Concerns regarding various grip aids

ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I have been investigating grip aids that are available; after reading around and analyzing, I have come up with potential issues of concern for each grip aid. Could you help me on which concerns are valid and which ones are not?

Sheridan Get-A-Grip: possibly needs to be replaced from time to time; possible quality control issues on the manufacturer's end that seems to get blamed on the customer; apparently, one can make this at half the cost if crafty enough

Yamaha strap: possibly bends the hand slide

Bullet Brace, Ax Handle: possibly has an actual effect on the sound -namely, creating a more "dampened" sound- despite advertisements to the contrary (the installation procedure associated with these kinds of aids is not a problem for me)

Greenhoe rest bar: appears to be currently unavailable

As for the Neotech grip, I found that removing the strap assembly prior to storing the trombone in a case can be challenging. Or maybe I am just a dunce, IDK. Since I am in North America, accessing the Rath system is not an option.

ttf_hyperbolica

Post by ttf_hyperbolica »

To me the Sheridan is adjustable and very comfortable. Mine has held together well, plus its easy to remove so it fits in your case plus it can go on multiple horns.  It has a larger contact patch with your hand, which distributes weight better. Narrow bars like the Curtis are hard to position correctly and dig into your hand at a bad angle.
ttf_Burgerbob

Post by ttf_Burgerbob »

My Get-A-Grip has held up pretty well, with only some leather worn away around the area by the lock nut for the slide. This includes a fair bit of outdoor use.
ttf_mr.deacon

Post by ttf_mr.deacon »

Get-A-Grip is the way to go if you're looking for something that isn't permanent.

I personally feel they do alter the response a bit... but it is extremely minimal and it is worth it for you're looking for a solution that isn't permanent like the Greenhoe brace or a Shires brace.
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

Neotech should be very simple to remove. But it's harder if you didn't tighten the screws enough as it would expand to he larger than is ideal. You also may ha e used too many shivs in the install. It only needs one on the cork barrel and the narrowest one is likely fine.
ttf_crazytrombonist505

Post by ttf_crazytrombonist505 »

I’m also a big fan of the Sheridan Get-a-grip. Very versatile and easy to use. Works great on my Benge 290.
ttf_Gabe Langfur

Post by ttf_Gabe Langfur »

The Rath set up is certainly gettable in North America, but I find it has the effect you describe from the Bullet Brace or Ax Handle.

The Leather Specialties strap (same design as the Yamaha but works better for me) has not bent any of my slides. I use it 100% of the time.
ttf_Ellrod

Post by ttf_Ellrod »

For me, the big upside for the get a grip is that you can easily use it with multiple horns.
ttf_CJ

Post by ttf_CJ »

Quote from: Gabe Langfur on Yesterday at 05:00 PMThe Leather Specialties strap (same design as the Yamaha but works better for me) has not bent any of my slides. I use it 100% of the time.

Can you post a pick of this?  Can't seem to see it on their website.
ttf_Dukesboneman

Post by ttf_Dukesboneman »

I have the Axe handle on my 42BO and my Yamaha 321 Bass and there is NO effect on the sound at all as far as dampening it.
The only effect on the sound is that I can hold the horns for an awful lot longer with the handles and my shoulder doesn`t bother me so much.
Everything effects the horn in some minute way. so does holding the horn. But the Axe handle does make holding it much easier.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hello everyone
Mike  from instrument innovations . I designed and sell the axe handle. I gauranty my products 100 percent I give a 100 percent money back gauranty on the axe handle if you are not happy with it for any reason. To this day I truefully have refunded only once to a customer his money for the negetive effect on sound
because  of the axe handle . I realize that every thing that you do has an effect on sound I make my living on it.  The only thing that it costs to try out our products are the return shipping. About $2 dollars and sixty cents in the US. So I would like to invite all of you to try it out. There surely is not much risk for a product that has helped many.
Thank you all for your support.
Mike
PS
It looks like this forum could use some monetary support . I intend to give and I hope you will too.
ttf_kbiggs

Post by ttf_kbiggs »

I’ve used most of the grip aids you mentioned, and I’ve written about them several times here on TTF. For me, currently, the Sheridan Get-A-Grip works best. It holds the instrument at the appropriate balance point, it decreases the strength needed to hold the horn and thereby decreases the stress and (and pain) of holding the horn, and to me it doesn’t appreciably affect the sound. I think the long back to it (the part that rests on the back of the hand) works well because it’s padded, and it’s length allows the weight to be distributed across more of the hand.

