Best non adhesive handgrip tape

ttf_mr.deacon

Post by ttf_mr.deacon »

I recently picked up a bass trombone where the cork barrels are unlacquered and I'm looking for some non adhesive grip tape to use so my left hand doesn't turn green.

I have no experience with grip tape so I thought I'd pick your guy's brain about this!

Preferably looking for something thin and it doesn't even need to be super comfy or super grippy, just looking for something to stop my hand from turning green. What do you guys recommend?
ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist

Post by ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist »

There are self adhesive tapes that only stick to themselves. Any of those will leave no residue on your horn. If you don't like leather grips then that's the best option IMHO.
ttf_mr.deacon

Post by ttf_mr.deacon »

Quote from: Full Pedal Trombonist on Sep 21, 2017, 10:18PMThere are self adhesive tapes that only stick to themselves. Any of those will leave no residue on your horn. If you don't like leather grips then that's the best option IMHO.
Do you have a specific brand recommendation?
ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist

Post by ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist »

I got mine at a "specialty" store. I'm sure you can find some at a local Spencer's. The medical mind is easy to find in a pharmacy but I've only found the kind that's like gauze. The athletic kind is good, but I don't like the cloth feel for hand contact points on a slide. It's good for a neckpipe IMHO
ttf_LeoInFL

Post by ttf_LeoInFL »

Quote from: mr.deacon on Sep 21, 2017, 10:35PMDo you have a specific brand recommendation?
I'm guessing you can find it at your local fishing/sporting goods store. I got clear and black rescue tape at an Outdoor World/Bass Pro Shop in Orlando.

Here's a link to an Amazon product, but I'm sure there are many similar products out there:
https://www.amazon.com/Rescue-Tape-Self-Fusing-Silicone-Rectangular/dp/B00AZOK55G

Note: the tape does work but keep in mind there is no 'non-sticky' side. It's a ribbon-shaped length of silicone that will stick to itself when you stretch it out and wrap it onto itself. I've used the 'clear' version on goosenecks in the past with excellent results though the covered areas are slightly tacky. I've never tried the rescue tape on cork barrels.
ttf_jedrph

Post by ttf_jedrph »

any hardware store should have the silicone wrap mentioned above. it's usually in the plumbing section. it's called self-fusing tape.
ttf_ChadA

Post by ttf_ChadA »

I used phone cord for many years (yes, from when phones had cords).  No adhesive, fairly grippy, and easy to trim to length.  Cheap, too.
ttf_Le.Tromboniste

Post by ttf_Le.Tromboniste »

Quote from: ChadA on Sep 22, 2017, 04:33AMI used phone cord for many years (yes, from when phones had cords).  No adhesive, fairly grippy, and easy to trim to length.  Cheap, too.

I was about to say just that! My leather grips eventually worn through, so now I have phone cord grips and neck guard. Works super well!
ttf_mr.deacon

Post by ttf_mr.deacon »

So I guess people don't put handgrip stuff on corkbarrels very often!

I'm going to just try everything under the sun and update you guys with what I find!

Today I tried some fancy bicycle grip tape. The stuff was comfy but too thick. It defifintly chained how the horn responded. Very similar to how a leather grip changes things.

Tomorrow I'm going to see how tennis grip stuff works!

ttf_Whitbey

Post by ttf_Whitbey »

I use wire loom that they use to contain wires. It has a split the length of it so it snaps on easy and makes the softest cushion.   

https://www.amazon.com/Absolute-SLT12-2-Inch-100-Feet-Split/dp/B00PLY92NG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1506127723&sr=8-3&keywords=wire+loom
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

I use fingernail polish.  I put on three coats, letting it dry in between.  Its thicker than lacquer... but then again so is phone cord  Image Image   I also have been using the Netotech rests, which cover up most of the cork barrel.
ttf_CJ

Post by ttf_CJ »

I wrap the lower cork barrel and hand brace with the non-adhesive silicone tape.  Sticks great.  Duck brand is easily found at stores, and they call it “Wrap Fix.”  Comes off when you want it to.  Stays on when you want it to.   I change it once a year.  Never had a problem.
ttf_mr.deacon

Post by ttf_mr.deacon »

Quote from: CJ on Sep 22, 2017, 06:09PMI wrap the lower cork barrel and hand brace with the non-adhesive silicone tape.  Sticks great.  Duck brand is easily found at stores, and they call it “Wrap Fix.”  Comes off when you want it to.  Stays on when you want it to.   I change it once a year.  Never had a problem.
Beautiful! I'll check that out tomorrow too!
ttf_mr.deacon

Post by ttf_mr.deacon »

I took LeoFL and CJ's suggestion and got some non adhesive Silicon Tape. I purchased the Duck brand that CJ suggested.

