Next Horn

ttf_Andrew Pacht

Next Horn

Post by ttf_Andrew Pacht »

I am about to be a Freshman music ed major at Fredonia.  I currently bought a Rath R4F from a forum member, and I LOVE the horn.  Now I'm trying to move my Bach 42BO.  (I am not selling it on TTF, I have friends and my lesson teacher's students that may be interested.)  I'm probably going to get about $1,400 for it, and that money is going to go towards the new horn.

I've been thinking a while about getting a small bore.  I tend to play bright, so anything smaller than a 3B is going to get very very bright.  I would either get a straight 3B or a straight 3BSS if I were to get a small bore horn.

Yesterday, in my lesson, my teacher and I were talking about horns in the future.  He knows that I like playing a lot of jazz, so we were talking about horns.  Then he asked me if I had considered buying a bass bone.  I hadn't thought about that.  I played his bass from time to time for concerts, but I really hadn't considering getting my own any time soon.
(At some point in my life, I want to have a 2B or similar horn, a 3B or 3BSS, my Rath, and some sort of independant bass)

Playing bass trombone in the past has helped my tenor playing.  It has forced me to open up my sounds and get in as much air as possible.

What are your thoughts?  A good used bass would probably be $1600-2000, but I could make that work if I needed to.  (Do not send me messages telling me what horns you have for sale, I'm going to get adjusted to everything in college before getting another horn)

I plan on playing in jazz bands at college. but I don't know what parts I'll be on.  My Rath would be fine for 3rd, but it might be tiring playing something like lead on a large bore horn.

Who knows, I may get up to college to find someone selling a horn for a sweet deal that I can't pass up.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!

Andrew
ttf_cozzagiorgi

Next Horn

Post by ttf_cozzagiorgi »

My personal experience:

I get much more gigs with a Large bore Tenor and a Bass trombone than with a small bore tenor and a large bore tenor.

Bass and tenor are two different instruments in my book. Whereas large and small bore are the same instrument, just... different. Know what I mean?

Of course, the most versatile two-horn option would be a .525 horn and a bass.

What do you prefer? Playing bass or lead (first, second etc...). It's up to you, your needs and your wishes.
ttf_anonymous

Next Horn

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Personally, I would stick with smaller horns. Don't just dabble with bass. Unless you're going to commit to it, leave it alone. Once you're out of school, it doesn't really matter as much unless you go pro. My experience is that for a tenor player, the bass kind of makes you think slower. I'll probably take some heat for that, but bass parts don't generally move around as much as tenor parts, and articulation, especially fast articulation, I find to be more difficult on bass. Plus, unless you're made of money, you get more horn for your buck with smaller horns. I've got a collection of horns, and a bass was the last thing I added.
ttf_BGuttman

Next Horn

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

I'm going to take issue with Dezignstuff on the articulation statement.  I just played bass on a jazz band concert and had faster articulations than the other bones primarily when doubling with the bari sax.  Also, there are lots of licks in Orchestra where the bass has "all the action".

That said, you're not going to need a really nice small bore while you are at college.  Especially if you plan on playing in Marching Band.  Get a garage sale Yammie 354 or King 606.  Use it for lead in jazz band and on the football field.

You might want to have a backup for the Rath.  What happens if it suddenly needs repairs?  You might want to see about getting a good intermediate horn like a Bach 36B or a Yamaha 684 which will be a lighter version of your Rath and can still pitch in if the Rath is out of commission.

If you find yourself playing a lot of bass trombone, then maybe something like a Getzen 1052 or Yamaha 613 (or my favorite, a King 7B).  Get it used and cheap but not abused.
ttf_Andrew Pacht

Next Horn

Quote from: cozzagiorgi on Aug 12, 2014, 06:38AMMy personal experience:

I get much more gigs with a Large bore Tenor and a Bass trombone than with a small bore tenor and a large bore tenor.

Bass and tenor are two different instruments in my book. Whereas large and small bore are the same instrument, just... different. Know what I mean?

