Who in their right mind plays a Bach 1 1/2G ??

ttf_schlitzbeer

Post by ttf_schlitzbeer »

Quote from: slideorama on May 17, 2017, 06:11PMRegarding Roberts, I would venture to say that most pro orchestral players do not look to him as a model for style or sound. To further add fuel to the fire, I would say most players my age and younger have never even heard him play (consciously, that is).

But if you had them listen to Close Encounters, Mission Impossible, Jaws, etc, there's an unmistakable sound.

Quote from: savio on May 17, 2017, 05:17PM
What can we learn from George Roberts today?

I reread this interview about every 45 days....... http://trombone.org/articles/library/viewarticles.asp?ArtID=257

"I have a mouthpiece that Burt Herrick made for me years and years ago. I played a 1.5G Bach for years and Burt made me an oversized 1.5G that I just loved. I played the Herrick for a long time, then went with Conn for awhile. Conn made a copy of Burt’s oversized 1.5G, which I liked. I thought that was just great.

I am now playing a Kanstul GR. That is basically the same Conn mouthpiece, which is basically the oversized 1.5G that I played for so many years. So, it goes all the way back, nothing dramatically different. Zig said, I’ve copied everything else for you, so I might as well make the mouthpiece, too! I like it every bit as well as what I had been playing before. I like everything, the mouthpiece, the horn…they work just great for me."

ttf_blast

Post by ttf_blast »

Quote from: bigbassbone1 on May 17, 2017, 08:23PM
I dont have any evidence for my thoughts but wanted to contribute none the less.

I think its pretty obvious that bass trombone has seen some amazing development over the last 50 years, mostly of course on how the instruments are made, and to some extent sound concepts and approach to playing also.
I did not grow up listening to george roberts, I only found his name when I saw him mentioned on the forum here, after which, I bought a solo CD of his.
I think you are absolutely correct, so much of what you hear in george roberts playing was and is an inspiration for so many players that followed him. Having said that, as per this discussion, I think most would say that modern professional bass trombone players do not play in a way that emulates to the letter the sound of george roberts. When I decided that I wanted to play trombone for a living, I did a lot of research and bought CD's of as many big name tenor and bass trombone players I could find. It wasn't until much later after I had done some years of listening and practice that I thought it might be interesting to see what gear some of these players were using. I discovered that the players and sounds I was hearing that inspired me most from my collection of recordings, were mostly American players who were using comparatively large equipment. For me, it was extremely exciting to hear players who had such command of their instrument like Alessi playing with amazing power and sustain but also with finesse in the extreme upper register. Charlie Vernon playing with unbelievable control in legato and soft playing but with a confronting and powerful low register down to notes I didn't even know were possible to play.

The qualities I think are important from George Roberts playing are still there. These modern players (bass and tenor) are playing with beautiful legato, rich song like sounds and attention to detail in the music. All that I think has happened is that its evolved. Whenever discussions come up about people playing big gear a handful of players here talk about modern sounds in a negative way. I dont think that is the case at all. Different yes, but no worse, and similar enough that I dont think anything has been lost in the process.

Whilst it is imperitive for developing musicians to listen to players like george roberts and the kleinhammer recordings where he is using the smaller gear, I myself, prefer to look forward in seeing where it is possible to move on and develop with trombone sounds, not making sure we are stuck in the past.

Another small, but relatively (i believe) major point, when was the last time a professional audition was won where a player was using a 1 1/2G sized mouthpiece? Im sure there are players in their jobs who have chosen to play one, but I would be surprised to hear if many auditions RECENTLY have been won on one. That is important to know if you want to make a living in bass trombone. Following on from that, I could be wrong about this, but in the top tier orchestras, really at the elite level of playing, how many bass trombone members are using a 1 1/2G? Id wager not many. Those players who command the most critical acclaim make the sounds now that inspire students and aspiring professionals. Its a sound that has evolved, not in a better or worse way, just different, and enough people agree on that, which I believe is why we dont have players in major orchestral positions sounding like george roberts, just nods and appreciation for what he did for the standard of playing.

You are assuming that there is one worldwide concept of bass trombone sound. That is not correct.
You are also assuming that change is the same as progress.  It is not.
Players are winning jobs in the UK on 1 1/2G and 2G size mouthpieces... and they are sticking on them.
We like what we are doing and how we are doing it.
There are many styles to be found in Europe, where most of the classical repertoire was composed... and I don't hear massive overbearing sounds among them.
George Roberts did indeed use a slightly oversize 1 1/2G size in his later career...but it was marginal. Back in 2004 I gave him a Rath B1.5W which was based on my wide rim mv Bach 1 1/2G and he loved it... really loved it. He couldn't use it as he had an exclusive deal with Kanstul at that time.... but he liked that size.
We will continue to use the equipment we do and play in the style we do here in the UK. We are not stuck in the past... we just have a different view of the present and the future.

Chris Stearn
ttf_bonesmarsh

Post by ttf_bonesmarsh »

Quite true, Chris.

A bit off point, but it does expand a bit on the non-global sound that is successful:
Students and amateurs now have access to the total info available from the beginning of trombone time to the present, with the click of a button on their computer.
They have access to all of the produced instruments and gear, with the same click of the same button -- using the computer, a credit card, and ebay.

Roberts and Kleinhammer defined sounds and developed individual sounds the hard way-- one rehearsal and one recording job at a time, over a period of 50 years. They found the gear that gave them the sound they wanted as people who were developing something never heard before.

Pre-Fritz Reiner there was no "Chicago" sound.
Pre-Sinatra there was no "Roberts" sound.

But to get back to Chris's point: It is effortless to get out of bed and read here on TTF what WAS and what IS. Except that what IS is being done, is not being done online, but in multiple rehearsals by lots of incredibly talented players on smaller gear, who are far too busy making music, to make little digital messages on boards in websites.
ttf_bigbassbone1

Post by ttf_bigbassbone1 »

Quote from: blast on May 18, 2017, 05:51AMYou are assuming that there is one worldwide concept of bass trombone sound. That is not correct.
You are also assuming that change is the same as progress.  It is not.
Players are winning jobs in the UK on 1 1/2G and 2G size mouthpieces... and they are sticking on them.
We like what we are doing and how we are doing it.
There are many styles to be found in Europe, where most of the classical repertoire was composed... and I don't hear massive overbearing sounds among them.
George Roberts did indeed use a slightly oversize 1 1/2G size in his later career...but it was marginal. Back in 2004 I gave him a Rath B1.5W which was based on my wide rim mv Bach 1 1/2G and he loved it... really loved it. He couldn't use it as he had an exclusive deal with Kanstul at that time.... but he liked that size.
We will continue to use the equipment we do and play in the style we do here in the UK. We are not stuck in the past... we just have a different view of the present and the future.

