BAM X Light Trombone Case Repair

ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I have an old BAM X Light case made of the sort of pleather(plastic leather) material and I've been having this problem for a while, but with how much use my case is getting used the tearing of the material is getting worse. The tear is happening right where the backpack strap goes into the case. I've heard of just filling the tear with epoxy, but that's sort of a it may work may just make a mess repair in my head.

Any suggestions on a repair that'll prevent further tearing?

Thanks!
ttf_john jenkins

Post by ttf_john jenkins »

I have the same case (which is incredible), and I've used quality fabric glue (Aleene's) to not only bond the pleather material, but also the fabric covering the polyfoam material to the inside of the case. Be sure to use it in moderation; tooth picks or Q-tips might help with precision application.
ttf_Sue

Post by ttf_Sue »

Does the pleather have sort of a "rubberized" feel to it? If it's the case I'm thinking of, rather than trying to glue the torn seams together, it might be better to use a patch, such as the ones made for repairing tires or pool liners. Another thought is to use a very thin coat of rubber cement to attach strips of a flexible material (an innertube from a bicycle tire comes to mind) especially if there are multiple tears to the outer shell material.
ttf_Sue

Post by ttf_Sue »

Does the pleather have sort of a "rubberized" feel to it? If it's the case I'm thinking of, rather than trying to glue the torn seams together, it might be better to use a patch, such as the ones made for repairing tires or pool liners. Another thought is to use a very thin coat of rubber cement to attach strips of a flexible material (an innertube from a bicycle tire comes to mind) especially if there are multiple tears to the outer shell material.

Return to “Repairs, Modifications, and Maintenance”