Of course, the most versatile two-horn option would be a .525 horn and a bass.

What do you prefer? Playing bass or lead (first, second etc...). It's up to you, your needs and your wishes.

At this point, any bass gigs while I'm at college would go to the bass players.  I get what you're saying about the large and small bores being the same but different.  I think I prefer playing lead.

Quote from: BGuttman on Aug 12, 2014, 06:55AM
That said, you're not going to need a really nice small bore while you are at college.  Especially if you plan on playing in Marching Band.  Get a garage sale Yammie 354 or King 606.  Use it for lead in jazz band and on the football field.

You might want to have a backup for the Rath.  What happens if it suddenly needs repairs?  You might want to see about getting a good intermediate horn like a Bach 36B or a Yamaha 684 which will be a lighter version of your Rath and can still pitch in if the Rath is out of commission.

If you find yourself playing a lot of bass trombone, then maybe something like a Getzen 1052 or Yamaha 613 (or my favorite, a King 7B).  Get it used and cheap but not abused.

Fredonia doesn't have a marching band, so it would just be for jazz at this point in time.  I would like to get a good enough horn that it would last me forever, and I think the $1,500 area would be fine for that.

I probably wouldn't be playing a lot of bass, but I have found that some bass playing helps my tenor playing in terms of support and air flow.

Before I posted this, I was definitely leaning towards a small bore.  I still am, but just wanted to get some perspectives.  Thanks to everyone so far in responding and giving their opinion!
ttf_anonymous

Next Horn

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Quote from: Andrew Pacht on Aug 12, 2014, 07:24AMAt this point, any bass gigs while I'm at college would go to the bass players.  I get what you're saying about the large and small bores being the same but different.  I think I prefer playing lead.

Fredonia doesn't have a marching band, so it would just be for jazz at this point in time.  I would like to get a good enough horn that it would last me forever, and I think the $1,500 area would be fine for that.

I probably wouldn't be playing a lot of bass, but I have found that some bass playing helps my tenor playing in terms of support and air flow.

Before I posted this, I was definitely leaning towards a small bore.  I still am, but just wanted to get some perspectives.  Thanks to everyone so far in responding and giving their opinion!

You yourself have said it.

IMVHO, I'd stick with small bore and large bore if I were you. You say you want to play lead, and I don't think bass would be the way to go if you want to do that.

Bass takes work of it's own, and does require you sticking to it.

Lean further towards a small bore, and get some advice on which one to buy here on the forum. These guys know their stuff.

Also, you may want to have a back-up horn. If you use a large bore when you should use a small, it is not ideal. Use a bass when you should use a large or small, just not acceptable.

Again, MHO.
ttf_wgwbassbone

Next Horn

Post by ttf_wgwbassbone »

Hey Dezignstuff. I'm not sure what bass trombonists you listen to on a regular basis but your views are some of the most effed-up I've read in a long time.
ttf_Andrew Pacht

Next Horn

Quote from: LowBrassKing on Aug 12, 2014, 07:34AM
Lean further towards a small bore, and get some advice on which one to buy here on the forum. These guys know their stuff.

Also, you may want to have a back-up horn. If you use a large bore when you should use a small, it is not ideal. Use a bass when you should use a large or small, just not acceptable.

I started a thread before about small bore horns, and I have a pretty good idea as to what I'm going to go after.

A couple people have said I should keep my Bach as a back-up horn, but honestly, what college kids have large bore back up horns?  I think I know of one forum member that I talked to has a straight and valved large bore horn, but that's about it.  Even a 36 w/F would probably run about $1,000 and I don't think it would work having four horns around with the playing I'll be doing in school.  (My Rath, my someday small bore, then a backup, plus my euphonium)

Thanks for the response!
ttf_daveyboy37

Next Horn

Post by ttf_daveyboy37 »

How are the Olds small bores for warmth and such? I've never really had much time on one. Also Kanstul and Yamaha make some nice offerings.

