Grip for a wide handslide

ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hi forum members,

Recently I made a post about replacing my trombone, but I think I'm going to wait on getting a whole new horn until I can get actually blow on some more, and until I can build the finances to purchase the new horn. Until then, I feel that I should at least get a grip for my horn of some sort, as it's got a pretty wide slide for my small hands, as I'm fairly young. So I'm wondering what kinds of grips are out there, and what would best work for the issue of small hands, rather than a heavy horn, although I admit the horn is a little heavy for me too, but not too bad. The horn is a Benge 165F by the way.
ttf_Doug Elliott

Post by ttf_Doug Elliott »

I'm not sure how the width of the slide specifically relates to the size of your hands.  Unless you're taking about the left hand... I'm thinking right hand.
ttf_youraveragebonist117

Post by ttf_youraveragebonist117 »

Quote from: Doug Elliott on Nov 26, 2017, 02:54PMI'm not sure how the width of the slide specifically relates to the size of your hands.  Unless you're taking about the left hand... I'm thinking right hand.

I am actually talking about the left hand.
ttf_bonesmarsh

Post by ttf_bonesmarsh »

If you go to www.hickeys.com you can buy left index finger rings that can be soldered into the slide just below where the mouthpiece goes.

They're about $7 each I recall. I have huge hands and still enjoy the narrower grip on my horns the finger ring allows me Student model bones had them for a long time. They've fallen into disfavour, but buy a few. you'll want a tech to solder them onto all of your horns.

Seems ot me the vintage King 4B had them as standard features, as did Olds Ambassador basses.
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Quote from: bonesmarsh on Nov 26, 2017, 04:59PM...

Seems to me the vintage King 4B had them as standard features, as did Olds Ambassador basses.

My 4B, my 5B, and my 7B all have/had rings.  I suspect the 6B and 8B had them as well.

I use a modified Yeo grip with the slide brace between middle and ring fingers and my middle finger goes in the ring (index finger on the mouthpiece).

If you need a "bell brace" to hold the instrument, look into the Ax Handle or Bullet Brace.  Make sure if you don't own the horn you have permission to put one on -- sometimes you can do damage to the bell brace.
ttf_youraveragebonist117

Post by ttf_youraveragebonist117 »

[quote author=bonesmarsh link=topic=103209.msg1222110#msg1

I don't have a problem with my 3B, because its handslide is much narrower so I don't think I need any kind of aid for holding it.
ttf_crazytrombonist505

Post by ttf_crazytrombonist505 »

Quote from: youraveragebonist117 on Nov 26, 2017, 01:49PMHi forum members,

Recently I made a post about replacing my trombone, but I think I'm going to wait on getting a whole new horn until I can get actually blow on some more, and until I can build the finances to purchase the new horn. Until then, I feel that I should at least get a grip for my horn of some sort, as it's got a pretty wide slide for my small hands, as I'm fairly young. So I'm wondering what kinds of grips are out there, and what would best work for the issue of small hands, rather than a heavy horn, although I admit the horn is a little heavy for me too, but not too bad. The horn is a Benge 165F by the way.

I use a Sheridan get-a-grip for my Benge 290. It works great! I used to have quite a bit of pain in my left hand from trying to support the horn, but after I got the get a grip, I have almost no left hand pain even when playing for awhile. I believe you can buy one new for around $50. Worth every penny imo.
ttf_crazytrombonist505

Post by ttf_crazytrombonist505 »

Quote from: youraveragebonist117 on Nov 26, 2017, 01:49PMHi forum members,

I use a Sheridan get-a-grip for my Benge 290. It works great! I used to have quite a bit of pain in my left hand from trying to support the horn, but after I got the get a grip, I have almost no left hand pain even when playing for awhile. I believe you can buy one new for around $50. Worth every penny imo.

Return to “Accessories”