If you could have only 3 horns...

ttf_Johnny_verhoeven

Post by ttf_Johnny_verhoeven »

Quote from: "BoomtownRath"Quote from: "Johnny_verhoeven"Tenor : B&H Regent.

(Sorry Johnny hope I didn't spoil your day  Image )

Not at all, I don't realy care what others think.
ttf_JohnL

Post by ttf_JohnL »

I've got my three, and no one is making anything like 'em...

Small bore: Late 30's Super Olds
Medium-to-large bore: Late 40's King 1485S Symphony (.536", Silvertone bell)
Bass: Olds P24G

Honorable Mention: Olds O15 Opera (straight, all nickel silver).

If I had to make a living with my horns, I would probably have to go with newer gear - all of these horns are relics of bygone eras with sounds that would generously be referred to as "dated". On the other hand, I love them in spite of (or perhaps because of) their anachronistic qualities. The only thing that could replace any of them would be the same horn in better condition.

By the way - yes, I do seem to have a fondness for nickel silver. The Symphony has nickel outers, the Super and the P24G are mostly nickel except the bell, and the Opera speaks for itself. I've noticed some interest in nickel silver bells of late, but I doubt that we'll ever seen nickel used to the same degree as the Opera or even the Super and the P24G again.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Jazz tenor - Mt. Vernon 12.
Orch tenor - A Bach that blows like my edwards..... maybe a Bach Mt. Vernon bell on my edwards then? eh.  std valve though.. sick of the axial
bass- Rath monster.. forget its name but its a fun little  beast.

and yes john im still depressed about hearing the destroyed MV 42 story.
ttf_ElShaddai

Post by ttf_ElShaddai »

Quote from: "JohnL"I've got my three, and no one is making anything like 'em...

Small bore: Late 30's Super Olds
Medium-to-large bore: Late 40's King 1485S Symphony (.536", Silvertone bell)
Bass: Olds P24G

Honorable Mention: Olds O15 Opera (straight, all nickel silver).

If I had to make a living with my horns, I would probably have to go with newer gear - all of these horns are relics of bygone eras with sounds that would generously be referred to as "dated". On the other hand, I love them in spite of (or perhaps because of) their anachronistic qualities. The only thing that could replace any of them would be the same horn in better condition.

By the way - yes, I do seem to have a fondness for nickel silver. The Symphony has nickel outers, the Super and the P24G are mostly nickel except the bell, and the Opera speaks for itself. I've noticed some interest in nickel silver bells of late, but I doubt that we'll ever seen nickel used to the same degree as the Opera or even the Super and the P24G again.

Nice list! My current horns:

Small bore: Reynolds Professional (~1947, .500", 7.5" brass bell)
Medium bore: Reynolds Contempora (1960, .520", 8.5" bronze bell) and Reynolds Argenta (1968, .515", 8.5" bell, solid nickel silver)
Bass tbn: Reynolds Contempora (1970, .565", 10" bronze bell, double valves)

Just bought the Professional and will be evaluating it soon. Probably will need to move out one of the medium bores to keep peace at home - most likely the Argenta. Wonderful horn, I just want to try the small stuff for a while.
ttf_JohnL

Post by ttf_JohnL »

Quote from: "contempora corner"Probably will need to move out one of the medium bores to keep peace at home - most likely the Argenta.
If you decide to let it go, let me know. An Argenta would be a nice battery mate to my Opera.
ttf_ElShaddai

Post by ttf_ElShaddai »

Quote from: "JohnL"Quote from: "contempora corner"Probably will need to move out one of the medium bores to keep peace at home - most likely the Argenta.
If you decide to let it go, let me know. An Argenta would be a nice battery mate to my Opera.

Okay, will do. There's actually one person in front of you right now; if that falls through, I'll let you know. You can see pics of the horn here: http://www.pbase.com/eedwards/argenta.
ttf_Ellrod

Post by ttf_Ellrod »

... I'd have to chose between:

early 60's 88H (

mid 60'd 6H

mid - 70's 3B

new Shires .525

'90's Edwards bass
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I have bowed out of the bass trombone arena, so this makes my choices easier.

I would need three good tenor trombones.

