Affordable Buzz Aids

ttf_bonedaddy66.2

Affordable Buzz Aids

Post by ttf_bonedaddy66.2 »

Hello everyone, I am trying to find an affordable buzz aid. I don't have a lot of extra cash lying around. The ones that I have found so far, are for me, a little pricey. Seems they start around $60-$70, and go up to $125 and more. Right now, I would be comfortable paying $30-$50 total. One I looked at online was $29, but then wanted $36 for shipping. Isn't there anywhere in the States that sells them. I'm not really picky on which one I'd buy, but I have looked at the Buzzard, the Buzz R, and the Upsound. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
ttf_SethMatrix

Affordable Buzz Aids

Post by ttf_SethMatrix »

Quote from: bonedaddy66.2 on Jan 07, 2018, 05:00AMHello everyone, I am trying to find an affordable buzz aid. I don't have a lot of extra cash lying around. The ones that I have found so far, are for me, a little pricey. Seems they start around $60-$70, and go up to $125 and more. Right now, I would be comfortable paying $30-$50 total. One I looked at online was $29, but then wanted $36 for shipping. Isn't there anywhere in the States that sells them. I'm not really picky on which one I'd buy, but I have looked at the Buzzard, the Buzz R, and the Upsound. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

A clear plastic tube from your local lowe's or menards would do it. Just bring your mouthpiece in and test it out on some tubes.

A BERP is good because you can put it in the horn and the transfer is more direct- though I cut the end off my BERP because I prefer the less resistance.

You can also just cup your hands around the mouthpiece. That's as adjustable as it gets!
ttf_anonymous

Affordable Buzz Aids

Post by ttf_anonymous »

At Home Depot they sell clear plastic tubing in the plumbing section.  Like Seth said, take your mouthpiece to get the right size.  I believe it should be 1/2 inch. The tubing is sold as a 10 foot piece.  Cut off 1 foot and you have tubing the same length as a trombone. 

Also, you can get a piece of pvc piping at about 1 foot long that is suppose to work as a buzz aid.

Or maybe a removable leadpipe?

Please note, I have not tried any of the above.  Just repeating info I've found over the many searches of the forum I've done.
ttf_Ellrod

Affordable Buzz Aids

Post by ttf_Ellrod »

R Sauer talks about the DIY “Focused Aperture Resistance Trainer” (FART) device.

Find a hardware store that sells PVC tubing . It’s usually used for small irrigation systems and in smaller hardware stores is sold by the foot, usually about $1/ft. You only need about 9”.  You’ll need the 1/2” inner diameter size (it will be a little tight for large shank mpcs, a little loose for small shank mpcs). You’ll want to drill a hole (1/4” in diameter) in one side (not through both sides) about 4” in from the end you will insert the mpc in. Insert mpc. You’re done. According to RS, it provides approximately the same resistance as a horn. YMMV.

Total cost: $1
ttf_Pre59

Affordable Buzz Aids

Post by ttf_Pre59 »

I've been using the Buzzard since they first became available in Europe. I use it in such a way that I'm fully warmed up by the time I plug into the horn, and I've come back from a holiday or a non Tbn tour/cruise with a better lip than I had when I left.

It's not just great for the embouchure but for breath control as well. Slow melodies played in unison with a keyboard are a killer..

ttf_johnstad

Affordable Buzz Aids

Post by ttf_johnstad »

I use this one...works great. It’s easy to put on and remove from the Horn.

http://www.brassbuzzer.com
ttf_MikeBMiller

Affordable Buzz Aids

Post by ttf_MikeBMiller »

California just legalized all kinds of buzz aids. Image
ttf_timothy42b

Affordable Buzz Aids

Post by ttf_timothy42b »

Why not just learn to free-buzz? 
ttf_Pre59

Affordable Buzz Aids

Post by ttf_Pre59 »

Quote from: timothy42b on Jan 08, 2018, 08:26AMWhy not just learn to free-buzz? 

Been there, done it, sometimes still do it..
ttf_bonearzt

Affordable Buzz Aids

Post by ttf_bonearzt »

I just use my mouthpiece with no obstruction on the shank end.

Eric

ttf_BGuttman

Affordable Buzz Aids

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Quote from: bonearzt on Jan 08, 2018, 08:47AMI just use my mouthpiece with no obstruction on the shank end.

Eric

Sometimes I need to add a little resistance by covering the shank partway using a finger.  I always consider that a crutch that must be removed and I'll keep reducing the amount of finger coverage.
ttf_bonearzt

Affordable Buzz Aids

Post by ttf_bonearzt »

Agreed!
The only time I need a little resistance is when I try to buzz low!  But I still try to go as low as I can with no resistance.
ttf_wgwbassbone

Affordable Buzz Aids

Post by ttf_wgwbassbone »

Free buzzing is okay but buzzing into a spirometer with adjustable resistance is better for me. Our mouthpieces go into a lead pipes that provide some resistance regardless of what setup we use. Just my 2 cents.
ttf_wayne88ny

Affordable Buzz Aids

Post by ttf_wayne88ny »

I have 2 "Buzzarella" aids (small & large shank) made by Chuck McAlexander that I'd be wiling to sell for a reasonable price.  Send me an email or pm if you're interested.

www.thebrasslab.com/products/buzzarella

ttf_Blowero

Affordable Buzz Aids

Post by ttf_Blowero »

Take an old mouthpiece, get a hacksaw, cut about half of the cup off, leaving the rim intact. Voila!
ttf_Pre59

Affordable Buzz Aids

Post by ttf_Pre59 »

Quote from: bonedaddy66.2 on Jan 07, 2018, 05:00AM Right now, I would be comfortable paying $30-$50 total.