Chris Stearn

I dont think I implied that there was one wordwide bass trombone sound..... that was kind of my point. It is constantly evolving. Everywhere. New players and instruments along with new compositions are exploring what the bass trombone is capable of doing, quite successfully I believe. Every new solo CD of a big name successful bass trombone player that gets put out (at least to my ear) manages to capture sounds and techniques that really inspire and push others to explore what is possible themselves.

I think perhaps you misunderstood what I was saying.... I wasn't saying necessarily that change is progress... thats just what it is... change. Neither good or bad but I think its necessary. I dont think bass trombone players today should aim to be clones of george roberts or old kleinhammer recordings. Or charlie vernon for that matter. Players sould listen, take what those players have provided and build on it.

As Australia is cut off from the rest of the world, I am not completely familiar with the gear choices people are winning jobs on in the UK. Or really to be honest, America for that matter. My post was based totally on my own experience here and information i have heard or read from overseas. Right now, I am unaware of any bass trombone players RECENTLY who have won major orchestral positions on a 1 1/2G. That of course, doesnt mean it hasnt happened, but I would wager it is now less common than what it used to be. However I am aware of quite a number who have on larger mouthpieces and other gear.

I also do not hear massive overbearing sounds coming from europe..... or America. I think that term is probably subjective.
ttf_wgwbassbone

Post by ttf_wgwbassbone »

Quote from: bigbassbone1 on May 18, 2017, 06:50AM
I dont think I implied that there was one wordwide bass trombone sound..... that was kind of my point. It is constantly evolving. Everywhere. New players and instruments along with new compositions are exploring what the bass trombone is capable of doing, quite successfully I believe. Every new solo CD of a big name successful bass trombone player that gets put out (at least to my ear) manages to capture sounds and techniques that really inspire and push others to explore what is possible themselves.

I think perhaps you misunderstood what I was saying.... I wasn't saying necessarily that change is progress... thats just what it is... change. Neither good or bad but I think its necessary. I dont think bass trombone players today should aim to be clones of george roberts or old kleinhammer recordings. Or charlie vernon for that matter. Players sould listen, take what those players have provided and build on it.

As Australia is cut off from the rest of the world, I am not completely familiar with the gear choices people are winning jobs on in the UK. Or really to be honest, America for that matter. My post was based totally on my own experience here and information i have heard or read from overseas. Right now, I am unaware of any bass trombone players RECENTLY who have won major orchestral positions on a 1 1/2G. That of course, doesnt mean it hasnt happened, but I would wager it is now less common than what it used to be. However I am aware of quite a number who have on larger mouthpieces and other gear.

I also do not hear massive overbearing sounds coming from europe..... or America. I think that term is probably subjective.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

QuoteI also do not hear massive overbearing sounds coming from Europe..... or America. I think that term is probably subjective.

I totally agree.
ttf_wgwbassbone

Quote from: Matt K on May 18, 2017, 07:18AMI totally agree.

You need to have your ears checked. Or have some more "real time" experience in this area.
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

Quote from: wgwbassbone on May 18, 2017, 07:43AMYou need to have your ears checked. Or have some more "real time" experience in this area.

k
ttf_tbarh

Post by ttf_tbarh »

Quote from: bonesmarsh on May 18, 2017, 06:15AMQuite true, Chris.

A bit off point, but it does expand a bit on the non-global sound that is successful:
Students and amateurs now have access to the total info available from the beginning of trombone time to the present, with the click of a button on their computer.
They have access to all of the produced instruments and gear, with the same click of the same button -- using the computer, a credit card, and ebay.

Roberts and Kleinhammer defined sounds and developed individual sounds the hard way-- one rehearsal and one recording job at a time, over a period of 50 years. They found the gear that gave them the sound they wanted as people who were developing something never heard before.

Pre-Fritz Reiner there was no "Chicago" sound.
Pre-Sinatra there was no "Roberts" sound.

But to get back to Chris's point: It is effortless to get out of bed and read here on TTF what WAS and what IS. Except that what IS is being done, is not being done online, but in multiple rehearsals by lots of incredibly talented players on smaller gear, who are far too busy making music, to make little digital messages on boards in websites.

Pre-Fritz Reiner there was no Chicago sound ,huh ??   Image Image Image
ttf_Posaunus

Post by ttf_Posaunus »

Quote from: schlitzbeer on May 18, 2017, 02:41AMQuote from: slideorama on Yesterday at 06:11 PM
Regarding Roberts, I would venture to say that most pro orchestral players do not look to him as a model for style or sound. To further add fuel to the fire, I would say most players my age and younger have never even heard him play (consciously, that is).

But if you had them listen to Close Encounters, Mission Impossible, Jaws, etc, there's an unmistakable sound.
I reread this interview about every 45 days....... http://trombone.org/articles/library/viewarticles.asp?ArtID=257

"I have a mouthpiece that Burt Herrick made for me years and years ago. I played a 1.5G Bach for years and Burt made me an oversized 1.5G that I just loved. I played the Herrick for a long time, then went with Conn for awhile. Conn made a copy of Burt’s oversized 1.5G, which I liked. I thought that was just great.

I am now playing a Kanstul GR. That is basically the same Conn mouthpiece, which is basically the oversized 1.5G that I played for so many years. So, it goes all the way back, nothing dramatically different. Zig said, I’ve copied everything else for you, so I might as well make the mouthpiece, too! I like it every bit as well as what I had been playing before. I like everything, the mouthpiece, the horn…they work just great for me."

And from the same wonderful interview (which we should all read!)
http://trombone.org/articles/library/viewarticles.asp?ArtID=257:

"Every time I participated in developing a new horn, one thing that stayed with me was the leadpipe.  My leadpipe wasn’t that different, but I didn’t want to feel alienated with a new leadpipe.  I don’t like ultra-dark sounds.  In symphony orchestras, for example, conductors want a dark, heavy sound.  Okay, that’s what you have to do.  I chose more of a commercial sound.  Lighter, singing … that type of thing."

