Yamaha 52L - a hidden gem

ttf_john jenkins

Post by ttf_john jenkins »

I've recently acquired a relatively new Yamaha 52L (25.65mm cup diameter w/ .280" throat and semi-wide backbore) and it's an EXCELLENT mouthpiece -- much better than the older generation 52L I used to own years ago. It's so well-balanced and slots beautifully. It's a good blend of depth of sound and core, but with a tinge of the Vincent Bach clarity. The rim contour is a good all-around shape -- not too flat, not too round. I wish it were more narrow and rounded, but again, it's a good middle-of-the-road shape. It blows freely (not as much as a GB or Hammond, but much more than a Bach). The mouthpiece size (in terms of diameter) is closest to a Schilke 51.

I think this mouthpiece is a clear winner, especially considering it can be had for less than $50 shipped brand new. I do not work for Yamaha and have nothing to gain from this post other than to bring awareness to my fellow forumites.

Any of you currently use a newer Yamaha 52 or have in the past? I'd love to know your thoughts/opinions. Thank you.
ttf_modelerdc

Post by ttf_modelerdc »

I also find that Yamaha mouthpieces are very good. I have a Yamaha 51L that's excellent on the large bore tenor and a 51C small shank that's great on a Bach 36. I also like the Yamaha 48 on small bores for general playing, and the Yamaha 59 is a great mouthpiece in the 1 1/2G range. I don't actually use these much as I'm used to larger rims, but would recommend them as well worth trying to anyone who looking in that range size. I like the rim on the Yamaha 53DL that came with my Yamaha Euphonium, but it's a bit deep for tenor trombone. Works great on Euphonium!
ttf_john jenkins

Quote from: modelerdc on Dec 21, 2017, 09:54PMI also find that Yamaha mouthpieces are very good. I have a Yamaha 51L that's excellent on the large bore tenor and a 51C small shank that's great on a Bach 36. I also like the Yamaha 48 on small bores for general playing, and the Yamaha 59 is a great mouthpiece in the 1 1/2G range. I don't actually use these much as I'm used to larger rims, but would recommend them as well worth trying to anyone who looking in that range size. I like the rim on the Yamaha 53DL that came with my Yamaha Euphonium, but it's a bit deep for tenor trombone. Works great on Euphonium!

I have the 51L also, and it really helps with response and clarity. It helps to produce a true trombone sound.
ttf_john jenkins

Quote from: modelerdc on Dec 21, 2017, 09:54PMI also find that Yamaha mouthpieces are very good. I have a Yamaha 51L that's excellent on the large bore tenor and a 51C small shank that's great on a Bach 36. I also like the Yamaha 48 on small bores for general playing, and the Yamaha 59 is a great mouthpiece in the 1 1/2G range. I don't actually use these much as I'm used to larger rims, but would recommend them as well worth trying to anyone who looking in that range size. I like the rim on the Yamaha 53DL that came with my Yamaha Euphonium, but it's a bit deep for tenor trombone. Works great on Euphonium!

I have the 51L also, and it really helps with response and clarity. It helps to produce a true trombone sound.

Return to “Mouthpieces”