There you go, $30.

http://www.warburtonstore.com/buzzard1.html

ttf_JGordon

Affordable Buzz Aids

Post by ttf_JGordon »

I currently use a Buzzard. Before I got it I used an extra trombone lead pipe.  I think I like the Buzzard better.  It is smaller, it feels better in my hand and it is a little easier with which to travel. A piece of flexible tubing would probably also work.

I warm up on the buzzard and mouthpiece every day.  The truth is, I am not absolutely clear why I do that.  I guess I have heard from good players that it is a good thing to do so I do it. However, the funny part is that the Buzzard is advertised as (more or less) duplicating the resistance of a horn.  If that is true, then why not just use the horn?  I have taken a mouthpiece and the Buzzard with me on trips when taking the horn is not feasible and I think using the device helps to keep my chops from completely falling apart during a break from the horn.
ttf_Pre59

Affordable Buzz Aids

Post by ttf_Pre59 »

Quote from: JGordon on Jan 13, 2018, 09:00AMI currently use a Buzzard. Before I got it I used an extra trombone lead pipe.  I think I like the Buzzard better.  It is smaller, it feels better in my hand and it is a little easier with which to travel. A piece of flexible tubing would probably also work.

I warm up on the buzzard and mouthpiece every day.  The truth is, I am not absolutely clear why I do that.  I guess I have heard from good players that it is a good thing to do so I do it. However, the funny part is that the Buzzard is advertised as (more or less) duplicating the resistance of a horn.  If that is true, then why not just use the horn?  I have taken a mouthpiece and the Buzzard with me on trips when taking the horn is not feasible and I think using the device helps to keep my chops from completely falling apart during a break from the horn.

Do you think that the Buzzard has a kind of Bb preference? It feels like there's a top Bb ceiling with a B above that doesn't quite slot as well. Why not just use the horn? To avoid the early stages of the warm-up on the horn, and transfer some of the "coal face" exercises away as well. Using it with a keyboard and a metronome playing unison lines at different tempos can also be effective, being mindful of intonation. I think that it's important to play it to pitch at all times.

I've tried most of the other buzz aids, pipes, free-buzzing, but if I find anything better (for me) then I'll go with it.

ttf_JGordon

Affordable Buzz Aids

Post by ttf_JGordon »

Quote from: Pre59 on Jan 13, 2018, 12:22PMDo you think that the Buzzard has a kind of Bb preference? It feels like there's a top Bb ceiling with a B above that doesn't quite slot as well....

I'm not sure I fully understand this question. My range on the Buzzard/Mouthpiece is approximately the same as on my horn. When I get higher then the note I call a high Bb Image Image I find that I need to remember to put more air through the device. The notes above that Bb take a little more effort, but I'm not sure I would use the word "ceiling" with regard to them. However, my range is never spectacular.  I can hit the high F Image Image pretty reliably in warm-up on my horn and can squeak out a Bb above that -- but in actual playing situations I am insecure about that high F. The range on the Buzzard is not dramatically different for warm-up but, of course, I never perform on the Buzzard!. 
ttf_Pre59

Affordable Buzz Aids

Post by ttf_Pre59 »

Quote from: JGordon on Jan 13, 2018, 03:44PMI'm not sure I fully understand this question. My range on the Buzzard/Mouthpiece is approximately the same as on my horn. When I get higher then the note I call a high Bb Image Image I find that I need to remember to put more air through the device. The notes above that Bb take a little more effort, but I'm not sure I would use the word "ceiling" with regard to them. However, my range is never spectacular.  I can hit the high F Image Image pretty reliably in warm-up on my horn and can squeak out a Bb above that -- but in actual playing situations I am insecure about that high F. The range on the Buzzard is not dramatically different for warm-up but, of course, I never perform on the Buzzard!. 

It's not an absolute ceiling, but one where it seems to change, and as I do my high note ex's on the horn anyway it's not an issue, more of an observation. I do think that it has a Bb bias though, or even resonant frequency due to its length unlike say, the BERP.
ttf_Doug Elliott

Affordable Buzz Aids

Post by ttf_Doug Elliott »

Anything other than freebuzzing or rim buzzing has a resonance frequency. On a mouthpiece you're buzzing below and up to the fundamental which is what feels like a ceiling. That's when you're getting the maximum resonance feedback help to sustain the vibration.
ttf_Doug Elliott

Affordable Buzz Aids

Post by ttf_Doug Elliott »

Anything other than freebuzzing or rim buzzing has a resonance frequency. On a mouthpiece you're buzzing below and up to the fundamental which is what feels like a ceiling. That's when you're getting the maximum resonance feedback help to sustain the vibration.

Return to “Accessories”