Bass trombone is nice, but as others have said, bass and tenor are really two different instruments, just as alto and tenor are. You need to have the time to devote to both, and more than you would with a big bore and small bore tenor.

A king 3B is a good horn, good for pit, good for jazz, good for everything.
ttf_anonymous

Next Horn

Post by ttf_anonymous »

wgwbassbone,

My comments are from my own experience dabbling in bass bone. We're talking about doubling here, not about people who are dedicated bass bone players. In general, look at any score, with the higher voices on top and lower ones on the bottom. Generally speaking there is more motion on top. I know there are exceptions, but in general, the lower voices move more slowly. I don't mean to insult anyone, that's just the way it is.
ttf_TromboneMonkey

Next Horn

Post by ttf_TromboneMonkey »

I'd be wary of any assumptions about horn size/bore and relative 'darkness' or 'brightness'.  To my ears, a Bach 6 plays 'darker' than any of the other small-bore Bach horns; a King 2b in some ways plays 'darker' than a 3b; Bachs in general play 'darker' than Kings or Conns, etc.  

With that said, if you prefer a .508 or larger because it's an easier transition from your large bore, that is understandable.  I do 99% of my work on small bore horns, and my 'large' bore is therefore a Bach 36.  
ttf_anonymous

Next Horn

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Quote from: Andrew Pacht on Aug 12, 2014, 07:45AMI started a thread before about small bore horns, and I have a pretty good idea as to what I'm going to go after.

A couple people have said I should keep my Bach as a back-up horn, but honestly, what college kids have large bore back up horns?  I think I know of one forum member that I talked to has a straight and valved large bore horn, but that's about it.  Even a 36 w/F would probably run about $1,000 and I don't think it would work having four horns around with the playing I'll be doing in school.  (My Rath, my someday small bore, then a backup, plus my euphonium)

Thanks for the response!

I understand what you mean about having 4 instruments around.

You may be able to get away with the Rath, small bore and Euph, but in the event that the Rath needs a slide allignment or the valve needs work, you better pray that the small bore sound 'large.'

It is one of those things that you probably will be able to do without, but would be nice to have.

Any music stores that rent large bores close by?

Also, what small bore are you thinking about? I'm just curious here  Image

ttf_dj kennedy

Next Horn

Post by ttf_dj kennedy »

try  a  brass bell  3b    side by side w  a silver sonic
  and bear in mind that 3b   do vary  quite a  bit
-------
 if you are playing on the bright side  some mpc  picking and 
  breath control  can  knock some of the brittleness off
-----------------
also kanstul  h8  leadpipe  is cool in 3b
------------
  the darkest  3bs  -well you gotta  ask  someone who deals in 3b

Quote from: Andrew Pacht on Aug 12, 2014, 06:21AMI am about to be a Freshman music ed major at Fredonia.  I currently bought a Rath R4F from a forum member, and I LOVE the horn.  Now I'm trying to move my Bach 42BO.  (I am not selling it on TTF, I have friends and my lesson teacher's students that may be interested.)  I'm probably going to get about $1,400 for it, and that money is going to go towards the new horn.

I've been thinking a while about getting a small bore.  I tend to play bright, so anything smaller than a 3B is going to get very very bright.  I would either get a straight 3B or a straight 3BSS if I were to get a small bore horn.

Yesterday, in my lesson, my teacher and I were talking about horns in the future.  He knows that I like playing a lot of jazz, so we were talking about horns.  Then he asked me if I had considered buying a bass bone.  I hadn't thought about that.  I played his bass from time to time for concerts, but I really hadn't considering getting my own any time soon.
(At some point in my life, I want to have a 2B or similar horn, a 3B or 3BSS, my Rath, and some sort of independant bass)

Playing bass trombone in the past has helped my tenor playing.  It has forced me to open up my sounds and get in as much air as possible.