I love George Roberts' playing, but it's clear that most contemporary orchestral bass trombonists don't model their sound after his.  For my non-classical (big band) bass trombone playing - I still strive for that George Roberts sound!  (Using my Marcinkiewicz "Geo. Roberts" mouthpiece - which is sort of in the size range of a Bach 1½G, but with a little larger diameter, deeper cup!)  For classical / orchestral, I switch to a different mouthpiece (Giardinelli 1G or Schilke 58) - on my trusty single-valve bass trombone. 
ttf_Joe Stanko

Post by ttf_Joe Stanko »

ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

One can find pretty phenomenal performances from people playing a variety of performances. I tend not to listen to what equipment the player is using.

My favorite recording of the Bruckner 8 finale is Vienna with Karajan in 1988 . Given what I've heard about the section, I would be surprised if the bass trombonist were playing something that was on the larger end of the spectrum.

But the same movement done by the NY Phil in 2015 is also pretty great despite Curran playing something Schilke 60 sized unless my info on that is mistaken.

ttf_bigbassbone1

Quote from: wgwbassbone on May 18, 2017, 07:43AMYou need to have your ears checked. Or have some more "real time" experience in this area.

Are there examples you would care to share? I know that post wasn't directed at me, but I am fortunate to have had a good amount of "real time" experience (assuming I have understood what you are referring to) in that area and stand by what I said.
ttf_Fridge

Post by ttf_Fridge »

Ah Joe. The great Ed Anderson!  Poor little Mt Vernon 11/2........ Nobody played with a better sound than Ed. Super recitalist also. Beautiful sound and legato. And a very fine gentleman to boot. He and Ron Bishop were absolutely marvelous down low. Got to hear him play in the orchestra twice. Unbelievable projection on the Brahms 1st chorale. His low g was EVERYWHERE!

Eddie Clark
ttf_schlitzbeer

Post by ttf_schlitzbeer »

Quote from: wgwbassbone on Jan 29, 2011, 06:30AMI switched to a 1 and 1/2G 2 years ago......And for anyone out there who thinks that bass trombonists don't use the 1 and 1/2G any more you don't work in and around New York. There are plenty of excellent players who still use a 1 and 1/2G. Maybe I'll start a support group: "My name is Bill Whitaker and I use a 1 and 1/2G."  Image

I've been patiently waiting to join this group. Where do I send the check for annual dues?
ttf_wgwbassbone

Quote from: bigbassbone1 on May 18, 2017, 01:56PM
Are there examples you would care to share? I know that post wasn't directed at me, but I am fortunate to have had a good amount of "real time" experience (assuming I have understood what you are referring to) in that area and stand by what I said.

Specifically the part about no Huge sounds coming out of American players. Are you serious? Sound concept differences bewtween the majority of European players versus the majority of American players?? If I need to spell it out....
Specifically massive overbearing sounds-your words.
ttf_wgwbassbone

Quote from: schlitzbeer on May 18, 2017, 03:15PMI've been patiently waiting to join this group. Where do I send the check for annual dues?
No check needed. Just practice and have fun.
ttf_bigbassbone1

Quote from: wgwbassbone on May 18, 2017, 03:25PMSpecifically the part about no Huge sounds coming out of American players. Are you serious? Sound concept differences bewtween the majority of European players versus the majority of American players?? If I need to spell it out....
Specifically massive overbearing sounds-your words.

Nope. "Massive overbearing sounds" came from Chris Stearn a few posts back. He mentioned that he didn't hear those in europe i believe. I said I dont hear those sounds in europe or America.
ttf_blast

Post by ttf_blast »

Quote from: schlitzbeer on May 18, 2017, 03:15PMI've been patiently waiting to join this group. Where do I send the check for annual dues?

Indeed.... the interesting thing about New York is that it is a compact place for musicians... they see each other... they hear each other .... they talk... they think. Joe and Bill REALLY care about bass trombone sounds and are great pro players... they have so much direct experience of other players... this generation and previous generations that they have listened to and sat next to.... for me they are the real deal. The UK is a compact place too.... we get to hear each other and work with each other and we have a highly developed sense of sound and style... we use what works... we play in the way that makes sense, having listened to, and sat next to the best of the previous generation.... that builds tradition and there is nothing wrong with tradition. My students are playing at a higher standard than any previous generation of students that I have taught, on equipment that is pretty much the same as their teachers... and THEIR teachers played on.
The next generation learn by sitting next to the the present generation... no amount of lessons... no amount of recordings are a substitute for that practical experience.

Chris Stearn
ttf_wgwbassbone

Quote from: bigbassbone1 on May 18, 2017, 03:31PMNope. "Massive overbearing sounds" came from Chris Stearn a few posts back. He mentioned that he didn't hear those in europe i believe. I said I dont hear those sounds in europe or America.
Whatever. But believing those sounds don't come from American players is very funny indeed.
ttf_bigbassbone1

Quote from: wgwbassbone on May 18, 2017, 04:23PMWhatever. But believing those sounds don't come from American players is very funny indeed.

Sure. I don't really care if its funny. I just care about good sounds from good players in good ensembles. What I hear from top tier American orchestras sounds fantastic. Fortunately, enough other people do too, and trying to take what I can from those sounds and incorporate them into my own playing certainly hasn't hurt me thus far.

I think its funny that you dont sound open to the idea that maybe what we are discussing is subjective. There is not one worldwide bass trombone sound.
ttf_bonesmarsh

Post by ttf_bonesmarsh »

I was going to save this for a PM to Chris. But since some folks here need a final word on the 1 1/2G subject, here it comes:

The only person who can truly check what I am about to say is Doug Yeo. Mr. Kleinhammer, and Van Haney aren't here to ask, and the story is about 35 years old. I studied with Van a bit in '81 and '82 and he told me a lot. This story I have been sitting since then. Van and Kleinhammer did R&D for Holton, and their paths would cross in Chicago when Van Haney was in town doing promo stuff for Holton ( or King) and teaching a bit there.

At the time, early 1980s, Mr. Kleinhammer told Van Haney the following thing: Mr. Kleinhammer was playing huge, larger than Schilke 60, mouthpieces at the time. Kleinhammer told Van Haney that he thought that if he had stayed on a Bach 1 1/2G sized mouthpiece he could add another 10 years to his career. But, he'd been playing on huge mouthpieces so long, and the demands were so great, that a shift back to a smaller mouthpiece was out of the question.

