Leadpipeless Mouthpiece Confusion?

ttf_beansessette

Post by ttf_beansessette »

Hi all,

I recently purchased an old copy of one of Charlie Vernon’s no-leadpipe mouthpieces. When I go to put the mouthpiece in my horn, the shank is too big to use with a leadpipe, as expected. However, when I take out the leadpipe the shank seems to be too small and wobbles around a bit, unless I shove it pretty far into leadpipe receiver. Even then it feels like I am forcing it into the slide tubing. (I play on a Shires bass.) Am I doing something wrong? Am I missing a step? I am in need of some veteran advice here.
Thanks!
-SMB

(Disclaimer: Before I get any salty comments about woofy sounding slide tubas- I am not planning on using the no-leadpipe setup for ANY performance situations in the near future whatsoever. Only in PRACTICE to help with air and embouchure management.)
ttf_Gabe Langfur

Post by ttf_Gabe Langfur »

I also got my hands on one of those mouthpieces recently. It doesn't work in a Shires bass, really. It was designed to be used in a Bach slide with the leadpipe pulled - so a slide that was not set up for threaded leadpipes.

ttf_BassBoneFL

Post by ttf_BassBoneFL »

Quote from: Gabe Langfur on Jan 16, 2018, 12:33PMI also got my hands on one of those mouthpieces recently. It doesn't work in a Shires bass, really. It was designed to be used in a Bach slide with the leadpipe pulled - so a slide that was not set up for threaded leadpipes.

Yup. On a leadpipe-less Bach the inner slide tube is right at the top of the receiver. On a Shires there is a gap between the top of the receiver and the top of the slide tube.

ttf_JohnL

Post by ttf_JohnL »

It probably wouldn't be too difficult for someone to fabricate a receiver tube with a threaded collar. Maybe just find a damaged leadpipe, cut it off short and ream out the receiver a bit.
ttf_mr.deacon

Post by ttf_mr.deacon »

Quote from: JohnL on Jan 16, 2018, 01:08PMIt probably wouldn't be too difficult for someone to fabricate a receiver tube with a threaded collar. Maybe just find a damaged leadpipe, cut it off short and ream out the receiver a bit.
Instrument Invitations makes exactly that. OP should check it out.
ttf_beansessette

Thanks for the help everyone. For those leadpipe adapters, which ones fit Shires between the fine or coarse threads?
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

Quote from: beansessette on Yesterday at 09:16 AMThanks for the help everyone. For those leadpipe adapters, which ones fit Shires between the fine or coarse threads?

Best bet is to send them an e-mail. They're very responsive. Just tell them you want to order one that will accept your mouthpiece and fit the shires threads. Better yet, you might tell them your predicament and they might be able to make a custom one that fits the shank perfectly, since you aren't really after a leadpipe receiver, per se.  They're really great to work with and have historically done one offs with minor variations like that for very similar pricing to the stock components. 
ttf_mr.deacon

Post by ttf_mr.deacon »

Ditto to what Matt K said!
ttf_beansessette

I emailed Instrument Innovations, and to summarize their response it doesn't sound like they would be able to make something like this. Looks like I'll have to find a tech who can, or just directly contact Shires.
ttf_slideorama

Post by ttf_slideorama »

I’ll take the CV piece off your hands if it doesn’t work out. Never tried one, but it has been on my list for a while.
Mike
ttf_slideorama

Post by ttf_slideorama »

I’ll take the CV piece off your hands if it doesn’t work out. Never tried one, but it has been on my list for a while.
Mike

Return to “Mouthpieces”