Alessi 1B, liking it so far!

ttf_harrison.t.reed

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

So, I had been in search of a second mouthpiece to play on my large tenor. I have been playing the 1C for almost everything, but I haven't been 100% satisfied with it in really small groups, like a brass quintet, or that one fun time I covered bassoon parts in a woodwind quintet. I had gotten a comment once from a euphonium player that the trombone had been, at times, a bit too big sounding for the BQ, and while I got plenty of great comments after the woodwind performance, It had taken quite a lot of work and tweaking to tame the trombone and have it fit in the group nicely.

Enter the Alessi 1A. It is not the droid I am looking for. This piece, if anything, projects like crazy and is actually quite difficult for me to play. It feels like cheating in the upper register, but below a G above the bass staff, it just feels very tough to get a rich sound out of. I will figure out what I can use this piece for, but it was a step too far. Exit the 1A.

Enter the 1B. So far I'm liking it! I feel like I can get the horn to respond and play what I need to play with a bit of a lighter touch, but at tge same time I'm not losing the middle and lower register. Really looking forward to trying it in the BQ after the break is over!

FWIW, I had emailed Griego Mouthpieces to see if they would tell me what they were going for with the 1A, since it is a LOT different from the 1C. I was hoping to learn what Joe might have asked for, and what the reasons for designing it that way might have been, but after quite some time it looks like I won't be getting a response. Not that I'm complaining. I know Christan is a very busy guy, and the 1C already has been a game changer.
ttf_trombonemetal

Post by ttf_trombonemetal »

Just out of curiosity, did you ever try the Griego Bousfield pieces?
ttf_harrison.t.reed

No, not yet. I will eventually!
ttf_harrison.t.reed

No, not yet. I will eventually!

Return to “Mouthpieces”