Mr. Kleinhammer lasted another 6 or 7 years in his position. But, he did regret his switch to the huge mouthpiece. Only his students at the time could verify this, but I did hear it from Van Haney personally.

Even Mr. Kleinhammer wanted to stick on his 1 1/2G.
ttf_Fridge

Post by ttf_Fridge »

For examples that you've asked for, please listen to the postings from Joe Stanko. The examples ARE Ed Anderson in the Cleveland orchestra.

Eddie Clark
ttf_bigbassbone1

Quote from: Fridge on May 18, 2017, 05:52PMFor examples that you've asked for, please listen to the postings from Joe Stanko. The examples ARE Ed Anderson in the Cleveland orchestra.

Eddie Clark

You mean the bass trombone sounds overbearing in those recordings? Im confused....
ttf_kbiggs

Post by ttf_kbiggs »

It's important to remember that sound engineering often plays a part in how loud or soft the trombones (in particular) sound in a recording. The CSO brass, IIRC (I believe from a Crisafulli interview) were generally dissatisfied with the recorded sound in Orchestra Hall during the Solti era.

Similarly, listen to some of the recordings from Orchestra Symphonique du Montreal. The brass, particularly the trombones, can sound very loud, perhaps too present in some of these recordings. Yes, it's exciting to hear a very loud trombone sound in some passages, but I think that we have to pay close attention to the quality of the sound in context with the volume of the rest of the ensemble. That is, I believe the recording engineers would occasionally boost the volume a bit in these recordings to add some excitement.

The Cleveland Orchestra recording with Ed Anderson might also be a place where the trombones were "turned up" in selective spots, and "turned down" in others to allow the strings and winds to be heard. The trombones can be heard playing loud, but the volume that is heard in the record, the "sizzle" of a fff, is lowered. Sometimes, the quality of the sound in a recording is more like forte, but it can end up sounding fff, and sometimes the opposite. Engineering and the conductor's discretion can really alter the finished product.

Please don't misinterpret this. I enjoy the big, loud, and sometimes overpowering sounds like the Cleveland recording, the Shostakovich 7 with CSO, and OSM recordings with Dutoit. But I personally take recordings with a grain of salt. The true test is live sound. Otherwise, take time to listen with headphones. Really listen to the sound in context.

Back to the 1 1/2G, I think all the examples mentioned and posted demonstrate that is possible to have a big, beautiful sound using "small" equipment or "large" equipment. The most important element is concept: what do you want to sound like? The player then has to decide whether equipment is helping or hindering in the quest for that sound. If it's helping, then... well, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. If you believe your equipment is hindering you, think again, then practice some more.

Bigger is not necessarily better, only different. Some achieve excellence with "small" equipment, some with "large." ("Small" and "large" being subjective terms, like "overpowering," "massive," or overbearing"). Both come with costs. Again, what do you want to sound like, and can you do that with a "small" mouthpiece? A "large" one?
ttf_blast

Post by ttf_blast »

82 pages ago I simply tried to put up a case for not dismissing the Bach 1 1/2G as a viable orchestral mouthpiece. All this time later the debate is more interesting than ever. I have been on a MV 1 1/2, then, with doubling on contra, decided to jump onto the larger end of Doug's bass line... the 116 rim with J, L and M cups as needed. Still sounded like me, but a different version of me. You can hear this setup on the 'Wallace Collection' recording of Malcolm Arnold's Symphony for brass.... not that it tells you much about how I actually sound, as has been pointed out. I was perfectly happy with the mouthpiece.... then another MV 1 1/2G came my way and back I came ! Meanwhile, my students all seem to be going to the Bach 2G.... with no direction for me. The 2G is a big deal here because of the great British players that have used them and the great players presently using them.
We are now way on from a simple consideration to the complex issues of tonal concept and national variation of concept.
If this makes young and old think about sound, it is a good thing, whatever their conclusion is.

Chris Stearn
ttf_ronnies

Post by ttf_ronnies »

Quote from: blast on May 19, 2017, 12:50AMMeanwhile, my students all seem to be going to the Bach 2G.... with no direction for me. The 2G is a big deal here because of the great British players that have used them and the great players presently using them.

My teacher uses a 2G in his Shires bass.  He's currently recording the Brahms symphonies using an 88H and a 5G (I think he said 5G) for the bass part.

Ronnie
ttf_blast

Post by ttf_blast »

Quote from: wgwbassbone on May 18, 2017, 04:23PMWhatever. But believing those sounds don't come from American players is very funny indeed.
That would be Rob ?

Chris Stearn
ttf_bonesmarsh

Post by ttf_bonesmarsh »

Thanks for the meaningful words, Chris.

To further the thing I began about Kleinhammer telling Van Haney he wished he had stuck on a 1 1/2G- in an ITA masterclass Mr. Allen Ostrander at the same time spoke to us in the class, of finding it difficult to maintain his competence on his 2G, after waking one morning age 40 and feeling things slip a bit. And of his need to daily do lots of playing outside the orchestra to keep his chops up. And that was on a 2G at age 40.

Mr. Ostrander did another 25 years in the NY Phil, retiring at age 65, but holding on daily to the hard work he did to maintain his chops on a 2G.

As for a 5G on bass parts? The supplied mouthpiece with Olds bass trombones when George Roberts began, the #20, was about a 5G size.
ttf_wgwbassbone

Quote from: bigbassbone1 on May 18, 2017, 04:35PM
Sure. I don't really care if its funny. I just care about good sounds from good players in good ensembles. What I hear from top tier American orchestras sounds fantastic. Fortunately, enough other people do too, and trying to take what I can from those sounds and incorporate them into my own playing certainly hasn't hurt me thus far.

I think its funny that you dont sound open to the idea that maybe what we are discussing is subjective. There is not one worldwide bass trombone sound.