1) A straight jazz tenor, 500 or 508/509 bore.  My Bach LT16M fills that role fine.  I might like a King 2B or 3B better, will be looking into that.  I have ruled out the sub-500 bore horns by listening to great artists who play this size horn.  If I don't like the sound THEY get (I don't, especially), I doubt if I'll like this sound -I- would get.

2) A versatile 525 tenor with F attachment -- one I could play almost any solo or section tenor part on.  My Yamaha 684 fills this role.  I like this horn a lot and plan to keep it until I croak.

3) A sweet 547 setup with a couple of slides and bell sections, mainly to play light through heavy orchestra stuff.  I would probably go to Edwards for this.

That would do it for me.  Number 3 is what I lack.
ttf_droffilcal

Post by ttf_droffilcal »

I pretty much have my wish list of horns in my house -- restricting the keepers to only three is cruel because they are all so freaking good......... 

But here goes:

1967 Conn 8H (ask Slipmo)

1938 Conn 78H (again, ask Slipmo)

sentimental pick -- 1939 Conn 32H:  it's got some flaws, but I can't get over the sound, which haunts me everytime I think about it.

ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Conn 8H with a Denis Wick Gold 5AL mpc

King 3B Silver Sonic with Bach 7C Silver Mpc

King 6B Duo Gravis Symphony Bass with Bach 2G Mpc
ttf_CRWV

Post by ttf_CRWV »

-Rath R3F
    neckpipe and valve section interchangeable, lightweight slide, elkhart style bell

-Rath R4F
    (see above), heavier yellow, soldered bell

-Rath R9
    Tis dualbore slide, Bb/F/Gb/D, heavy yellow soldered bell
    Interchangeable single and double valve section.

a tricked out DE setup, probably a 114-k or l-wide backbore, and a 3G or 4G rim with a 5G cup, and a C cup, 2 shanks of course, all with similar rim shapes.

I'm kind of a Rath fan
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Quote from: CRWV on Jan 26, 2007, 10:29AMI'm kind of a Rath fan

hmm.  couldn't tell.
ttf_svenlarsson

Post by ttf_svenlarsson »

Well, my answer is hypothetic since I have to play more three horns in my work situation.
If I exclude the tuba,the sackbuts (and occasionally contrabass trombone)I do exclude the single trigger Bach 50 also to make it three.I also exclude all the horns I have just for fun and sentimental
reasons.
I do like what I have a Bart van Lier K&H 500 bore tenor, easy played, good sound, can take lots of power and also good for soft playing.
My Bach 42 is a result of years trying and looking around, a good horn easy high and low range, good slide.
What I play the most at the moment is my favorite bass, Kanstul tis stacked valves. Very nice horn. Is it 1662?
ttf_sabutin

Post by ttf_sabutin »

Regardless of practicality?

Regardless of what kinds of music I might have to play that I do not particularly WANT to play?

Regardless of having to blend with people who do not play the way I do in order to make a living?

Regardless of what is available on the open market at the present time?

A slide tuning .500 or sub-.500 horn (possibly dual bore) that played with many of the characteristics of a great King 2B but had that TIS blow. Gold plated or maybe a sterling silver bell. 7.75" or 7.5" bell.

A slide tuning .525 or .547 (also possibly dual bore) that played JUST like my '30s red brass Conn 76H. Only new. With another identical bell that had a TruBore valve on it. 8" bell, probably a small shank receiver on it even if it was a .547. (Not sure about that part.)

A slide tuning bass that was as easy to play and as good sounding as my old Dave Taylor-modified red brass Holton (TR-169? It had no model number on it when I bought it from Dave.) in the tenor ranges but had the snap, mass and openness of blow in the bass range of the great Conn TIS basses of the '40s + '50s, w/an inline TruBore valve system.

Dream on, Sam...

S.

ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

fun question~

1)bach42bos , silver plated , which is my primary instrument now
2)edwards T350, red brass unsoldered bell, tbcn slide
3)edwards bass. didnt play bass before, but it must be a great instrument. i think i wont be a good bass player, so probably a double standard rotor is gd enough for me(its also much cheaper!)

Kin
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

The two horns I have now plus my next one.  Wait, that doesn't answer the question.

