Bach 8 mouthpiece questions

ttf_nemomcnab

Post by ttf_nemomcnab »

I was recently complaining to community bandmates about the warn plating on my Bach 7c. My lips don't care for raw brass but my budget is not currently friendly to new mouthpiece expenses. So at our last rehearsal a gal in my section shows up with a mouthpiece she's had sitting in a drawer unused for years. She had never played it and wondered if I would like to try it out to see if I would be interested in it. It is a Vincent Bach Corp. 8 which I had  never encountered in person.

Against my own best judgment, I decided to try it out in rehearsal without warmup. I plugged it into my 60's Conn 6h and gave it a go. I was on the first book and we were site-reading some challenging stuff - Gershwin, Copeland, etc., so what was I thinking? (By the way I should mention that, as a trombonist, I'm a pretty good jazz piano player.) Anyway, the first thing I noticed was how comfortable the 8 was on the lips compared to the 7c which was nice. The next thing I noticed was that the lack of "c" cup was not helping me with articulations on high notes like I was used to with the 7c. So while the conductor was castigating the flutes and clarinets for their inability to decipher accidentals at lighting speed, I took a look inside the mouthpiece and noticed how deep and funnel-shaped it was and how much smaller the throat was than the 7c. Hmm, seemed like something you'd see used for Euphonium maybe. By the end of the rehearsal I had begun to get a feel for the mouthpiece in terms of making it do what I needed. I kind of liked the "rounder" tone I was getting, too. I have not had a chance to practice with it on my own yet or to try it out in a big band setting but I've decided to give it a proper workout as soon as I can.

I'd like to ask if any of you have played one of these before and what you thought of it if you have? Also, are they hen's teeth? I don't think I've ever even heard of them. Is there a good reason for this? I appreciate any info or thoughts on the subject. I am definitely going to see how it plays for me but I just really curious. Thanks.

ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist

Post by ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist »

I’ve played a 9, 6, and 3. I used the 9 for pretty much the first half of my university career in all my small bores. I think they just aren’t the best balanced mouthpieces. Sometimes stuffy and articulations can be covered. The right approach and setting let’s them work fine though! I’m still using a 3 to reign in a pretty loud horn and it also serves a perfect purpose as a backup piece to my DE juuuuuust in case I absent mindedly forget to bring it.
ttf_Dukesboneman

Post by ttf_Dukesboneman »

Congrats,
I primarily play a 7C but have used Bach 7`s .
I like the sound I get with the 7 but it`s not always suitable for the type of gigs I`m doing.
a number of years ago I sent my 7C off to get replated.
The onbly other mouthpiece I had at the time was a 7. I did all my R&B, Big band and teaching on it and got to really like it
and started to be able control it in the upper range.
When the 7C came back I didn`t use it for a awhile but the 7C won out in the ling run.
6`s, 7`s, 8`s 9`s, 11`s and 12`s are really under appreciated mouthpieces
ttf_heinz gries

Post by ttf_heinz gries »

The 8 has a wider flatter rim than the 7 and 9. i am right?
But the throat size is the same.
ttf_Dukesboneman

Post by ttf_Dukesboneman »

That is the 8 1/2 BW  that has the wide flat rim
ttf_Doug Elliott

Post by ttf_Doug Elliott »

I'm pretty sure I have an 8 in my collection.
ttf_Burgerbob

Post by ttf_Burgerbob »

I have a New York 7 that is the best match I have found for my 6H. Better overall than any of the "C" mouthpieces I have tried.
ttf_SMunger

Post by ttf_SMunger »

The 8 is identical to a 7 except it does have a wider, flatter rim. The 8 1/2 BW is even wider. I bought an 8 many years ago because I thought it might help with teeth that aren't real straight. It's my favorite mouthpiece for a medium bore trombone. Dark but lots of overtones. Probably not a jazz sound. The BW might be better in that respect.
ttf_SMunger

Post by ttf_SMunger »

The 8 is identical to a 7 except it does have a wider, flatter rim. The 8 1/2 BW is even wider. I bought an 8 many years ago because I thought it might help with teeth that aren't real straight. It's my favorite mouthpiece for a medium bore trombone. Dark but lots of overtones. Probably not a jazz sound. The BW might be better in that respect.

Return to “Mouthpieces”