I obviously have not made myself clear-one of my faults for sure.
I DO believe there are different trombone sounds. I work in a "town" where players use every combination imaginable. We as players each gravitate towards a certain sound of our choosing. For years I played on a huge mouthpiece and an instrument with Thayer valves. I jumped on the Thayer bandwagon in 1987 along with everyone else and lived with my setup for almost 15 years. Worked for me at the time. I've evolved as a player through the years and realized that I don't need all of that and have happily played what I play for the last 10 years or so.
My specific point to sound concept, I.e. "massive overbearing sounds". America is ground zero for producing players with massive overbearing sounds compared to other parts of the world. Bass players playing without lead pipes started here. Tenor players using bass size pieces and bass slides started here. Continues here. Is it what's necessary?? To those who do it maybe. But the trombone world these days is run by orchestral players with major jobs and other great players who do not run in those circles are forgotten about by the average freelance or student trombonist. For those of us(bass trombonists) who listen to George Roberts, Paul Faulise, Dick Hixon, Tony Stud, the list goes on and on, there is much to be gained today from listening to their sound. It doesn't mean that you have to imitate it but you can take the basics and learn from there. The definition of Core has even changed. Core, to my ears, is the thick middle of the sound which around that you grow the sound. I hear certain players today speak of core in their sound and I don't hear it. I hear round with hollow in the middle. My ears hear what they hear.
Has anyone one a major symphony gig in the last number of years on a 1 and 1/2G in America? Not that I know of. Doesn't mean that they couldn't. They don't because most orchestral players don't use them. We imitate, we do what others do. Not all 1 and 1/2G pieces play the same. For those of us who live with them we know the difference between and big sound and a fat sound. For those who say the 1 and 1/2G inhibits the low register I laugh. I know players who can play it down using a 1 and 1/2G. Maybe you do, maybe you don't.
In the end it comes down to the sound concept in your head. You can give 2 players identical setups and they'll sound different. Why? I think you know why. That was my point. But maybe I've confused some more.  Image
ttf_tbathras

Post by ttf_tbathras »

Quote from: wgwbassbone on May 19, 2017, 07:12AM...snip...  For those who say the 1 and 1/2G inhibits the low register I laugh. I know players who can play it down using a 1 and 1/2G. ...snip...

You know, I was thinking about that the other day and then it dawned on me. French horn.  Sarah Willis.  She can crank in the bass 'bone register on a m'pc just slightly larger than a trumpet's.

Now there's some food for thought.
ttf_Ellrod

Post by ttf_Ellrod »

One night I got compliments on my great bass trombone sound and  I was playing my .525 trigger horn with a Schilke 51.
ttf_bigbassbone1

Quote from: wgwbassbone on May 19, 2017, 07:12AMI obviously have not made myself clear-one of my faults for sure.
I DO believe there are different trombone sounds. I work in a "town" where players use every combination imaginable. We as players each gravitate towards a certain sound of our choosing. For years I played on a huge mouthpiece and an instrument with Thayer valves. I jumped on the Thayer bandwagon in 1987 along with everyone else and lived with my setup for almost 15 years. Worked for me at the time. I've evolved as a player through the years and realized that I don't need all of that and have happily played what I play for the last 10 years or so.
My specific point to sound concept, I.e. "massive overbearing sounds". America is ground zero for producing players with massive overbearing sounds compared to other parts of the world. Bass players playing without lead pipes started here. Tenor players using bass size pieces and bass slides started here. Continues here. Is it what's necessary?? To those who do it maybe. But the trombone world these days is run by orchestral players with major jobs and other great players who do not run in those circles are forgotten about by the average freelance or student trombonist. For those of us(bass trombonists) who listen to George Roberts, Paul Faulise, Dick Hixon, Tony Stud, the list goes on and on, there is much to be gained today from listening to their sound. It doesn't mean that you have to imitate it but you can take the basics and learn from there. The definition of Core has even changed. Core, to my ears, is the thick middle of the sound which around that you grow the sound. I hear certain players today speak of core in their sound and I don't hear it. I hear round with hollow in the middle. My ears hear what they hear.
Has anyone one a major symphony gig in the last number of years on a 1 and 1/2G in America? Not that I know of. Doesn't mean that they couldn't. They don't because most orchestral players don't use them. We imitate, we do what others do. Not all 1 and 1/2G pieces play the same. For those of us who live with them we know the difference between and big sound and a fat sound. For those who say the 1 and 1/2G inhibits the low register I laugh. I know players who can play it down using a 1 and 1/2G. Maybe you do, maybe you don't.
In the end it comes down to the sound concept in your head. You can give 2 players identical setups and they'll sound different. Why? I think you know why. That was my point. But maybe I've confused some more.  Image

Thanks for clarifying  Image
I agree with pretty much everything you said there, I thought in my own posts I had made clear that I also thought that much could be gained from listening to George Roberts and those that play in a similar fashion..... I just believe that is also true for modern players on big gear also. I don't think either should be dismissed.

Yes, I am aware that the no leadpipe, tenor on bass mouthpieces etc... basically came from America. I take issue specifically with the phrase "massive overbearing sounds". Whilst of course there is some crazy loud playing that comes out of America I dont think the top level players go too far with it. They can play big, but they pick their moments, they still blend with their colleagues and are aware of what else is going on in the orchestra. I think its inspiring. I didn't say it before buy I did roll my eyes when I read that "massive overbearing sounds" aren't heard in europe. I dont think I personally would ever use that term, but some brass bands that come from the UK get closer to that than any American orchestra I have ever heard. I have even heard some orchestras in europe where the bass trombone specifically will play in a way that makes them really stick out of the texture like a sore thumb. Its not overbearing, but to me its usually pretty unpleasant to my ear. I would rather hear a slightly more diffuse sound that bends with the others rather than one that rips through 70 odd musicians on stage. I am aware that is subjective though, and not necessarily what others hear.

I am very aware that the low register is accessible on a 1 1/2G. I was fortunate to study with a fantastic player who played a 1 1/2G for his entire career and he had a very strong low register. I have also been very fortunate enough to have done some study with Michael Mulcahy who Im not totally sure what size mouthpiece he plays, but it is definitely a tenor one and he has unbelievable control of his low register. What I was trying to say is that PERSONALLY, whilst I dont dislike those sounds and other bass players that choose that kind of gear, I find the sounds that inspire me most come from players on generally bigger gear. Who knows? I may change my opinion one day.