For me, the Neo-Tech was awkward, and I never felt that the horn balanced that well. I also tended to get a cramp in my hand unless it was adjusted according to the Goldilocks effect—not too loose, not too tight, but juuuust right. The range of juuuust right was very small for me and my horns.

I used a home-made version of the Yamaha and Klebstch straps, and then bought one which I used for several years. While some people use them and love them (all due respect, Gabe), I found that it pulled the inner slide out of alignment on all the horns I used it.

At one point I had an instrument tech make something like the Greenhoe rest bar. It really taxed my hands, especially the thumb and first finger. Perhaps it wasn’t shaped right...

Another option is the ErgoBone. Yes, it’s awkward at first, and yes, it affects the sound a bit. But it allowed me to keep playing (I used it for about 5-6 years), reduced the pain, and allowed me to do some physical therapy and build some strength.
ttf_Torobone

Post by ttf_Torobone »

I am very happy with my Bullet Brace on my Yamaha 830 bass. I have had it for 5 years, and I haven't noticed the issue described.
ttf_hyperbolica

Post by ttf_hyperbolica »

I bought a Neotech which fit my bass, but put my hand too far from the levers. Haven't been able to fit it on other horns.
ttf_elmsandr

Post by ttf_elmsandr »

To add another to the mix... The built in Shires rest bar is pretty nifty.  It integrates right into the Gb/D lever flange and is pretty well adjustable.  Very nice package and they may be able to provide that part and the saddle to add to another horn.  Functionally, it is very similar to a Greenhoe rest bar but adjustable after installation.  They did some nice clever work there.

Short answer, I actually intend to buy a Gb Lever saddle and add it to my single valve bass because I kinda like it and have gotten used to it when using my double.

Cheers,
Andy
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Just acquired an Ax Handle from Mike and Kim Olsen for my Getzen 3062AFR. Great product and outstanding customer service!! The Ax Handle has a much cleaner design than the Bullet Brace. It relieves the pressure from my two smallest fingers on my left hand and redirects it to the web between my thumb and forefinger. However, I will still need to use my ERGObone for long practice sessions.
ttf_tbathras

Post by ttf_tbathras »

Quote from: elmsandr on Oct 23, 2017, 09:43AMTo add another to the mix... The built in Shires rest bar is pretty nifty.  It integrates right into the Gb/D lever flange and is pretty well adjustable.  Very nice package and they may be able to provide that part and the saddle to add to another horn.  Functionally, it is very similar to a Greenhoe rest bar but adjustable after installation.  They did some nice clever work there.

Short answer, I actually intend to buy a Gb Lever saddle and add it to my single valve bass because I kinda like it and have gotten used to it when using my double.

Cheers,
Andy

Shires sells a kit with the thumb rest and stand-alone saddle.  I installed one one on my single:

ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Ax Handle on my Gen 2 88H- significant improvement. If anything, sound is improved because I'm more relaxed. Easy installation. Definitely improved weight distribution with more natural grip than the Neotech, which I have also used. I'll stick with the Ax Handle.
ttf_Driswood

Post by ttf_Driswood »

I have an Axe Handle on my Bach 34B. I notice no change in sound, and as others have said, makes me more relaxed as it's not a strain trying to balance the horn on my palm.

My Bach has the Mt Vernon trigger assembly, which sits up higher than others. The stock Axe handle wouldn't fit. Not enough clearance. After a phone call with Mike, and sending him some pictures of the setup, he made two shorter C clamps for me. Works perfectly! In addition, he modified a clamp, and included that as well. All for no extra charge, he covered shipping, and didn't want the original parts back. That is incredible customer service.

I highly recommend Mike's products!

Jerry Walker

ttf_walldaja

Post by ttf_walldaja »

I just installed the Neotec and really like it.  After decades playing a straight horn I was used to using my thumb behind a bell brace.  With the trigger I no longer had a thumb to hold the brace.  Having the Neotech makes life much easier and holding the horn is effortless.  I did change the angle of the handle to get a better grip, nice to be able to change that.  I find it easiest to take off after bell is put away and I pull the two lugs back to release grip.
ttf_walldaja

Post by ttf_walldaja »

I just installed the Neotec and really like it.  After decades playing a straight horn I was used to using my thumb behind a bell brace.  With the trigger I no longer had a thumb to hold the brace.  Having the Neotech makes life much easier and holding the horn is effortless.  I did change the angle of the handle to get a better grip, nice to be able to change that.  I find it easiest to take off after bell is put away and I pull the two lugs back to release grip.

Return to “Accessories”