What are your thoughts?  A good used bass would probably be $1600-2000, but I could make that work if I needed to.  (Do not send me messages telling me what horns you have for sale, I'm going to get adjusted to everything in college before getting another horn)

I plan on playing in jazz bands at college. but I don't know what parts I'll be on.  My Rath would be fine for 3rd, but it might be tiring playing something like lead on a large bore horn.

Who knows, I may get up to college to find someone selling a horn for a sweet deal that I can't pass up.

Andrew

ttf_Andrew Pacht

Next Horn

Quote from: LowBrassKing on Aug 12, 2014, 08:33AM
Any music stores that rent large bores close by?

Also, what small bore are you thinking about? I'm just curious here  Image

I'm sure I would be able to get a large bore horn should my Rath go to the shop.

Looking at getting a King 3B at some point.  .508 bore
ttf_Andrew Pacht

Next Horn

Quote from: dj kennedy on Aug 12, 2014, 09:21AMtry  a  brass bell  3b    side by side w  a silver sonic
  and bear in mind that 3b   do vary  quite a  bit
-------
 if you are playing on the bright side  some mpc  picking and 
  breath control  can  knock some of the brittleness off
-----------------
also kanstul  h8  leadpipe  is cool in 3b
------------
  the darkest  3bs  -well you gotta  ask  someone who deals in 3b

Who deals in 3Bs that would have more insight?

I saw a 3B bell in the classifieds and I have been considering getting it, but I don't know if I want to spend $300 on a bell section of a horn that I don't have, and a bell section that I may not even use.  I think the bell came from you DJ.
ttf_WaltTrombone

Next Horn

Post by ttf_WaltTrombone »

Andrew, I would go more towards the small-bore than the bass for the next horn, if you have to choose just one. Like you said, there'll be plenty of time and opportunity to get a bass later, once college madness dies down. Bass trombone can probably wait, until you're ready to do much more than dabble in it. If you're going to make that kind of investment, treat it as a serious double, where you need to shed like a dedicated bass trombonist. It ain't just a breathing workout. I wouldn't worry about a backup horn, either, at this point. If something does happen to the Rath, there'll be enough extra large bores lying around at a college for you to use in the meantime, or you can use the small bore, depending on the circumstances.
ttf_sabutin

Next Horn

Post by ttf_sabutin »

Quote from: Andrew Pacht on Aug 12, 2014, 06:21AMI am about to be a Freshman music ed major at Fredonia.  I currently bought a Rath R4F from a forum member, and I LOVE the horn.  Now I'm trying to move my Bach 42BO.  (I am not selling it on TTF, I have friends and my lesson teacher's students that may be interested.)  I'm probably going to get about $1,400 for it, and that money is going to go towards the new horn.

Andrew

OK, Andrew.

here's trhe deal.

You say that you "...like playing a lot of jazz." What does that mean, really? To you. this is important to the discussion. You just got out of high school and you're going to Fredonia. Do you know what kind(s) of "jazz" you will be playing there? Big band? Small ensembles? What idioms? Will you be playing orchestral music as well? Right now you have a .547 trigger tenor that will fit very well in most Western European orchestral idioms, as a mainstream-style big band horn on lower parts and as a solo instrument in many say post-1956 styles of jazz solo playing. (Post-J.J. Johnson.) It can be shoehorned into playing lead in big bands, but the timbre is almost never really right for the job. Even playing 2nd it will usually be a little too big sounding unless of course the whole section is playing similar instruments, at which point you might consider going somewhere else if you are serious about the music because the college-level bands I hear with all .547 sections just sound terrible to anyone who really knows what's up. If you find as a soloist that you want to play with a broader set of influences it also won't really fit. Teagarden, Trummy Young, the great Basie and Ellington trombonists, Rosolino, Dorsey, Urbie Green, Britt Woodman, the whole latin scene? Nope. Not really.

And...bass trombone is a beautiful thing if you learn how to play it.

So there you are, stuck in the middle with only enough money to get one instrument on either side of your .547.

Your choice.

