Bass Trombone Stand Recommendations

ttf_Wade

Post by ttf_Wade »

Hello all. So for the past few years I've been stand-less after becoming frustrated with the cheap Hamilton stand and I think it's time to invest in a new stand (to be honest though, it doesn't look like the Hamilton stand was designed with a bass trombone in mind). Anyway, as a bass trombonist, sturdiness is always a factor in stand-shopping and I'd love to hear what some members of the community here would have to say about/recommend stands appropriate for a bass bone. So far I'm looking at the Sheridan stand and the Adia stand which both look sturdy but do not specify "bass" trombone in their description. Thoughts? Recommendations? Experiences would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Jon
ttf_Quiros

Post by ttf_Quiros »

Quote from: JohnL on May 19, 2017, 12:49PMAKA K&M Model 14990
+2

They have the K&M 14990 listed on Amazon, but the legs don't bend down like the UMI stand does. It's also $10 cheaper.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005OS4RJI/
ttf_tbathras

Post by ttf_tbathras »

Quote from: JohnL on May 19, 2017, 12:49PMAKA K&M Model 14990
+2

it's a little different - the ends of the legs are bent - I prefer this over the 14990.  Otherwise, yeah, the rest is the same.
ttf_chipolah

Post by ttf_chipolah »

The Wessex trombone stand is much sturdier than the K&M 14990.  I know, because I have both.  The Wessex is better for a Bass Trombone. And... the price is right !!!
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Quote from: chipolah on May 19, 2017, 02:06PMThe Wessex trombone stand is much sturdier than the K&M 14990.  I know, because I have both.  The Wessex is better for a Bass Trombone. And... the price is right !!!

Not quite as right when you factor in shipping from the UK.  That $20 stand becomes $45 to my door.

Maybe it's time to send a bunch of them to Michigan and see if you can get the shipping in the US down to a reasonable amount.
ttf_Olimar12345

Post by ttf_Olimar12345 »

Quote from: chipolah on May 19, 2017, 02:06PMThe Wessex trombone stand is much sturdier than the K&M 14990.  I know, because I have both.  The Wessex is better for a Bass Trombone. And... the price is right !!!

You're referring to the SDT-1, right? That stand looks pretty sturdy, and even with shipping it looks to be less than the K&M stand. Looks tempting!
ttf_mr.deacon

Post by ttf_mr.deacon »

Quote from: Quiros on May 19, 2017, 01:07PMThey have the K&M 14990 listed on Amazon, but the legs don't bend down like the UMI stand does. It's also $10 cheaper.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005OS4RJI/
I just bought one from this same link earlier this week. Total came out to just over $61.
ttf_BillO

Post by ttf_BillO »

The K&M 14990 stands are the best ... so far.  Regardless of the bend in the leg.

The Wessex stand looks good, and I do want to try one.  The price of the stand is right, but FedEx shipping is an issue for me.
ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist

Post by ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist »

Why is the bend in the leg a bad thing? Just curious. All my stands, trombone, music, mic, laptop, have straight legs.
ttf_BillO

Post by ttf_BillO »

Quote from: Full Pedal Trombonist on Yesterday at 08:02 AMWhy is the bend in the leg a bad thing? Just curious. All my stands, trombone, music, mic, laptop, have straight legs.
To me it's not.  Those stands actually have a slightly wider stance than the ones without the bent legs.  I prefer them bent.
ttf_Quiros

Post by ttf_Quiros »

Quote from: Full Pedal Trombonist on May 20, 2017, 08:02AMWhy is the bend in the leg a bad thing? Just curious. All my stands, trombone, music, mic, laptop, have straight legs.

I didn't mean to imply it was bad, just different from the UMI stand listed above.
ttf_JSeng42

Post by ttf_JSeng42 »

I hate to have to toot my own horn on this, but measure the legs.  I have lots of stands that are standard brands and the longest legs I've measured were about 14 1/2" long.  The base diameter is what keeps it standing when it's pushed or hit.  The legs on the stands I use are right at 18" long.  That means a much wider base and a much more stable stand. The weight helps, but not nearly as much.  Mine works on alto, tenor, bass and contra bass trombones, but it's better if people state what they plan use it for.  I generally make a bigger disk for bass than for tenor, but contras ideally should have a bigger disk. The only minus point is that the cost of the bases has tripled, so I have had to raise my prices $5.  Sorry bout that. Go price a cymbal stand and a 6" square of premium hardwood ( $15 - $30 ) then add over an hour's labor. Just my 2 cents worth. Here's a tenor stand.http://www.sheridanbrassinstruments.com/uploads/1/9/3/1/19315713/1365992297.jpg
ttf_dj kennedy

Post by ttf_dj kennedy »

DONE  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
5@25X5+50 FEDXXXXX

Quote from: BGuttman on May 19, 2017, 02:12PMNot quite as right when you factor in shipping from the UK.  That $20 stand becomes $45 to my door.