The three most expensive Theins made, so I could sell them and buy six or seven SWEET classic Bachs, Kings and Conns (love to have a 6H, a 3B SS, a couple bigger Mt. Vernon Bachs).  Wait, that doesn't answer the question.

OK, my 30H Burkle, my Benge 170 and a Shires .525 that I don't own yet.  Hey, I'm almost there.

This list subject to change without notice.
ttf_The Sheriff

Post by ttf_The Sheriff »

Sam, what is it that you like so much about the blow of a TIS trombone as compared to a non-TIS trombone?

Were the TIS trombones that you liked so much, also dual bores?
ttf_cnubandgeek

Post by ttf_cnubandgeek »

Easy.

My Shires .547/.562 Nickel Slide, 2RVET7 bell tru-bore tenor

A Shires 1Y .562 tru-bore bass

Ok, so the third one isn't so easy... Either a King 3B, a Conn 6H, a Conn 44H or a Shires .500 straight horn.  Some day..... Sigh.
ttf_sabutin

Post by ttf_sabutin »

Quote from: The Sheriff on Jan 27, 2007, 11:34AMSam, what is it that you like so much about the blow of a TIS trombone as compared to a non-TIS trombone?

Were the TIS trombones that you liked so much, also dual bores?

On a good one?

A perfectly even blow, up and down. Especially through the  Image Image to Image area. At any volume. Timbrally even, too. No vast changes of timbre from soft to loud. More definite attacks when needed as well. Like a whiplash which immediately recedes to velvet.

And a GORGEOUS sound. More overtones sounding on any given note, to my ear. Every note carries more information. Being lazy, that means I don't have to play as many notes.  Image Image Image Each note is more like a chord. If of course anyone is listening and the acoustic situation is good enough to hear such things.

Yes, both the TIS horns that I most liked...the only ones I have owned that were in (marginally) good enough shape  to play were '30s Conn red brass dual bores. A 76H (.522/.547) and a 70H (.547/.565). MONSTROUS sounds, and so easy to play. I have also liked .500 bore 40Hs but never owned one that was playable, and several smaller Olds horns from the early 1900s that are GREAT instruments but only work for me in ragtime and New Orleans styles, neither of which do I play very often.

I* have played many of Lewis Kahn's old TIS Conns, both dual and single bores, and they are all great instruments. Also a number of more contemporary single bore Conn basses from the 40s and '50s. Also special.

And a Kanstul TIS bass that I also liked a great deal.

What I like most about them is the blow. It is simply better.

For me, anyway.

And I feel it on the dual AND single bore versions.

The dual bore ones just have this incredible resonance as well.

You know, the whole idea of TIS is to get a constant taper through the bell section. Well...dual bore offers even more of that good thing. Especially if the side crook is properly tapered as well.

That's my story anyway, and I'm stickin' to it.

Later...

Sam

S.
ttf_The Sheriff

Post by ttf_The Sheriff »

Excellent, as always, Sam.

So I suppose they lost favor with the manufacturers and not the players because of cost and relative difficulty to manufacture them?

Or was it the fact that they tend to be a bit nose heavy? It's nice to see Kanstul offering them, and I'd love to see a small bore TIS from them sometime soon.

What about Williams? He made them. I wonder why he switched over to tuning in the bell? Perhaps not enough of a difference for most players so he (and other makers too) went with what is easier to make. I dunno but I'd love to hear some thoughts on the subject.
ttf_sabutin

Post by ttf_sabutin »

Quote from: The Sheriff on Jan 27, 2007, 03:11PMExcellent, as always, Sam.

So I suppose they lost favor with the manufacturers and not the players because of cost and relative difficulty to manufacture them?

Or was it the fact that they tend to be a bit nose heavy? It's nice to see Kanstul offering them, and I'd love to see a small bore TIS from them sometime soon.

What about Williams? He made them. I wonder why he switched over to tuning in the bell? Perhaps not enough of a difference for most players so he (and other makers too) went with what is easier to make. I dunno but I'd love to hear some thoughts on the subject.

I think it is as simple as changing fashion.

Changing sound styles.