Did exactly what I wanted. It's just a simple non adhesive self fusing tape that is nice and thin. I noticed little if any difference in how the horn played. I'm sure thin Tennis grip tape or Bike handlebar grip would be more comfortable but this Silicon tape does exactly what I wanted, just covering up the raw brass with as thin, a temporary covering as possible.

Just to note this type of tape is not sticky or tacky at all. It's a little grippy because it's made out of silicon but it's by no means sticky.

I'll still continue to update this topic if I find another particular brand I like or I end up switching to a different style of tape for my cork barrels!
ttf_bassmike

Post by ttf_bassmike »

Has anyone tried cork bicycle handle bar tape?  I would say that the natural cork would be best instead of the synthetic.  I haven't tried this but it might work and the cost would be cheap.
ttf_hyperbolica

Post by ttf_hyperbolica »

Quote from: bassmike on Sep 24, 2017, 07:55AMHas anyone tried cork bicycle handle bar tape?  I would say that the natural cork would be best instead of the synthetic.  I haven't tried this but it might work and the cost would be cheap.
Yes, that's what I use. Its a little too wide. I think drum stick tape is probably a better size. Not sure if they make it in a nice cork material.
ttf_mr.deacon

Post by ttf_mr.deacon »

Quote from: bassmike on Sep 24, 2017, 07:55AMHas anyone tried cork bicycle handle bar tape?  I would say that the natural cork would be best instead of the synthetic.  I haven't tried this but it might work and the cost would be cheap.
I'm sure it would work great but I'd be afraid of it dampening the horn in the same way leather grips do.
ttf_Bellend

Post by ttf_Bellend »

Velox Tressorex cloth handlebar tape works really well and is very cheap to boot 😀. I've used it for years and I find I don't grip as hard to hold the horn which helps with overall relaxation. One word of caution, what ever you use I always put a layer of clear sticky backed plastic (Fablon ? ) on the horn first as sweat will soak through most tapes and be trapped against the metal which over time will start to etch the surface. This also works great on the gooseneck and of course is invisible, it's a bit of a pain to remove but doesn't damage the lacquer if you take your time.

BellEnd
ttf_salsabone

Post by ttf_salsabone »

Another brand name for this type of tape is "Fix-it" tape.  Sold often in "as seen om tv" sections of some retail stores(think Boscovs and the like).  I have used it for years!!!
ttf_afugate

Post by ttf_afugate »

Quote from: Bellend on Oct 04, 2017, 09:37AMVelox Tressorex cloth handlebar tape works really well and is very cheap to boot 😀. I've used it for years and I find I don't grip as hard to hold the horn which helps with overall relaxation. One word of caution, what ever you use I always put a layer of clear sticky backed plastic (Fablon ? ) on the horn first as sweat will soak through most tapes and be trapped against the metal which over time will start to etch the surface. This also works great on the gooseneck and of course is invisible, it's a bit of a pain to remove but doesn't damage the lacquer if you take your time.

BellEnd

This was my concern when I used Silicone tape in the past.  It seems like moisture and oil wick up underneath the tape.  Maybe I'll try to find something like Fablon...

--Andy in OKC
ttf_cmillar

Post by ttf_cmillar »

Tennis grip overlay tape!

Nice 'almost sticky' grip feeling that makes it real easy to hang onto your 'bone....great for hot weather or sweaty gigs (just as in tennis)

You can wrap it around as desired, and then just put a couple of drops of Superglue or Gorilla glue at the very end of the tape once you've finished wrapping.

You can find tennis grip tape at most good sporting goods stores.
ttf_stanzabone

Post by ttf_stanzabone »

Mole Skin. Keeps your hands warm in the winter.  Image
ttf_stanzabone

Post by ttf_stanzabone »

Mole Skin. Keeps your hands warm in the winter.  Image

Return to “Accessories”