Maybe it's time to send a bunch of them to Michigan and see if you can get the shipping in the US down to a reasonable amount.

ttf_dj kennedy

Post by ttf_dj kennedy »

USED  DRUM GEAR  is  ABSOLUTELY  the  best  for  studio  and  heavy trombones
 -------------
of course  most millennials have  trouble  doing anything  bordering  work
preferring  hyper cross referencing index  fund   futures  and  computer  alogrythmic
etrades   to provide  cash  flow  ---then cad  design   their product  ideas to remote  robotic
 plastics build facilities    reducing the  costs to well  under 12k  per unit
 unicorn  ipo  and vc[venture capitalists  ] are  always  ready to  embrace  the lastest  IT
    seeking  investors  --sent em  for  prospectus   ---your  perfect  bass  bone  stand
     and the  future  is at  your fingertips  --forward  with  5K  to  Logistics  LLC
        for  pre production samples ---dont  endanger  your trombone investment portfolio
          with obsolescent  inferior  and  dangerous  trombone  stands 
            manufactured  by rr //crewe uk//under  license  //patents  pending
 ---------------------
lubrication w  RR363   recommended 
------------------------

Quote from: nsheridan on Jun 04, 2017, 02:17PMI hate to have to toot my own horn on this, but measure the legs.  I have lots of stands that are standard brands and the longest legs I've measured were about 14 1/2" long.  The base diameter is what keeps it standing when it's pushed or hit.  The legs on the stands I use are right at 18" long.  That means a much wider base and a much more stable stand. The weight helps, but not nearly as much.  Mine works on alto, tenor, bass and contra bass trombones, but it's better if people state what they plan use it for.  I generally make a bigger disk for bass than for tenor, but contras ideally should have a bigger disk. The only minus point is that the cost of the bases has tripled, so I have had to raise my prices $5.  Sorry bout that. Go price a cymbal stand and a 6" square of premium hardwood ( $15 - $30 ) then add over an hour's labor. Just my 2 cents worth. Here's a tenor stand.http://www.sheridanbrassinstruments.com/uploads/1/9/3/1/19315713/1365992297.jpg

ttf_dj kennedy

Post by ttf_dj kennedy »

USED  DRUM GEAR  is  ABSOLUTELY  the  best  for  studio  and  heavy trombones
 -------------
of course  most millennials have  trouble  doing anything  bordering  work
preferring  hyper cross referencing index  fund   futures  and  computer  alogrythmic
etrades   to provide  cash  flow  ---then cad  design   their product  ideas to remote  robotic
 plastics build facilities    reducing the  costs to well  under 12k  per unit
 unicorn  ipo  and vc[venture capitalists  ] are  always  ready to  embrace  the lastest  IT
    seeking  investors  --sent em  for  prospectus   ---your  perfect  bass  bone  stand
     and the  future  is at  your fingertips  --forward  with  5K  to  Logistics  LLC
        for  pre production samples ---dont  endanger  your trombone investment portfolio
          with obsolescent  inferior  and  dangerous  trombone  stands 
            manufactured  by rr //crewe uk//under  license  //patents  pending
 ---------------------
lubrication w  RR363   recommended 
------------------------

Quote from: nsheridan on Jun 04, 2017, 02:17PMI hate to have to toot my own horn on this, but measure the legs.  I have lots of stands that are standard brands and the longest legs I've measured were about 14 1/2" long.  The base diameter is what keeps it standing when it's pushed or hit.  The legs on the stands I use are right at 18" long.  That means a much wider base and a much more stable stand. The weight helps, but not nearly as much.  Mine works on alto, tenor, bass and contra bass trombones, but it's better if people state what they plan use it for.  I generally make a bigger disk for bass than for tenor, but contras ideally should have a bigger disk. The only minus point is that the cost of the bases has tripled, so I have had to raise my prices $5.  Sorry bout that. Go price a cymbal stand and a 6" square of premium hardwood ( $15 - $30 ) then add over an hour's labor. Just my 2 cents worth. Here's a tenor stand.http://www.sheridanbrassinstruments.com/uploads/1/9/3/1/19315713/1365992297.jpg

Return to “Accessories”