Maybe the advent of recording. I mean...they can hardly capture the sound of a normal trombone.

Whatever.

I'm sure it was some sort of financial decision.

If they sold...they would have continued to be made.

S.

ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

well, they continue to be sold.  it seems like more and more people are switching over to them and getting turned on to the idea of a TIS.

i'm actually considering getting one sometime in the future.   Image
ttf_fkin

Post by ttf_fkin »

HI,

may i ask: what is a TIS trombone?

THX!

Kin
ttf_sabutin

Post by ttf_sabutin »

Quote from: phantom_boner on Jan 27, 2007, 11:01PMwell, they continue to be sold.  it seems like more and more people are switching over to them and getting turned on to the idea of a TIS.

i'm actually considering getting one sometime in the future.   Image

I have tried...to no avail...to interest several major makers in producing a full line of TIS horns over the past 15 years. I am happy that some people are doing so, and cannot wait to try them.

I understand the reluctance of various companies to invest the requisite time and money in the design and manufacture process of a new (old) idea. You KNOW that the instruments will have to be tweaked and tested; you know that the trombone world is quite conservative...especially the major money markets for high end horns, universities and orchestral players...and you know that even if a major company hit a solid home run on say an orchestral tenor, smaller tenor and bass in TIS form, it would STILL take years for those designs to filter down through the ranks from us horn crazies to "Dad, I need a TIS horn so hat I can blend well at Juilliard."

Or wherever...

I predict that if someone does so...I mean hit a real home run, produce horns that are the equal of (if not superior to) the classic '30s Burkle Conn designs...they will take over the high end of the market in much the way that Edwards, Shires, Rath and now all the smaller European makers have done over the last 10 years or so.

But it's a gamble.

And the way the world economy is set up right now, gambling is risky. Everyone is running scared of the crash.

This current crop of high end instrument makers...they ALL started during the Clinton boom years.

Since Clinton got honey trapped...it's been all downhill.

Bush jazz, Bush orchestras, Bush schools, Bush money, bush league.

So it goes.

Come the upswing...maybe then.

We shall soon see.

I certainly hope so.

Later...

S.
ttf_zemry

Post by ttf_zemry »

Quote from: fkin on Jan 28, 2007, 12:35AMHI,

THX!

Kin

Tuning in slide....the mechanism for tuning the trombone is licated as part and parcel of the slide as opposed to the bell section.
ttf_Euphanasia

Post by ttf_Euphanasia »

Quote from: fkin on Jan 28, 2007, 12:35AMHI,

THX!

Kin

Once upon a time, there was a fellow who was down on his luck,
and as he was looking through the classifieds, he saw an
intriguing ad offering a ten million dollar reward to the person
who could find and retrieve, intact, something called a "TIS
trombone." 

Am I the only one who has heard the shaggy dog story about the "TIS bottle"? 

http://people.cornell.edu/pages/bs16/Christmas/the_tis_bottle.txt
ttf_sabutin

Post by ttf_sabutin »

Quote from: Euphanasia on Jan 28, 2007, 07:21AMOnce upon a time, there was a fellow who was down on his luck,
and as he was looking through the classifieds, he saw an
intriguing ad offering a ten million dollar reward to the person
who could find and retrieve, intact, something called a "TIS
trombone." 

Am I the only one who has heard the shaggy dog story about the "TIS bottle"? 

http://people.cornell.edu/pages/bs16/Christmas/the_tis_bottle.txt

Deep.

S.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Quote from: sabutin on Jan 28, 2007, 06:34AMI have tried...to no avail...to interest several major makers in producing a full line of TIS horns over the past 15 years. I am happy that some people are doing so, and cannot wait to try them.

I understand the reluctance of various companies to invest the requisite time and money in the design and manufacture process of a new (old) idea. You KNOW that the instruments will have to be tweaked and tested; you know that the trombone world is quite conservative...especially the major money markets for high end horns, universities and orchestral players...and you know that even if a major company hit a solid home run on say an orchestral tenor, smaller tenor and bass in TIS form, it would STILL take years for those designs to filter down through the ranks from us horn crazies to "Dad, I need a TIS horn so hat I can blend well at Juilliard."

Or wherever...