Do you want to learn how to play the whole history of "jazz," including all of the Central/Caribbean/South American idioms, the early New Orleans styles, the swing era and later big band styles, etc? Get a good sounding small bore...King 3B is a good choice, as are good .500 bore Conns (6H, 100H) and most sub-.525 Bachs...and dig in.

Or become a large bore jazz player...Slide Hampton comes to mind...and you'll also be able to double on bass. In many respects, bass trombone parts are the most interesting writing in the brass section of good big bands.

Like I said...your choice.

Good luck...

S.

P.S. Most professional NYC "jazz" players who also make their living as working freelance musicians have at least three horns...a straight small bore, a medium (.525) or large bore w/a trigger and a bass. That about covers it. Make your choice and then fill in the blanks later.

P.P.S. I've been at it for quite a while and have gotten progressively more specialized as far as horns...and m'pces...go. Now I have 6 sizes of trombone...485, .500, .508, .525, .547 and a bass...plus a tuba, a euphonium and a .500 bore valve trombone. I have them because I need them in order to make a living, and I also need them to play the musics that I love at a high degree of proficiency. So it goes.
ttf_sabutin

Next Horn

Post by ttf_sabutin »

Quote from: Andrew Pacht on Aug 12, 2014, 09:41AMWho deals in 3Bs that would have more insight?
Nobody.

QuoteI saw a 3B bell in the classifieds and I have been considering getting it, but I don't know if I want to spend $300 on a bell section of a horn that I don't have, and a bell section that I may not even use.  I think the bell came from you DJ.

Careful.

If you can't actually play the horn and you don't have money to lose, don't gamble. DJ knows his stuff.

Also...if you have a car, I would strongly suggest making a day trip to Dillon Music in NJ. They always have a whole wall of used horns plus a good stock of new ones. You want to know the difference between a brass bell and silver bell 3B? No better place to find out. You might luck out there as well and find a horn...not necessarily a 3B...that you like at a price that you can afford.

Otherwise...just listen to DJ.

Later...

S.
ttf_Andrew Pacht

Next Horn

Quote from: sabutin on Aug 12, 2014, 09:55AMOK, Andrew.

here's trhe deal.

You say that you "...like playing a lot of jazz." What does that mean, really? To you. this is important to the discussion. You just got out of high school and you're going to Fredonia. Do you know what kind(s) of "jazz" you will be playing there? Big band? Small ensembles? What idioms? Will you be playing orchestral music as well? Right now you have a .547 trigger tenor that will fit very well in most Western European orchestral idioms, as a mainstream-style big band horn on lower parts and as a solo instrument in many say post-1956 styles of jazz solo playing. (Post-J.J. Johnson.) It can be shoehorned into playing lead in big bands, but the timbre is almost never really right for the job. Even playing 2nd it will usually be a little too big sounding unless of course the whole section is playing similar instruments, at which point you might consider going somewhere else if you are serious about the music because the college-level bands I hear with all .547 sections just sound terrible to anyone who really knows what's up. If you find as a soloist that you want to play with a broader set of influences it also won't really fit. Teagarden, Trummy Young, the great Basie and Ellington trombonists, Rosolino, Dorsey, Urbie Green, Britt Woodman, the whole latin scene? Nope. Not really.

And...bass trombone is a beautiful thing if you learn how to play it.

So there you are, stuck in the middle with only enough money to get one instrument on either side of your .547.

Your choice.

Do you want to learn how to play the whole history of "jazz," including all of the Central/Caribbean/South American idioms, the early New Orleans styles, the swing era and later big band styles, etc? Get a good sounding small bore...King 3B is a good choice, as are good .500 bore Conns (6H, 100H) and most sub-.525 Bachs...and dig in.

Or become a large bore jazz player...Slide Hampton comes to mind...and you'll also be able to double on bass. In many respects, bass trombone parts are the most interesting writing in the brass section of good big bands.

Like I said...your choice.

Good luck...

S.

P.S. Most professional NYC "jazz" players who also make their living as working freelance musicians have at least three horns...a straight small bore, a medium (.525) or large bore w/a trigger and a bass. That about covers it. Make your choice and then fill in the blanks later.

