Tenor Bucket Mute Sound Comparison

ttf_Muffinman

Post by ttf_Muffinman »

Hello trombone friends,

I'm about to purchase a tenor bucket mute. I'm deciding between H&B, Soulo, EazyBucket, Peter Gane or Mike McLean. (I'm not interested in the Soft tone cloth solution.)

I like the traditional sound of H&B on my bass bone.

How do the others sound compared to the H&B?

(I'm only interested in the sound comparisons, not the ease of use)

Thanks in advance for your collective wisdom Image

ttf_William Lang

Post by ttf_William Lang »

can't speak to the others listed, but the jo-ral bucket has a slightly darker sound, more like a euphonium, if that helps. most people i know gravitate towards that option.
ttf_Burgerbob

Post by ttf_Burgerbob »

EZ Bucket wins for me just because it's easy to use, small, and doesn't eliminate any notes. Good mute.
ttf_hyperbolica

Post by ttf_hyperbolica »

The section I used to play with all bought Easy buckets. Easy to use and sound good. Second I'd go with Soulo, but its expensive.
ttf_Muffinman

Post by ttf_Muffinman »

(Bumping this thread into the ‘recent posts’ menu)
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Quote from: Muffinman on Feb 01, 2018, 01:34PM(Bumping this thread into the ‘recent posts’ menu)

*** Moderator Hat ON ***

I think this was totally unnecessary.  Anyone who didn't read your thread before will see it on the "Read Unread Posts".  Very few of us use the Recent Posts to look for what to read.

*** Moderator Hat OFF ***

Note: I use the draped Softone and it blends amazingly well with H&B Buckets (VelveTone).  I can also simulate a bucket by holding my plunger about 10 cm from the bell.

That said, I like the look of the EZ Bucket.
ttf_Posaunus

Post by ttf_Posaunus »

Quote from: Burgerbob on Jan 31, 2018, 10:59PMEZ Bucket wins for me just because it's easy to use, small, and doesn't eliminate any notes. Good mute.

ttf_Muffinman

Post by ttf_Muffinman »

Quote from: BGuttman on Feb 01, 2018, 01:56PM*** Moderator Hat ON ***

I think this was totally unnecessary.  Anyone who didn't read your thread before will see it on the "Read Unread Posts".  Very few of us use the Recent Posts to look for what to read.

*** Moderator Hat OFF ***

Note: I use the draped Softone and it blends amazingly well with H&B Buckets (VelveTone).  I can also simulate a bucket by holding my plunger about 10 cm from the bell.

That said, I like the look of the EZ Bucket.

hmmm, ok. I thought that it would only be seen if you visit the "Accessories" page. Something I rarely do.... and I always see the list of 'recent posts' as it sits just below the "classifieds" link... a link I often scroll directly to... and so that recent list ALWAYS catches my eye... and usually causes my eyes to roll as the politics or religion 'discussion' plods on.
ttf_Posaunus

Post by ttf_Posaunus »

Quote from: Muffinman on Feb 01, 2018, 03:47PMI thought that it would only be seen if you visit the "Accessories" page. Something I rarely do....

Most of us find these posts by simply clicking on the
"Show unread posts since last visit"
link at the top of the Home Page. 

No need to go to "Recent Posts" !
ttf_Muffinman

Post by ttf_Muffinman »

Ha! Never done it! Image
ttf_ssking2b

Post by ttf_ssking2b »

I own one of each mute mentioned for my tenor and one each for my bass trombone. I wind up using the softone mute most of the time on gigs, slimply because it packs the best in my mute bag. Sound Suisse, I prefer the Jo-ral or Soulo mutes,but they take up a lot of space, don't and don't pack all that well.  I only use them for the studio, or when requested by a leader or contractor.

Granted, the softone mute has some strange note, but I can't be bothered with the clips breaking, corks coming off, etc (YES, even on the easy bucket and the souls the clips break) on a Live gig I may have driven an hour or two to get there.
ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist

Post by ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist »

If you get bored try making your own bucket mute! I’m still modifying one I made for my small tenor. It’s pretty much a dollar store plastic colander filled with cotton balls held in with cheese cloth. I picked up some clips of some sort and put those felt pads that quiet down the slamming of old cabinet doors on them to prevent scratches. Then painted it black because the colander was bright red. Either would look fine with all of my music bags and cases being black or red or black and red. It cost about $3 because I only bought the colander and clips and a bag of cotton balls because I misplaced the bag at the house.

On topic: I found the Jo-Ral pretty heavy, but the sound is good. Ultimately the weight made me sell them. I stick with homemade or H&B if it’s a real gig.

ttf_baileyman

Post by ttf_baileyman »

If the sound of a bucket ever matters, I can't understand how Jo-Ral has sold any of these things.  All of the ones that actually resemble a bucket seem to get the best sound. 

ttf_Posaunus

Post by ttf_Posaunus »

Quote from: ssking2b on Yesterday at 07:03 AMGranted, the softone mute has some strange note, but I can't be bothered with the clips breaking, corks coming off, etc (YES, even on the easy bucket and the souls the clips break).

I have found the Softone neoprene mute to be quite satisfactory, with no "strange notes" to my ears, and very handy, lightweight, and of course extremely compact.  For those reasons, it's my preferred bucket for bass trombone. 