I predict that if someone does so...I mean hit a real home run, produce horns that are the equal of (if not superior to) the classic '30s Burkle Conn designs...they will take over the high end of the market in much the way that Edwards, Shires, Rath and now all the smaller European makers have done over the last 10 years or so.

But it's a gamble.

And the way the world economy is set up right now, gambling is risky. Everyone is running scared of the crash.

This current crop of high end instrument makers...they ALL started during the Clinton boom years.

Since Clinton got honey trapped...it's been all downhill.

Bush jazz, Bush orchestras, Bush schools, Bush money, bush league.

So it goes.

Come the upswing...maybe then.

We shall soon see.

I certainly hope so.

Later...

S.

its sad... we've just about hit the upswing this time around... with the fed jumping interest rates again to slow the economy, were going to have to wait a while till we get to the next peak, where something like this can happen.

i don't think it's the "oh, i need this TIS horn to make me all i can be musically", either.  its more of a "well, this is nice to have", or, "this is another tool in my arsenal", or, "this is the one horn i've been looking for forever" for those few who the horn and TIS just totally mesh.

because of these reasons, it is seeming like a more "boutique" horn, even in the future of them possibly becoming more available.

who knows.  we might get lucky?  either way, with there at least being some availability, i think that the market is going to either stay the way it is, or only grow very slowly at best.
ttf_Falkon

Post by ttf_Falkon »

Old school King 3B silversonic
Some sort of dual bore medium-large concert horn 4h?
A nice Shires or Edwards
ttf_prototypedenNIS

Post by ttf_prototypedenNIS »

My Reyn(Olds)vbone
Miraphone Contrabass
Benge 190F
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Only 3 huh? Kind of hard since I own more than that, but here's the list I would throw down.
1) Shires Large bore with 1G bell, TB47YC slide, VEL leadpipe, Thayer valve. (have)
2) Shires Bass trombone Specifics unknown yet.
3) King 2B Whigham model. I think.

I really think that these are nice, but I really don't know what I will need in the coming years. We'll see.
ttf_SephoRa

Post by ttf_SephoRa »

i got an edwards and thein tenor ...

for the 3 free horns..

i'll probably choose..

1) Edwards B-454 (go personally to the stop shop and fix up one suitable for me)

2) Thein Bass Bone (either the double hagmann or star valves)

3) Either a nice Contra-Bass Bone or a Hirsburner Euph...
_________________________________________________ _________________

all the hopes and wishes...

just need a lucky streak at the local lottery to be able to buy them in real...
ttf_Jox

Post by ttf_Jox »

Hmmm Lemme change mine.

1.Edwards Bass trombone
2.Thein Contrabass in F
3.Yamaha 822

Others
1. Thein or Alexander Bass Trumpet
2. Any good CC tuba
3. Bass Sax or Oboe (I want to learn either one!)
ttf_Ellrod

Post by ttf_Ellrod »

Well, I've got six and decided to put my .525 up for sale along with my .508.

That leaves a bass, two .547's and my 6H.
ttf_Leanit

Post by ttf_Leanit »

(1) The oldest NY Bach on earth.
(2) A good .525 with a fast slide and a (gag) trigger. My LT36CO seems to suffice.
(3) An alto, to make me feel better about my tenor playing. Conn, please.

- Matt
ttf_SandyMBarrows

Post by ttf_SandyMBarrows »

Conns 36H, 88HTOCL, and 62HI.
ttf_CRWV

Post by ttf_CRWV »

Quote-Rath R3F
    neckpipe and valve section interchangeable, lightweight slide, elkhart style bell
-Rath R4F
    (see above), heavier yellow, soldered bell
-Rath R9
    Tis dualbore slide, Bb/F/Gb/D, heavy yellow soldered bell
    Interchangeable single and double valve section.
a tricked out DE setup, probably a 114-k or l-wide backbore, and a 3G or 4G rim with a 5G cup, and a C cup, 2 shanks of course, all with similar rim shapes.
I'm kind of a Rath fan
Edit: Rath R4 with neckpipe and valve, TIS, and a heavy yellow unsoldered bell.
Rath R9 with single and double valve sections, TIs, and (see above)
and a good tuba, perhaps a Miraphone 1292-NY CC, or Meinl Weston 2145/55/65.

ttf_Mancini

Post by ttf_Mancini »

3 horns of choice...