P.P.S. I've been at it for quite a while and have gotten progressively more specialized as far as horns...and m'pces...go. Now I have 6 sizes of trombone...485, .500, .508, .525, .547 and a bass...plus a tuba, a euphonium and a .500 bore valve trombone. I have them because I need them in order to make a living, and I also need them to play the musics that I love at a high degree of proficiency. So it goes.

I don't neccesarily know if I want to venture that deep into jazz, but I'll definitely be playing in big bands where I will more than likely end up on 1st on 2nd at some point. 

It's funny you say NYC Freelancers use medium bore horns for large stuff because I bought my Rath from a NYC freelancer who could do his large stuff on a Bach 36 haha!
ttf_Andrew Pacht

Next Horn

Quote from: sabutin on Aug 12, 2014, 10:01AM\

If you can't actually play the horn and you don'y have money to lose, don't gamble. DJ knows his stuff.

Also...if you have a car, I would strongly suggest making a day trip to Dillon Music in NJ. They always have a whole wall of used horns plus a good stock of new ones. You want to know the difference between a brass bell and silver bell 3B? No better place to find out. You might luck out there as well and find a horn...not necessarily a 3B...that you like at a price that you can afford.

Otherwise...just listen to DJ.

Later...

S.

I'll probably wait until I get a horn.  If this bell section still happens to be around, I may snatch it if I have money to.

Thanks for all of your input and advice!!!
ttf_anonymous

Next Horn

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Please do not under value the advice people like DJ and sabuin give you.

Really don't under value any advice on this forum, but these guys know their stuff.
ttf_Bimmerman

Next Horn

Post by ttf_Bimmerman »

I would consider other small bores too than just the 3B. A good Bach 16m might suit you better, or a Conn. Try everything and use what works. I prefer the 16 to the 3B for most jazz work and the 2B to the 16m for lead. I just got a Bach 8 that is giving the 2B a run for its money.....point is, try everything and ignore the name on the horn. What works for me likely won't for you.

Also, you dont need to spend $1500 on a small bore. I bought a 2B off of the classifieds here for $500, with a refreshed slide, and that horn has been great. I would say since you're a freshman, keep your Bach and Rath and find a cheap small bore. Once you figure out what you want to actually play going forward, change equipment if you need to. A .547 and a .500ish will take you far.
ttf_TromboneMonkey

Next Horn

Post by ttf_TromboneMonkey »

Quote from: Bimmerman on Aug 12, 2014, 06:48PM

I just got a Bach 8 that is giving the 2B a run for its money...

It got there safely!  I'm glad it's working  Image
ttf_Bimmerman

Next Horn

Post by ttf_Bimmerman »

Quote from: TromboneMonkey on Aug 12, 2014, 07:17PMIt got there safely!  I'm glad it's working  Image

Yup, arrived today but have only had 20min to play it. I'm liking it so far!
ttf_daveyboy37

Next Horn

Post by ttf_daveyboy37 »

Quote from: sabutin on Aug 12, 2014, 10:01AMAlso...if you have a car, I would strongly suggest making a day trip to Dillon Music in NJ. They always have a whole wall of used horns plus a good stock of new ones. You want to know the difference between a brass bell and silver bell 3B? No better place to find out. You might luck out there as well and find a horn...not necessarily a 3B...that you like at a price that you can afford.

I should mention that according to their website, Dillon Music has FOUR Selmer Boleros, and a few other Selmer Paris Horns. They are, spec-wise, around the same as a king 3b.  Heck they even look a bit like a king with the curved front bell brace. I have heard great things about them, even from former King 3B lovers. There is also a selmer "largo" that is sometimes seen.

