What leadpipes do you guys use in your TIS Bass Trombones?

ttf_mr.deacon

Post by ttf_mr.deacon »

Hello! I'm just putting a feeler out there!

What leadpipes do you guys use in your TIS Bass Trombones? I'm currently on the leadpipe hunt again!

I'm especially curious if any of you have spent any significant time on a Brassark BH62 pipe!

What are your opinions on Brad's seamed copper pipes in a TIS Bass?

Thanks!
ttf_Burgerbob

Post by ttf_Burgerbob »

We should get together and swap some... I have two press-fit 50 leadpipes you could try. One new, one old.
ttf_Bob Weller

Post by ttf_Bob Weller »

I use a MK Drawing GR brass leadpipe in my Minick 62H but also like the Schatz #3 leadpipe. For years I used an original Minick C. Every leadpipe varies from the same maker. I also have my original 62H with the original fixed Conn pipe that plays great. I haven't tried Brad's pipes.

Thanks, Bob
ttf_hyperbolica

Post by ttf_hyperbolica »

I use a Kanstul 62. Used to use the Kanstul GR2, both are very nice. In my Kanstul 1662i.
ttf_jimkinkella

Post by ttf_jimkinkella »

I've tried the BH62 in seamed copper, it was a bit dark for me.
Response is really nice and comfortable, though.

Right now I'm using a Conn 62C in one horn and a stock 60H in another.
Been thinking about picking up an MK GR in nickle, should be interesting if nothing else.

I have seamed copper pipes in a couple of other smaller horns that I really like, just depends on the horn.
ttf_mr.deacon

Post by ttf_mr.deacon »

Thanks for the responses!

The instrument in question is a Minick J tuning crook style bass trombone that used to have a Minick C pipe in it. The pipe was damaged and needed to be replaced, I've been looking for a replacement since I bought the horn. Right now I've got a Brassark MV50B pipe in it but I feel like the pipe is a hair too tight for this horn... what I do like about the pipe is that it tames the unfocused nature of the horn.

I tried a slew of pipes at Hornguys. The Kanstul 62H pipe, Kanstul Minick C pipe and Shires #2 pipe all made the horn blow very well but I lost all the character in my sound I was getting with my Brassark pipes or any stock Bach pipes I've tried. So I'm probably going to stay away from Kanstul and Shires pipes.

jimkinkella, thank you for the response about the seamed copper! Looks like I should stick with YB. I remember trying your Greenhoe TIS bass at your place and that thing still haunts my dreams!

Bob, I'll look into picking up a MK GR pipe. I had a prototype when they first came out but it wasn't the best fit for the Holton I had at the time so my impressions of it are a bit skewed. If it works great in your Minick 62H I'll definitely have to consider picking one up! I also found the Schatz #3 and Brassark Schatz style pipes to be a good fit for TIS horns. The particular Schatz pipe I have is a hair too unfocused for the Minick bass I have ): Worked perfect in the TR185 I used to have!

Burgerbob we'll have to for sure get together sometime! You'll get a real kick out of the horn if you spend a little more time blowing on it!

Anyone one else have experience with leadpipes and TIS bass trombones?
ttf_jimkinkella

Post by ttf_jimkinkella »

Hey Philip,
I've tried a BH62 seamed copper in that horn, spent quite a bit of time with it.
I liked the sound best with a Shires B2, but the Brassark was the most consistent and stable pipe to play that I tried.
Super cool horn, just not what I was looking for.
You're going to sound quite a bit different than me, so it might be worth asking Brad if he's got one hanging around to at least check out.
ttf_blast

Post by ttf_blast »

Okay, here's another option that has served me well in the past.... a Callet pipe if you can find one... great with TIS Conns.
Regarding ALL pipes, they vary from example to example.... keep looking, keep trying.

Chris Stearn
ttf_Bob Riddle

Post by ttf_Bob Riddle »

I love my Callet pipe for Bass Trombone. Have not been playing any bass trombone lately.Not looking to sell mine,but for the right $$ just might.

Bob
ttf_Bob Riddle

Post by ttf_Bob Riddle »

I love my Callet pipe for Bass Trombone. Have not been playing any bass trombone lately.Not looking to sell mine,but for the right $$ just might.

Bob

Return to “Accessories”