What is this leadpipe

ttf_anonymous

What is this leadpipe

Post by ttf_anonymous »

https://photos.app.goo.gl/b3MNUpMNHs2AQyZJ2

A friend of mine gave me an old leadpipe he found.
It sounds amazing on my trombone and I'd like to know if anyone can tell me what it is.
I have a Shires slide and the leadpipe fits just tight enough inside the threads of the leadpipe receiver.
I tried putting it in my Bach 42 slide that has no leadpipe but its too large under the nut, it stays out by 1/2 inch.

The leadpipe is 8 3/4 in.
The outside diameter under the nut is .575.
The outside diameter at the end is roughly .542

Thanks for your help!
Seb

Anyone knows the make of that leadpipe and why it wont fit my 42 slide?
ttf_Matt K

What is this leadpipe

Post by ttf_Matt K »

The receiver on the Bach 42 is probably tighter than that at the top. It could also mean the pipe or slide is misaligned.  I had a Shires 2.5L pipe that I purchased with my current large bore slide. I sent it off to the Slide Dr. who removed the pipe and instructed me not to insert it because it was misaligned and would have eventually caused my slide to need to be done far sooner than it would otherwise.  It did indeed have trouble fitting into any slide that was in alignment.

As far as identification, could be anything.  Even marked leadpipes might be something else. There's a Bach 50 leadpipe floating around somewhere that has a Shires "2" collar on it courtesy of a project of mine. I made it very clear what it was when I sold it but 10 years down the road who knows if they'll remember to tell when they eventually sell it or they sell it with the horn.  Becomes a game of telephone.  Whats' important is that it works. You might be able to send it to someone like Brad Close to see if they can identify similarities in the venturi to other leadpipes.
ttf_Zandit75

What is this leadpipe

Post by ttf_Zandit75 »

I'm not much help i identifying the leadpipe, but one thing you should keep in mind when using a tapered leadpipe when you have threads there for a screw in style is that you could damage the threads, and be unable to use a standard screw in leadpipe.
ttf_Zandit75

What is this leadpipe

Post by ttf_Zandit75 »

I'm not much help i identifying the leadpipe, but one thing you should keep in mind when using a tapered leadpipe when you have threads there for a screw in style is that you could damage the threads, and be unable to use a standard screw in leadpipe.

Return to “Accessories”