I suppose one thing I also dislike is that especially on somewhere like here it is difficult to convey tone and intent down in writing. A lot of posts I read on here (by no one in particular!!!) that talk about players using 1/2 G's and smaller mouthpieces (bass and tenor) read a little as though they do so because they have reached some sort of higher understanding of some kind of elitist sound that can only be understood by those who play small gear. Some posts read a bit like, anyone who doesn't understand the 1 1/2G just isnt a good musician. Perhaps I am not clever enough, but I dont get it. What I have seen stem from there,  are young players who get reasonably small gear and misunderstand the kind of sound they should be making with their equipment. Where I come from, I see so many players playing small gear saying "I just want a more compact sound" and "I dont really like that big American sound concept". What usually happens here is that these players (younger ones in particular) Get incredibly aggressive sounds that stick out regardless of who they play with, irrelevant of a loud or soft dynamic. They usually dont understand that even on smaller gear a low register is possible and sometimes required so they tend to not be able to play very low at all. Where I come from, these players get frustrated because no one will hire them. They are hard to play with. Then they tell themselves that the reason they cannot find work is because everyone is too big gear focused. The players that make small gear work, have put in the work. There are problems that come with playing the 1 1/2G, just like there are different problems that come with playing a schilke 60. I dont believe that playing a 1 1/2G is easier like many seem to suggest, for reasons I have made in various posts, you still need to work. I also do not think it gives a superior sound, just different.

Whats that saying about using what works and you?  Image
ttf_blast

Post by ttf_blast »

Quote from: bigbassbone1 on May 19, 2017, 02:17PM
Thanks for clarifying  Image
I agree with pretty much everything you said there, I thought in my own posts I had made clear that I also thought that much could be gained from listening to George Roberts and those that play in a similar fashion..... I just believe that is also true for modern players on big gear also. I don't think either should be dismissed.

Yes, I am aware that the no leadpipe, tenor on bass mouthpieces etc... basically came from America. I take issue specifically with the phrase "massive overbearing sounds". Whilst of course there is some crazy loud playing that comes out of America I dont think the top level players go too far with it. They can play big, but they pick their moments, they still blend with their colleagues and are aware of what else is going on in the orchestra. I think its inspiring. I didn't say it before buy I did roll my eyes when I read that "massive overbearing sounds" aren't heard in europe. I dont think I personally would ever use that term, but some brass bands that come from the UK get closer to that than any American orchestra I have ever heard. I have even heard some orchestras in europe where the bass trombone specifically will play in a way that makes them really stick out of the texture like a sore thumb. Its not overbearing, but to me its usually pretty unpleasant to my ear. I would rather hear a slightly more diffuse sound that bends with the others rather than one that rips through 70 odd musicians on stage. I am aware that is subjective though, and not necessarily what others hear.

I am very aware that the low register is accessible on a 1 1/2G. I was fortunate to study with a fantastic player who played a 1 1/2G for his entire career and he had a very strong low register. I have also been very fortunate enough to have done some study with Michael Mulcahy who Im not totally sure what size mouthpiece he plays, but it is definitely a tenor one and he has unbelievable control of his low register. What I was trying to say is that PERSONALLY, whilst I dont dislike those sounds and other bass players that choose that kind of gear, I find the sounds that inspire me most come from players on generally bigger gear. Who knows? I may change my opinion one day.

I suppose one thing I also dislike is that especially on somewhere like here it is difficult to convey tone and intent down in writing. A lot of posts I read on here (by no one in particular!!!) that talk about players using 1/2 G's and smaller mouthpieces (bass and tenor) read a little as though they do so because they have reached some sort of higher understanding of some kind of elitist sound that can only be understood by those who play small gear. Some posts read a bit like, anyone who doesn't understand the 1 1/2G just isnt a good musician. Perhaps I am not clever enough, but I dont get it. What I have seen stem from there,  are young players who get reasonably small gear and misunderstand the kind of sound they should be making with their equipment. Where I come from, I see so many players playing small gear saying "I just want a more compact sound" and "I dont really like that big American sound concept". What usually happens here is that these players (younger ones in particular) Get incredibly aggressive sounds that stick out regardless of who they play with, irrelevant of a loud or soft dynamic. They usually dont understand that even on smaller gear a low register is possible and sometimes required so they tend to not be able to play very low at all. Where I come from, these players get frustrated because no one will hire them. They are hard to play with. Then they tell themselves that the reason they cannot find work is because everyone is too big gear focused. The players that make small gear work, have put in the work. There are problems that come with playing the 1 1/2G, just like there are different problems that come with playing a schilke 60. I dont believe that playing a 1 1/2G is easier like many seem to suggest, for reasons I have made in various posts, you still need to work. I also do not think it gives a superior sound, just different.

Whats that saying about using what works and you?  Image

Quite a tome... thank you for your thoughts. I own the 'massive overbearing' trade mark and take full responsibility. It is how I hear some playing. The 'get it ' thing about the 1 1/2G I would stand by.... You CAN get it, if you want... but it is not an easy option. Not a good musician if you don't 'get it' ? Of course not... there are GREAT musicians playing in what we tend to call the modern American style... James Markey comes to mind, though there are many others, like my friend John Rojak... and monsters like Dave Taylor, who I have spent many enjoyable hours with.  1 1/2G easier ? No way in any sense.... only in that if you want that sound, it does it. Lets not look at how kids fare on different mouthpieces... we are more into the 1 1/2G in professional settings here.

Chris Stearn
ttf_svenlarsson

Post by ttf_svenlarsson »

I still have a couple of 1 1/2G mpc in my studio, sometimes I put one of them in one of my horns. The sound I make with this mpc:s is great. It is not really the size, it is something in the design I believe.

So why do I not play the mpc?

To me (playing small tenor, large tenor, sackbut of different size, tuba, euphonium) using many sizes of mpc:s, the 1 1/2 G would take some more practise time them I could afford. Now I play Laskey 85 GM, more easy form me, not to big not to small. Maybe if I only played the basstrombone I could still be on 1 1/2G.
ttf_savio

Post by ttf_savio »

Some pages back my few words made an explosion here, but really an interesting one! The words was if the 1 1/2 have a future in the symphony orchestra. The conclusion must be it has a future since many orchestras around in fact have players on that size today.

My other words was that George Roberts kind of made the direction for bass trombone sound. Even for orchestra players. I think he did.... Image

All you young players, Chris told that not all development is necessary progress. I agree so much. That's why many orchestra players went away from the bigger, bigger, even bigger trend...development in 1980/90.