Have you been to Dillon Music? It's worth the trip to get a chance to blow through a whole bunch of horns in a short amount of time.
ttf_Andrew Pacht

Next Horn

Quote from: daveyboy37 on Aug 12, 2014, 07:43PM

I should mention that according to their website, Dillon Music has FOUR Selmer Boleros, and a few other Selmer Paris Horns. They are, spec-wise, around the same as a king 3b.  Heck they even look a bit like a king with the curved front bell brace. I have heard great things about them, even from former King 3B lovers. There is also a selmer "largo" that is sometimes seen.

Have you been to Dillon Music? It's worth the trip to get a chance to blow through a whole bunch of horns in a short amount of time.

I was there a few weeks ago.  I played on some 2Bs and 3Bs, but I was mostly there playing on large bore horns.  I liked one of the 3Bs I played, but I didn't neccesarily care for the other one.  I'm leaving for college next week, so I can't imagine when I will make it back to Dillon's in the near future.
ttf_JimR

Next Horn

Post by ttf_JimR »

Quote from: Andrew Pacht on Aug 12, 2014, 09:41AMWho deals in 3Bs that would have more insight?

I saw a 3B bell in the classifieds and I have been considering getting it, but I don't know if I want to spend $300 on a bell section of a horn that I don't have, and a bell section that I may not even use.  I think the bell came from you DJ.

As info, I am selling the 3B bell.  I got it from DJ probably 6-7 years ago but only AFTER much discussion with him on my needs.  I would NOT recommend buying this bell or any other trombone "part" at this stage of your development.  Call DJ, talk to him, tell him your goals, how much you can spend and LISTEN to his recommendation.  I have done that on multiple occasions as have so many others here.

I am selling this bell because it is part of a 3B "backup" horn and I have a F bell also - don't really need both bells for a backup horn.  I would NOT want to sell you the bell given your circumstances.

Did I mention to call DJ?

Cheers
Jim
ttf_Steven

Next Horn

Post by ttf_Steven »

Quote from: Andrew Pacht on Aug 12, 2014, 07:55PMI was there a few weeks ago.  I played on some 2Bs and 3Bs, but I was mostly there playing on large bore horns.  I liked one of the 3Bs I played, but I didn't neccesarily care for the other one.  I'm leaving for college next week, so I can't imagine when I will make it back to Dillon's in the near future.

Thanksgiving?  Christmas?  The day after Thanksgiving, Dillon's is usually a bit of a mad house with customers in town for the holiday.  This is fine when what you mostly want is to be left alone with the instruments. 

Going to Dillon from here, I usually grab Metro North in Poughkeepsie, get from Grand Central to Penn Station, then take the North Jersey Coast Line to Woodbridge.  It saves wear and tear.  I guess Amtrak would take you directly to Penn Station, saving the bit on the Subway, but I've never done that.
ttf_Andrew Pacht

Next Horn

Quote from: Steven on Aug 13, 2014, 07:27AMThanksgiving?  Christmas?  The day after Thanksgiving, Dillon's is usually a bit of a mad house with customers in town for the holiday.  This is fine when what you mostly want is to be left alone with the instruments. 

Going to Dillon from here, I usually grab Metro North in Poughkeepsie, get from Grand Central to Penn Station, then take the North Jersey Coast Line to Woodbridge.  It saves wear and tear.  I guess Amtrak would take you directly to Penn Station, saving the bit on the Subway, but I've never done that.

Not sure, probably sometime when I'm home from college, probably between semesters.  I'm sure I could round up friends and make a day out of it.
ttf_dj kennedy

Next Horn

Post by ttf_dj kennedy »

this is a  nice bell  --!!!!  from the engraving --a  post eastlake  pre 2103 
 AND   a complete 3B  from this era is  very desirable in the MIAMI  REGION
--------------
 for reasons unknown --but guessed  at --the  3bs  from this specific  time frame 
   are   usually super solid players  with  a denser  tone   that will take  much fff

