Where does the oil go?

ttf_randyb

Where does the oil go?

Post by ttf_randyb »

Curious.  I have a Bach 42 with a Thayer valve.  I use about 16-20 drops of Hettmans #13 oil once a week and maybe 6 drops mid week.  The valve works fine and I clean my slide every couple days and before performances.

My question is....Where does the oil disappear too?

Thanks
Randy
ttf_BGuttman

Where does the oil go?

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Some of it evaporates.  Some of it is absorbed by the metal.  Some of it dribbles down your slide.  I can't give you any percentages, though.
ttf_Posaunus

Where does the oil go?

Post by ttf_Posaunus »

Quote from: randyb on Oct 04, 2017, 10:07AMCurious.  I have a Bach 42 with a Thayer valve.  I use about 16-20 drops of Hettmans #13 oil once a week and maybe 6 drops mid week.  The valve works fine and I clean my slide every couple days and before performances.

My question is....Where does the oil disappear too?

Thanks
Randy

16-20 drops sounds like a lot of oil to me.  The oil may not be "disappearing; you may instead be accumulating excess oil in the F-attachment tubing! 

Hetman's #13 is a "Light Bearing & Linkage Oil" meant for the spindle bearing. etc. of the valve actuating lever and linkage, not for inside the valve.  For the valve itself, you should probably use a light valve oil (perhaps Hetman's #11 Light Rotor Oil or Ultra-Pure Professional Valve Oil or Edwards Rotor Oil.  (I successfully use piston valve oil - Hetman or Ultra-Pure - for the interior of my conventional rotor valves.) 

For how to apply oil to an axial-flow valve, see the Edwards video: 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxmSwbVyMZY
ttf_randyb

Where does the oil go?

Post by ttf_randyb »

Thanks for your replies.  My mistake - I use the Hettmans #12 and it usually takes at least 16 drops for it to run out like the Edwards video shows.

Thanks
ttf_Blowero

Where does the oil go?

Post by ttf_Blowero »

I don't care what the Edwards video says; you don't need that much oil.
ttf_timothy42b

Where does the oil go?

Post by ttf_timothy42b »

I put too much oil in my standard rotor last Saturday, and now my slide lube is lasting a day instead of a couple weeks.  that suggests to me it's running down into the slide. 
ttf_randyb

Where does the oil go?

Post by ttf_randyb »

That has been happening to me also which is what prompted my question.  I am probably using to much oil at one time.  I may try the idea of putting in a few drops every couple of days.
ttf_randyb

Where does the oil go?

Post by ttf_randyb »

While we are on the subject....I use a little Dawn dish soap periodically to clean the oils off my slide.
Does any one have a favorite product they use to "cut" any oil that finds its way down the slide?

Thanks
ttf_timothy42b

Where does the oil go?

Post by ttf_timothy42b »

Dawn is what I use too. 
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Where does the oil go?

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

You need 2 or 3 oils. Hetman 13 for the spindles, just a drop on each end. Hetman 11 on the rotor core. Possibly Hetman ball joint if you have mechanical linkages. The amount you need of each is very small.
ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist

Where does the oil go?

Post by ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist »

I have some trombones that haven’t had rotor oil in years. They still move quickly, smoothly, and quietly. I guess the oil stays where it is  Image Image
ttf_Burgerbob

Where does the oil go?

Post by ttf_Burgerbob »

Rotors and Thayers need pretty different amounts of oil.

I oil my (worked on by Benn, in top-top shape) Thayers every couple days or they leak/slow down.

Any rotor may move well without oil, but it probably won't seal or play well without it.
ttf_timothy42b

Where does the oil go?

Post by ttf_timothy42b »

Quote from: Full Pedal Trombonist on Oct 04, 2017, 11:02PMI have some trombones that haven’t had rotor oil in years. They still move quickly, smoothly, and quietly. I guess the oil stays where it is  Image Image

Yeah, I did too, until discussion here and in our bone choir group recently.

So I started oiling my 1971 42B. 

Some of the uncertainty in the trigger range went away.  I thought it was me, and some of it is, but there was apparently a contribution from the valve not sealing. 

It probably wore faster than necessary, too.

But I think I overdid it.  I'll oil more sparingly next time.

Where does the oil go?

No noticeable difference in my old bass before and after oil. And I’m still trying to get my large tenor chops back up so, perfectly oiled or not, I expect my inconsistency is my own as much as it could be the rotor. An interesting thing to think about, though!

Where does the oil go?

No noticeable difference in my old bass before and after oil. And I’m still trying to get my large tenor chops back up so, perfectly oiled or not, I expect my inconsistency is my own as much as it could be the rotor. An interesting thing to think about, though!

Return to “Repairs, Modifications, and Maintenance”