My new Hammond: thoughts, background, first impressions

ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

First a little bit of background information on my equipment. I started on a Bach 5g and was ok with it for around 5 years but I felt myself outgrowing it, so my director gave me his old shilke 51d to try.

At the time I liked it and I played on it for about a year and the more I played it, and the more I progressed as a player, the more I realized this mouthpiece just wasn't what I needed. Everything was sort of muffled and not very projected. I had a sound that people seemed to like, but it wasn't very "textbook".

About a month ago i decided it was time to change equipment as I felt the 51d was holding me back. After lots of research I decided to buy a Hammond 11mxl. This was a careful decision I made with the help of many people, some of which are on this forum. I got it today after a month and a half of waiting, and I'm in love with it.

The sound is crystal clear with much better articulation and projection than my euphoniumish mouthpiece ever had. Low notes sound great and come out quite a bit easier, they used to be my fatal flaw. High notes just sing and sound pure, unlike the muffledish ones before. Keep in mind these are first impressions but I don't see my opinion changing. Does anyone else have experienced with these mouthpieces?
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

First, you went with a slightly larger rim.  That helps the lower notes, as well as the depth (not quite as deep as the 51D, but fairly deep).

I tried an 11ML and thought it was nice, but I like my Wick 4BL better.  But I'm not you and maybe the 11MXL is just the ticket. 

Good luck with it.
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

First, you went with a slightly larger rim.  That helps the lower notes, as well as the depth (not quite as deep as the 51D, but fairly deep).

I tried an 11ML and thought it was nice, but I like my Wick 4BL better.  But I'm not you and maybe the 11MXL is just the ticket. 

Good luck with it.

Return to “Mouthpieces”