----------
i have had  many variations  from ''THE SPLASH =A FREAKSHOW''   this flare was very thin --UNSOLDERED BEAD  !!!!!!!!!!!!! YEAH  !!!!!
        along with a hot blowing slide    --this had to be-- volatile AND  volcanic  ---was  bought  by a  very knowing  tryee 
          who played  nimble and  quick--who appreciated  the  taste --and  wanted  a  more unique  voice  --
             also at same show --a  ropy bell in mint    --that went to  MIAMI  !!!    these two  are about as opposite as it gets
==================
  silver sonics are totally  variable   ----the sgx   and anniversary  being  the  most  consistant  --some flares being  very  heavy
    some thinner   ---along with the  differing  leadpipe  and overall resistance  ---there are some outstanding  sonics
===================
 b/f   fattachment ----WHY  NOT  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!--i have  often gotten fatt 3bs   with intent    to convert to straight [done many times]
       however some blow  just fantastic --so best  not to mess 
======================
  gold brass  flares  -again depends on  the  resonance of flare  --from very dark -less  cut ---to a more  edgy  at certain volume
    most often  occuring in  variants  like 3b+   and benge 170 freelance
---------------------
 currently  studio has  perhaps  10-12  3bs --and it is a joy when  top players  come to pick  out a particular  one
   because  then and only then    do the   personalities  of these  excellent  3bs   emerge
--------------
 cody  henry ///rodney lancaster // scott bentall// chris moncelli //doug bert//steve frejus// brett barlow//bob conger//zac lee//brent wallarab //aaron chandler //chops katzen//luke malewitz//david themie//bruce smith//---gobs of college  boys ---and NO GRADE SCHOOLERS  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!--and virtually no locals either
=================
   a  ''typical''  vintage[55-62] --3b  is quirky  and be stubborn  -can resist -twist  and  perplex -
    can be tempermental  -demanding  --
 basically   one must adjust explore  get used to   be surprized  find  new things  not force   nor expect too much
  there is something special  about these  undefined   unexplainable --the case  -the feel --
      especially  for one in  a ''jj  phase''    3bs  have a lot of discovery
--------
  as  does  every trombone  fancy  or  humble
in the end it comes  down
to
you

Quote from: JimR on Aug 13, 2014, 07:02AMAs info, I am selling the 3B bell.  I got it from DJ probably 6-7 years ago but only AFTER much discussion with him on my needs.  I would NOT recommend buying this bell or any other trombone "part" at this stage of your development.  Call DJ, talk to him, tell him your goals, how much you can spend and LISTEN to his recommendation.  I have done that on multiple occasions as have so many others here.

I am selling this bell because it is part of a 3B "backup" horn and I have a F bell also - don't really need both bells for a backup horn.  I would NOT want to sell you the bell given your circumstances.

Did I mention to call DJ?

Cheers
Jim

ttf_sabutin

Next Horn

Post by ttf_sabutin »

Post taken down...I didn't realize this was an old thread.

Sorry...

S.
ttf_Dukesboneman

Next Horn

Post by ttf_Dukesboneman »

As a freshman going into Music school (and Fredonia is a Great School) Don`t rush into the unknown too fast. You have no idea what is ahead of you for the next 4 years.
Sell the Bach and WAIT. You may find that the "Classical" side of the horn really calls you. You may find in a year or so you`d like an Alto.
Or the "Jazz" horn you pick now isn`t really what you want but you had to have one now.
Relax.
Let the year and your College career settle in and then find out what you really need and not just what you want.
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Next Horn

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

Guys, this thread ended three years ago.
ttf_sabutin

Next Horn

Post by ttf_sabutin »

Quote from: harrison.t.reed on Aug 13, 2017, 08:54AMGuys, this thread ended three years ago.

Yup.

When I clicked on the "Show unread posts since last visit" above...which I do regularly...it glitched sent me into the past. The "Wayback" past. And there I saw a post from someone who has seemed to me recently to be a little...off. I thought he was being off now, but I see he was doing it much earlier.

Sorry...

S.
ttf_Duffle

Next Horn

Post by ttf_Duffle »

Make a feature of your brightness, get a Jiggs or Connstellation........
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Next Horn

For the win
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Next Horn

For the win

Return to “Instruments”