Future Classics

ttf_Pteranabone

Future Classics

Post by ttf_Pteranabone »

Just throwing out a purely subjective question for discussion:

What music (any genre) composed in the first part of this century do you think will be widely acclaimed as a significant, meaningful work by critics, historians, academicians, and knowledgeable, cultured public at the end of the century?
ttf_robcat2075

Future Classics

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

Just looking at the track record of past predictions... nearly impossible.

I feel like we're in a bit of a dry zone right now, although possibly some movie music will hold up.

I think Ricardo Muti made the observation that although he's conducted numerous premieres in his career, none of them have gained any traction in the concert world.

ttf_robcat2075

Future Classics

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

Example of how things come and go... 

Here is one of Gustav Mahler's programs at the NY Philharmonic.  Stuff he thought was worth performing in 1911.

Mendelssohn?  OK.

But... Martucci? Busoni? Bossi? Sinigaglia? Nearly forgotten today.

ttf_Pteranabone

Future Classics

Post by ttf_Pteranabone »

Your posts provide some good perspective, Robcat.

Taking it forward in time and switching idioms,   I wonder if in the 1930s, people realized that Duke Ellington's music (for example)  would endure?

ttf_robcat2075

Future Classics

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

Quote from: Pteranabone on Apr 11, 2017, 03:58PM
Taking it forward in time and switching idioms,   I wonder if in the 1930s, people realized that Duke Ellington's music (for example)  would endure?

I suspect not. In Ellington's case i bet it didn't hurt that he had a long performing career where he could plug his legacy and hold on until it could be re-discovered.

A bit like Rachmaninov.  He didn't compose much new in the last 25 years of his life but he performed what he had composed quite a bit, keeping it alive into the radio and recording age.

ttf_robcat2075

Future Classics

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

Quote from: Pteranabone on Apr 11, 2017, 03:58PM

I suspect not. In Ellington's case i bet it didn't hurt that he had a long performing career where he could plug his legacy and hold on until it could be re-discovered.

A bit like Rachmaninov.  He didn't compose much new in the last 25 years of his life but he performed what he had composed quite a bit, keeping it alive into the radio and recording age.

Return to “Music, Concerts, and Recordings”