I was told by one young member their generation dont listen George Roberts, or even know his name. Well, now all of you young players have the opportunity, go to iTunes and buy the album "Makin whoopee" with Nelson Riddle. The most fantastic musicianship and sound on bass trombone ever made. ITunes changed the name on that album and added some more songs with George Roberts on bass trombone. Check it out! Mt Vernon 1 1/2g and the best sound he ever did

Do I say the 1 1/2 is the best choice, or is better than everything else? No, but it is still a good alternative in all scenarios. Not necessarily best.

There is some few things all you younger players must understand;

1. No mouthpiece size is better or worse than another, but there is a size that is more right for each one of us. Could be any size...

2. Its easy to believe bigger mouthpiece is same as bigger or better sound, for some it can be true, for some a bigger mouthpiece can even make you sound smaller or worse. The same with a 1 1/2 size.

3. Sound concepts can not be described, only captured bye listening. And it should be personal. So listen as much or many as possible, then make your own sound consept through practice and still listen every bass trombone player there is.

4. This is my personal thoughts, but sound is the most important thing after all when we play trombone. Musicality, rhythm, intonation......yes yes, but sound is essential for our instrument.

5. Sound needs lot of time and work to develop, in the end it is us that make the sound. Not the mouthpiece.

OK fellow bass players, as our mother tried to learn us all, be good to all and do our best everywhere  Image  Image

Leif

ttf_Posaunus

Post by ttf_Posaunus »

Quote from: savio on May 24, 2017, 01:01PM
OK fellow bass players, as our mother tried to learn us all, be good to all and do our best everywhere.

Leif

Leif,

Thanks for your insight and advice!   Image
ttf_savio

Post by ttf_savio »

Quote from: Posaunus on May 24, 2017, 02:41PMLeif,

Thanks for your insight and advice!   Image

You are welcome! But I really think there is something in that phrase... Image

I forgot one point in my last post;

6. There is of course no magic mouthpiece or size we all can use to make our playing better. We are all different and that's why we should use different gears.

7. Is the Mt Vernon magic? No it isn't, but it have a special sound.

Leif

ttf_slideorama

Post by ttf_slideorama »

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LojZ3A696U0

Christian Jones, in his right mind.
ttf_Terraplane8Bob

Post by ttf_Terraplane8Bob »

I'm sorry to jump into this debate as late as I have and I hope my comments on two specific issues will be useful.  One regards the credentials of a highly regarded mouthpiece, the Bach 1 1/2 G, and the other, our habit of judging performers by recordings. A posting about a dozen or so posts back mentioned recordings that influenced the writer and I'd like to address that.
  I still vividly remember hearing my instructor at The Eastman School of Music, Donald Knaub [RIP], play his Reynolds "Contempora" bass trombone for the first time.  My fledgling musical heart jumped at the possibility of EVER producing such a glorious sound on ANY instrument, brass or otherwise !  I found out later that he did it using a Bach 1 1/2 G and never reconsidered it until this recent thread regarding the passe' reputation of this otherwise perfectly functional device.  Don had suffered a calamitous event when working a construction job during his early years as a student.   A scaffold collapsed, sending the end of a long plank directly into his face, breaking off his front teeth and tearing his "chops" to shreds.  He credited his dentist for reconstructing his damaged embouchure to the point that he was able to become the fine virtuoso that he was as a bass trombonist.  His ability to draw such an amazing sound from the instrument was only unusual because of his difficult recovery, not anything to do with the Bach 1 1/2 G. I recall him raising his upper lip to show me the large lump of scar tissue that remained after the passing years.  I remember thinking, "Holy Mackerel !  If he can do what he does after THAT, I certainly can do better than I think I can" !  Every iteration of a number of mouthpieces that I had custom built in the following years by Giardinelli was definitely based on that old standby, the Bach 1 1/2 G.  To this day I really haven't moved SO far away from it, being presently enamoured of the "Wedge"  1G.  I'm still in the neighborhood, just living in a different house !
   My second observation is about recordings.  I've been an audiophile since the term was coined.  I learned much of the orchestral literature through recordings.  NOT "files" --- NOT "CDs" --- but analogue vinyl.  It was, and still is, the medium through which the most information is imparted musically.  Digital information is remarkable in so many ways : The incredibly "black" background from which the sound emanates, the amazing ability to manipulate the information through digital programs that address any whim of your imagination and a detachment from the ills of mechanical reproduction [speed control, wow & flutter, etc.]. I will concede that analogue reproduction requires equipment of unerringly precise and un-colored characteristics to achieve this "nirvana", but it is there.  It is quite necessary to evaluate your impressions of any recorded ensemble with skepticism.  I became a recording engineer after having a career-changing injury that kept me away from the bass trombone for over 20 years.  It was a natural move that combined my love of audio with my love of brass playing.  The outcome of the proceeding history is that I knew what I wanted to hear and admired recordings that achieved the naturalness that I'd learned to identify as a musician.
    Recording engineers are a curious lot.  Some have a technological background requiring a mathematical mind, some have a simple love for all things musical and others have an actual musical background, having trained to be a musician and aware of what sounds realistic and what doesn't.  We have become accustomed to so many manners of trickery in what we listen to and cannot really know what really happened at the event because the manipulations involved can create a totally different impression of what actually happened.  One recording that comes to mind was of The Chicago Symphony London recording of the Mahler 5th Symphony with George Solti conducting.  It was an odd sounding recording which, it was later discovered, was "pressed" out of "phase".  That means that every positive sound wave was actually a negative sound wave.  Think of playing a trombone by inhaling through the trombone instead of exhaling and you'll have the idea.  Any sound on that recording was immediately deprived of its "impact" because "high points" became "low points" etc.  Just imagine yourself, intent on learning the secrets of your favorite orchestra by listening to it "backwards" !!  Combine major screw-ups like that with the "editorial-ism" of the recording engineer who can strongly influence your impressions by merely the choice of the particular microphone that he uses.  I recall recording sessions with Deutsche Gramophone during which "engineers" strolled the recording stage, changing not only the microphones, but the placement of them while referring to "The Book" ["Das Buch"] which told them which microphone to use in which situation and how far away to place them from the respective instruments.   When questioned as to why they were doing this, the reply was. "It's in the book" !  All the more reason, in my opinion, for a musical background to be required [which the DG engineers may have even had] for people involved in the recording arts !
   I'm getting to the real point here, which is that if you want to hear the "real thing", it is paramount that you actually hear "the real thing".  I concede that there are many fine recordings out there and don't denigrate them in any way, but they are definitely in the minority.  The "sizzle" and "whoomph" that we hear and by which we are delighted, are in no way what we, as musicians, need to hear to inspire our moving forward in a performance career.  Live music is really the avenue to follow.  Let the "interpreters" do what they will to what you produce, but cling to live music.  It's the REAL thing and is what you find so appealing in the mate you choose, the favorite beer you drink and the trombone you choose to blow. The REAL thing ! Just sayin' ----  Cheers to all !!   Bob
ttf_tbarh

