Lighter case for a Bach 42C

ttf_demaxx1

Post by ttf_demaxx1 »

Hi guys, I recently bought a late 80s Bach 42C. I absolutely love this horn. I use the straight pipe for my Church trio, and the F attachment for my concert band. The only thing I dislike is the heavy wood original coffin case that the horn come in.It is terribly heavy, but the case has the slots for the straight pipe to be carried in the case.

I am looking for suggestions on a lighter weight case that still provides good protection, and that can carry the straight pipe. It wouldn't hurt my feelings if I could find one that I could safely store the F attachment, and store the horn with the straight pipe attached. That is not an option with the original case. But is not a must have either.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
ttf_Le.Tromboniste

Post by ttf_Le.Tromboniste »

Any case that has enough space and is customizable should do the trick.

Or a good gig bag, and you make a padded case for your F attachment that can be inserted in the gig bag.
ttf_pompatus

Post by ttf_pompatus »

The cases that Shires sells with their trombones right now, made by Marco Magi, have lots of extra internal storage.  One slot inside is intended for leadpipes, I believe, but may be the perfect size for the straight neckpipe.  The model for tenor is ACC-CATBT.  I've had one for my bass, and it was a great lightweight hard case with tons of storage internally.

Here's a link to the Shires page with a description and pictures of the case:
https://www.seshires.com/trombonecases/

I've seen them for sale on the Horn Guys site, and you may get lucky and find holiday pricing this time of year.  I only mention that specific retailer, as I've had great customer service from them, and they should be able to tell you whether your instrument will fit that particular case or not.

Best of luck in your search!
ttf_demaxx1

Post by ttf_demaxx1 »

Quote from: pompatus on Dec 12, 2017, 05:37AMThe cases that Shires sells with their trombones right now, made by Marco Magi, have lots of extra internal storage.  One slot inside is intended for leadpipes, I believe, but may be the perfect size for the straight neckpipe.  The model for tenor is ACC-CATBT.  I've had one for my bass, and it was a great lightweight hard case with tons of storage internally.

Here's a link to the Shires page with a description and pictures of the case:
https://www.seshires.com/trombonecases/

I've seen them for sale on the Horn Guys site, and you may get lucky and find holiday pricing this time of year.  I only mention that specific retailer, as I've had great customer service from them, and they should be able to tell you whether your instrument will fit that particular case or not.

Best of luck in your search!

I just talked to Shires they told me their case would not work for me because the slide on my 42 is longer than the shires. The case was not built to accommodate the extra length. The search continues.
ttf_Burgerbob

Post by ttf_Burgerbob »

I feel like the Marcus Bonna super light trombone case would fit the horn and the straight neck, with the neck in the accessory compartment.
ttf_greenbean

Post by ttf_greenbean »

You could use an Eastman fiberglass case.  The gooseneck will have to be wrapped in bubble wrap or something Not very elegant but it will work well.   
ttf_Le.Tromboniste

Quote from: Burgerbob on Dec 13, 2017, 03:50PMI feel like the Marcus Bonna super light trombone case would fit the horn and the straight neck, with the neck in the accessory compartment.

That was my thought as well. The Bonna standard case is too compact, but there's a decent chance the super light would work
ttf_Le.Tromboniste

Quote from: Burgerbob on Dec 13, 2017, 03:50PMI feel like the Marcus Bonna super light trombone case would fit the horn and the straight neck, with the neck in the accessory compartment.

That was my thought as well. The Bonna standard case is too compact, but there's a decent chance the super light would work

Return to “Accessories”