Bach 50B/Greenhoe
Kanstul 1662 TIS
Vintage Conn 72H

Cheers,

A

ttf_faskissimo

Post by ttf_faskissimo »

1. Greenhoe Bach 42
2. vintage Bach 36 (no valve)
3. an "Arthur Pryor" sized trombone (2H, 4H, 2B.  Something under .500 bore)
(honorable mention - a Conn 36 alto)

The first horn is what I use when teaching lessons, and the default horn that I can use for just about anything.  The bell has been thinned out, but it holds up pretty well on loud playing, too.

I had a 90's Bach 36 a couple of years ago, but there was something hollow in the sound.  Good facility, and the lightness in the sound I liked, but it was just too vanilla for me.  I have a feeling that an older 36 would have that "character" in the sound I'm looking for.  I'd use it mostly for quintet, or early opera works like Magic Flute where first is on an alto and the bass is on a .547 tenor. 

The third horn is part of an idea I want to make happen someday.  I'd like to do an entire recital of Pryor solos.  I'm sure it's been done before, but those pieces would be so fun to prepare and perform on a period instrument.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

1. Getzen 3047 AFR
2. Conn 88H (Getting soon)
3. Bach Strad 36BO

I was supposed to be getting the getzen...but...that plan went amiss. I will be getting the 88H and soon exchanging it for the 3047AFR.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

1. King 3B SS
2. King 2b SS
3. Conn 88H

May I have 3 bass trombones as well?
ttf_Dantheman

Post by ttf_Dantheman »

Conn 6H
Conn 40H
King Duo Gravis
ttf_Chris Fidler

Post by ttf_Chris Fidler »

Inderbinen Piccola
Conn 88H
Conn 62H

Honorary mention Shires .500

Say what?
Oh yeah, i already have them............ Image Image Image Image Image
ttf_Francis

Post by ttf_Francis »

Rath 4F
King 2B
Edwards B454
ttf_Labdiscoduck

Post by ttf_Labdiscoduck »

King 2B+ Silversonic (a good one)
mid 50's Conn 6H- a good one
Inderbinen Piccola

So far I'm 0 for 3!   
ttf_Patrick Bates

Post by ttf_Patrick Bates »

The three I use currently out of the stable are
1)my first horn, a garden variety bach 42 (with F) purchased new about 1980
2)my first bass, a King 6B
3)a 3B silver plate, closest thing I've played to right (for me) in a smaller horn.
The Duo needs bearing plates on the f valve, and the 3B needs some slide work, but I'm happy with the three of them.
ttf_Paul Martin

Post by ttf_Paul Martin »

Luckily, there is no moral aspect to running through horns like you're some sort of brass addict, so, on this very date, and considering "all the horns I've loved before...":

NY Bach 6
Rath R2 with NS bell
"earlyish" Bach 36B

I'm such a horn whore, though, ask me in six months, can you get red rot from playing too many different instruments?
ttf_slidemansailor

Post by ttf_slidemansailor »

Wow. Three. What a luxury.

Long answer:
A year ago I got to answer the question, "If you could have only ONE horn..."
I still think I nailed it with my Conn 88HCL  .525/.547

This month I'm treating myself to answer the question, "If you could have only TWO horns..."   Well, I guess I'm really answering the question "If you have to buy a jazz lead horn without getting to play a wide variety of makes, models and samples, given that the one King 2B and one King 3B you played didn't fill the bill, what would you buy?"  So I'm a few days from ordering a Yamaha 697Z.

Short answer:
Conn 88HCL  .525/.547
Yamaha 697Z

The third one will be the first one I play that does something I want to do better for me than the two above do.  I don't know if I'll run across it, but I sure hope I can afford it if and when that happens.
ttf_ntalarico

Post by ttf_ntalarico »

King 2B
King 3B
Yamaha .525/.547 like they made for Steve Turre
ttf_JimArcher

Post by ttf_JimArcher »

In new condition:

Bach 50 Independent, 80s

Olds Super