Post by ttf_tbarh »

Great post, Bob ! ...Keep it coming !  Image Image
ttf_blast

Post by ttf_blast »

Very good post Bob. You are so right. Of course, when I first heard a George Roberts recording tone was only a part of what shocked me... His great time and phrasing were a revelation.... but we must always base our tonal judgement on live sounds.
Chris Stearn
ttf_tbathras

Post by ttf_tbathras »

Quote from: blast on May 27, 2017, 10:10AMbut we must always base our tonal judgement on live sounds.

I desperately try to hear bass trombonists live when I can - but that is so few and far between where I am - out local symphony rarely has a full trombone compliment.  I found a guy that lives locally who is a top notch bass trombonist - I'm trying to get some lessons with him with 95% of the reason being that I just want to hear him up close.

I wish it weren't so hard.
ttf_blast

Post by ttf_blast »

Quote from: tbathras on Aug 09, 2017, 02:06PMI desperately try to hear bass trombonists live when I can - but that is so few and far between where I am - out local symphony rarely has a full trombone compliment.  I found a guy that lives locally who is a top notch bass trombonist - I'm trying to get some lessons with him with 95% of the reason being that I just want to hear him up close.

I wish it weren't so hard.

You live in a beautiful part of the world... You can't have everything. Gabe is not so far away and makes a great sound. I will be in MA over Christmas... if you want to travel we could play some duets... beer keeps me happy.

Chris Stearn
ttf_tbathras

Post by ttf_tbathras »

Quote from: blast on Aug 09, 2017, 02:29PMYou live in a beautiful part of the world... You can't have everything. Gabe is not so far away and makes a great sound. I will be in MA over Christmas... if you want to travel we could play some duets... beer keeps me happy.

Chris Stearn

I wouldn't miss that opportunity! I'll get in touch with you as December nears.

I do try to travel to Boston when I can.  I'm actually moving about an hour closer at the end of the month so it's only about 2hrs away.
ttf_Gabe Langfur

Post by ttf_Gabe Langfur »

Quote from: blast on Aug 09, 2017, 02:29PMYou live in a beautiful part of the world... You can't have everything. Gabe is not so far away and makes a great sound. I will be in MA over Christmas... if you want to travel we could play some duets... beer keeps me happy.

Chris Stearn

Thank you Chris!

Yes, there are a lot of great trombone players in New England. I feel very lucky to be part of the community.
ttf_Torobone

Post by ttf_Torobone »

I finally got my hands on a vintage-ish Yamaha 322 from the mid-90s. These horns have a great sound that is so easy to produce - it is likely a .547 with a beautiful bass register.

I will only use a 1-1/2G in it. My best one is a Kelly made of Lexan, but my Holton 1-1/2G is quite nice too.

My Bach 1-1/2G is an anti-MV. It is awful, and I wouldn't want to burden another person with it by selling it.

ttf_tbathras

Post by ttf_tbathras »

I did some blind tests with my wife listening and hands down she preferred my Greg Black 1-1/2G over anything else I have of all different sizes; and I have a decent collection.

There is just something about that size, especially with the rather custom Shires setup I have.

Can't wait to try out my Mr. Bass Trombone Reeves/BrassArk mouthpiece that's coming today.  I used to have one and if I remember right, it is a real contender.
ttf_savio

Post by ttf_savio »

Guess what guys.....today I got hands on a pretty Mt Vernon 1.5g. It was pure luck. A friend of mine that play trumpet posted some picture on facebook with a collection of bass trombone mouthpieces he got from a retired bass trombone player. I didn't look so much at it but suddenly I saw there was a Bach mouthpiece. Had a closer look and YES! To my big surprise it was an Mt Vernon!!!! Well, rest is history, I got it today for a rather cheap price. But not super cheap, my friend knew what it was worth, they are popular among trumpet players also.

Anyway, dont have much chance to try it tonight. I'm sitting in a hotel room and have to play a concert tomorrow. Tried it 5 minutes before a rehearsel tonight. A little different from the one I already have. In fact deeper and a little more V shaped. A little different on the lips. Didn't dear to use it in the ensemble because its a rather important concert tomorrow. Will try it more after the concert.

Look how nice it looks!!  LUCKY LUCKY like some other in the forum always write Image Image Image

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AnFhNyFesmcYhLhsi1ft7qsK0xX2kw

Leif

ttf_blast

Post by ttf_blast »

Quote from: savio on Sep 15, 2017, 02:24PMGuess what guys.....today I got hands on a pretty Mt Vernon 1.5g. It was pure luck. A friend of mine that play trumpet posted some picture on facebook with a collection of bass trombone mouthpieces he got from a retired bass trombone player. I didn't look so much at it but suddenly I saw there was a Bach mouthpiece. Had a closer look and YES! To my big surprise it was an Mt Vernon!!!! Well, rest is history, I got it today for a rather cheap price. But not super cheap, my friend knew what it was worth, they are popular among trumpet players also.

Anyway, dont have much chance to try it tonight. I'm sitting in a hotel room and have to play a concert tomorrow. Tried it 5 minutes before a rehearsel tonight. A little different from the one I already have. In fact deeper and a little more V shaped. A little different on the lips. Didn't dear to use it in the ensemble because its a rather important concert tomorrow. Will try it more after the concert.

Look how nice it looks!!  LUCKY LUCKY like some other in the forum always write Image Image Image

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AnFhNyFesmcYhLhsi1ft7qsK0xX2kw

Leif

Well done !!!  Every one is a little different... all good, but different. Over the summer I messed around with a MV 2G and my oldest MV 1 1/2G but the one I picked up in summer of 2016 is still the winner.... it just fits my face. No idea what the magic is but it is real enough. I have MV's for my small tenor, bass and tuba.... I suppose a symphony tenor piece and a contra piece would be nice, but that would be greedy  Image Image

Chris Stearn

Return to “Mouthpieces”