Brassark CV mouthpiece

ttf_bigbassbone1

Brassark CV mouthpiece

Post by ttf_bigbassbone1 »

Hi all,
Just wondering if there are any players on here using the brassark CV mouthpiece and what their thoughts on it are?

I bought one here off the forum a few months ago on spur of the moment. When I first tried it I loved it! I have been playing a Laskey 93D for several years before the CV, and found on the CV the high register is so much easier, articulations are clearer, and it seems a lot less work to achieve extremes of loud or soft dynamics.

However, I keep coming back to my laskey. Usually after some time of getting adjusted to the CV I pop my laskey back in, and pretty much consistently find that even though it is genrally more work to play, there is a richness to the sound quality that I just miss in the CV... i cant put my finger on it, but its dramatic enough that I still havent moved "full time" to the CV.
The Low register I also find is superior on my laskey, and for some reason the only technical feature easier on the Laskey than my CV seems to be slurs (in any context).

I cant bring myself to sell the CV just yet, as there is so much that I like about it, but was wondering how others were finding it? Hoping for some insightful discussion.
ttf_mr.deacon

Brassark CV mouthpiece

Post by ttf_mr.deacon »

Which blank is your CV mouthpiece?
ttf_bigbassbone1

Brassark CV mouthpiece

Quote from: mr.deacon on Jan 31, 2018, 08:28PMWhich blank is your CV mouthpiece?

I didnt know you could get them in different blanks.... but i guess light?
ttf_mr.deacon

Brassark CV mouthpiece

Post by ttf_mr.deacon »

Yeah check out Noah's website. There is a light blank aka the "Mercury blank" and like a regular weight blank.

The Mercury blank is quite a bit lighter then the regular blank.

When I tried out the Bob Reeves stuff at ITF I was a really big fan of the Mercury blank pieces. The regular weight blanks remind me of Ferguson/Minick style pieces, they are pretty heavy. If you happen to like the 93D (which is a supppper light weight blank) you might dig the Mercury blank more then the regular blank.
ttf_Burgerbob

Brassark CV mouthpiece

Post by ttf_Burgerbob »

I'd love to borrow it for a couple weeks. Maybe we can trade for the 1G for a bit?
ttf_bigbassbone1

Brassark CV mouthpiece

Quote from: Burgerbob on Jan 31, 2018, 10:03PMI'd love to borrow it for a couple weeks. Maybe we can trade for the 1G for a bit?

That is an interesting and very likely offer. Lets discuss this.

What wrong with your one? :p
ttf_Burgerbob

Brassark CV mouthpiece

Post by ttf_Burgerbob »

I love it! May as well make my commission from Greg...  Image
ttf_bigbassbone1

Brassark CV mouthpiece

Quote from: mr.deacon on Jan 31, 2018, 08:56PMYeah check out Noah's website. There is a light blank aka the "Mercury blank" and like a regular weight blank.

The Mercury blank is quite a bit lighter then the regular blank.

When I tried out the Bob Reeves stuff at ITF I was a really big fan of the Mercury blank pieces. The regular weight blanks remind me of Ferguson/Minick style pieces, they are pretty heavy. If you happen to like the 93D (which is a supppper light weight blank) you might dig the Mercury blank more then the regular blank.

From looking at Noah's pictures I am pretty sure mine is actually the mercury blank. I haven't checked on scales, but it does feel noticably heavier than my 93. I just wasn't aware you could order a signature model in different weights.
ttf_Slipmo

Brassark CV mouthpiece

Post by ttf_Slipmo »

Since everything is hand made to order, pretty much anything is possible... especially if you're local to LA, you can come to the shop and try the piece while we make it.

FWIW, we've had a lot of orders coming from Laskey 93 players that have been ordering CV with custom 29.3mm inner diameters and standard width rim profiles (CV has a narrowed rim). We've also done a few special on the standard weight bass trombone outer shape which is more like a Minick style weight with great success.

Hope that helps  Image
ttf_bigbassbone1

Brassark CV mouthpiece

Quote from: Slipmo on Feb 01, 2018, 10:02AMSince everything is hand made to order, pretty much anything is possible... especially if you're local to LA, you can come to the shop and try the piece while we make it.

FWIW, we've had a lot of orders coming from Laskey 93 players that have been ordering CV with custom 29.3mm inner diameters and standard width rim profiles (CV has a narrowed rim). We've also done a few special on the standard weight bass trombone outer shape which is more like a Minick style weight with great success.

Hope that helps  Image

Oh man I didnt realise it was available in so many options. Thanks for commenting, yes I am semi local to L.A. at the moment, I would love to come and have a look at your shop at some point! When I return To L.A. i will send you an email.
ttf_anonymous

Brassark CV mouthpiece

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Is the 29.3 smaller or bigger than the production version?

Thanks
ttf_Slipmo

Brassark CV mouthpiece

Post by ttf_Slipmo »

Production version is 29.5mm inner diameter, with a slimmer rim profile.
ttf_Slipmo

Brassark CV mouthpiece

Post by ttf_Slipmo »

Production version is 29.5mm inner diameter, with a slimmer rim profile.

Return to “Mouthpieces”