For tenor trombone, where weight is less of an issue, I've been happy with the Eazy Bucket mute:
http://www.theeazybucket.com/
The clips on the redesigned Eazy Bucket will NOT break off (they are now integral to the mute's ABS body).  The down side to the Eazy Bucket is that the size must be matched to your bell diameter - so I have purchased an 8" bell version for my small-bore tenor, and an 8½" version for my large bore tenors.  But they work well, with no real sour notes that I have heard.  And they look nice, too! 
ttf_Muffinman

Post by ttf_Muffinman »

Thank you all for taking the time to give your opinions. Very helpful Image
ttf_gregs70

Post by ttf_gregs70 »

I play the French horn part in a brass quintet on a King 3B.  They asked me to try different mutes to see if I could sound more horn-like.  I borrowed my buddy's neoprene Softone, got a Jo-Ral on loan from the local music shop, and had my tried and true Humes and Berg and I swapped them around one rehearsal.  The winner was the H&B.  Jo-Ral was too heavy and didn't sound as good as the H&B.  Softone was tops for convenience, so much easier to haul around than anything else, but it too didn't sound as good.  I didn't try and Eazy Bucket so can't give an opinion on that. 
ttf_ssking2b

Post by ttf_ssking2b »

Quote from: Posaunus on Yesterday at 10:37 AMThe clips on the redesigned Eazy Bucket will NOT break off (they are now integral to the mute's ABS body).

Is this something ne? One of my friends who purchased an easy bucket this fall has already broken into shreds in his mute bag.  it was the clips that broke. now he's using a soft tone and quite happy . But I do agree the easy bucket sounds great!
ttf_ssking2b

Post by ttf_ssking2b »

In the studio, the need for the best sound wins.  In a Live performance, how many people listening will notice ANY of the subtle differences in these mutes...so, if you can play the Soft tone in all your registers like you need to do, opt for the convenience.  Even a discerning jazz listener won't know the difference.  That's why the Lincoln Center jazz band (W  Marsalis) and the Count Basie ghost band, to name only a few, are using the soft tone.
ttf_gregs70

Post by ttf_gregs70 »

Quote from: ssking2b on Today at 06:21 AM Is this something ne? One of my friends who purchased an easy bucket this fall has already broken into shreds in his mute bag.  it was the clips that broke. now he's using a soft tone and quite happy . But I do agree the easy bucket sounds great!

I had read about that issue and think the Eazytone mfg. recommended getting a Tupperware container or something like that to protect it.  I am hard on stuff so stayed with the H&B.  I wonder if the new version of the easy bucket is less fragile...
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

I liked my Jo-Ral bucket after I replaced the corks because it fit into the bell instead of clamping on and the sound it produced was a good blend of mellow while still projecting.  However, I ultimately went with the softone option myself.
ttf_Posaunus

Post by ttf_Posaunus »

Quote from: ssking2b on Today at 06:21 AM Is this something ne? One of my friends who purchased an easy bucket this fall has already broken into shreds in his mute bag.  it was the clips that broke. now he's using a soft tone and quite happy .

The "old" Eazy Bucket mutes had separate, apparently rather fragile clips attached mechanically.  I've heard they could bend or break.  The new design, introduced a year or two ago, is much more robust, with the clips actually part of the main ABS body.  I've carried mine around in my "mute bag" (actually a soft-sided duffel bag) that rattles around in my car trunk for more than a year with absolutely no untoward consequences - still looks like new, and works like a charm (unlike the H&B metal clips which bend and can scratch your bell).  Perhaps your friend was particularly brutal to his mute? 

Check out the design of your friend's mute compared to the new Eazy Bucket:
http://www.theeazybucket.com/

That being said, I also like the Softone mutes - especially if the entire section is using them.  Sound is quite nice, convenience is great! 

ttf_wayne88ny

Post by ttf_wayne88ny »

Humes & Berg - Great sound - My #1 choice for tenor trombone - Tenor version can go on & off quickly if the clips aren't too tight.  Bass Trombone version has 4 clips and is clumsy to put on and take off.
Jo-Ral - great for quick mute changes - sounds OK - very heavy
Eazy Bucket - this is the one I use for Bass Trombone - goes on and off easily - closest in sound to the Humes & Berg
Soulo - my second choice for Bass Trombone - looks really cool - goes on and off easily - need to put a cloth in it to get the right sound - expensive
Softone - small light and easy to carry - goes on and off quickly - Sounds fuzzy & plays out of tune - poor excuse for a bucket mute - I'd rather have the guy next to me play with an open horn than listen to this piece of crap (let the flames begin!)
Plunger - held the proper distance from the bell, one can get a fair imitation of a bucket mute sound - goes on and off easily - won't work if you need to play trigger notes

I love the sound of a trombone section playing with bucket mutes.  Trombones with bucket mutes and trumpets with harmon mutes is a great sound.
ttf_wayne88ny

Post by ttf_wayne88ny »

Humes & Berg - Great sound - My #1 choice for tenor trombone - Tenor version can go on & off quickly if the clips aren't too tight.  Bass Trombone version has 4 clips and is clumsy to put on and take off.
Jo-Ral - great for quick mute changes - sounds OK - very heavy
Eazy Bucket - this is the one I use for Bass Trombone - goes on and off easily - closest in sound to the Humes & Berg
Soulo - my second choice for Bass Trombone - looks really cool - goes on and off easily - need to put a cloth in it to get the right sound - expensive
Softone - small light and easy to carry - goes on and off quickly - Sounds fuzzy & plays out of tune - poor excuse for a bucket mute - I'd rather have the guy next to me play with an open horn than listen to this piece of crap (let the flames begin!)
Plunger - held the proper distance from the bell, one can get a fair imitation of a bucket mute sound - goes on and off easily - won't work if you need to play trigger notes

I love the sound of a trombone section playing with bucket mutes.  Trombones with bucket mutes and trumpets with harmon mutes is a great sound.

Return to “Accessories”