the trom home, a quick wipe down and wash in the bath fixed all my worries!
ttf_Zandit75

Dented slide

Post by ttf_Zandit75 »

Thankfully, everything is AOK!!
You can barely see where the dent was before, it's only visible at certain angles, and lighting conditions.
I was initially worried, when I moved the slide for the first time, it felt worse than before.
I have no idea what he used for slide cream, it felt more like Clag Glue!! I applied water spray which seemed to work for 2secs, then it was bad again.
Once I got the trom home, a quick wipe down and wash in the bath fixed all my worries!

Return to “Repairs, Modifications, and Maintenance”