Bass Trombone Mouthpiece question

ttf_Dukesboneman

Post by ttf_Dukesboneman »

I am primarily a Tenor player, but I`ve gotten into Bass trombone seriously in the last year. Playing in a 10 pcc Jazz group where I`m the Bass Trombone/Tuba chair.
My horn is an older Yamaha 321 single trigger . It`s a great horn and does everything I need. I`m currently playing on a Yamaha 58, which I know is not the biggest mouthpiece around.
I`m pretty happy with the rim feel and size but I`d like something that will give me a little more sock in the low range
Any ideas?
I`m kind of interested in Doug Elliotts 107 Bass rim (I believe it`s some where between 2G & 1 1/1 G size)
I don`t want to go too big rim wise as I don`t use this as my primary horn. but I do have to improvise with it too in the 10 pc. so I don`t want something that could become unweildy
Thanks

ttf_hyperbolica

Post by ttf_hyperbolica »

For me, the best mouthpiece has been the Ferguson V. I've used Bach 2G, Faxx 1 1/2G, Bach 1 1/4G, Yeo replica, DE Euph 108J, Kanstul GR. I know that leaves a lot of popular pieces out, but the Ferguson V really stands out for having a better sound and more power down low. It's larger than the 1 1/2, but doesn't really feel like it. You can easily pick it out of a lineup blind by both sound and feel. The 1 1/4G also gave more power, but it was just a dull sound. The V was better in both aspects. Size isn't everything.
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Something a little deeper than the 1 1/2G / 58 size might be the ticket.  If you are into Doug's pieces maybe look into the LB series 107 J (K if the J isn't deep enough).

I've had good success with Marcinkiewicz 2 and 3 mouthpieces (don't think he still makes the 2 -- it's the George Roberts model).

Good luck with your search.
ttf_wgwbassbone

Post by ttf_wgwbassbone »

I have a Yamaha 59(1 and1/2 size) I'll sell you.
ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist

Post by ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist »

Do you want more stank ( sizzle ) or more punch? The YBL321 I played around with for a while lit up pretty well. Exciting horn. I would think a Yamaha 59 would be big enough to contain some of that while letting you give it more volume and presence in the lower register. I haven’t played any smaller DE bass pieces, but the couple I e played in the LB and XB series have all been great.

Try out some Laskeys if you can, too! While the one I tried was about a size too large on the rim I loved how it felt while playing in the basement. Easy enough to finesse in a smaller band.
ttf_mr.deacon

Post by ttf_mr.deacon »

I highly recommend Doug's stuff. IMO on my face his 107 rim feels like a true 1 1/2G piece while is 108 is ever so slightly bigger. His 106 rim is like a true 2g sized piece. Your results may differ depending on the width of the rim and the material.

Also look at his I, J or K cups. They correspond to a traditional 1 1/2G, slightly larger then a 1 1/2G and Schilke 59 respectively. All the the different cups make quite a difference in how a setup plays. Heck even picking his SB or LB series makes a difference. If you're shooting for a 2G or 1 1/2G sized piece I'd pick his SB series... if you're shooting for a Schilke 59 or 1 1/4G size mouthpiece I'd shoot for his LB series.
ttf_marccromme

Post by ttf_marccromme »

Quote from: Dukesboneman on Dec 11, 2017, 06:24AMMy horn is an older Yamaha 321 single trigger . It`s a great horn and does everything I need. I`m currently playing on a Yamaha 58, which I know is not the biggest mouthpiece around.
I`m pretty happy with the rim feel and size but I`d like something that will give me a little more sock in the low range
Any ideas?

Cheap and very fine fit for the instrument, and a nice step up from a Yamaha 58 is the ... tada ... Yamaha 59. If you want it a bit larger than that, try a Laskey 85 MD.

I would (yet) not invest in custom pieces, but would explore the 1 1/2 to 1 1/4 range in off-the-shelf pieces first.
ttf_sirisobhakya

Post by ttf_sirisobhakya »

I also recommend, as many before me did, the Yamaha 59. The rim diameter is also around 1.07" (27.22mm in the spec sheet).

The price is not that high, around $70-$80 for silver-plated ones and around $110 for gold-plated.
ttf_Trombocholik

Post by ttf_Trombocholik »

Bach Mt. Vernon 2G or 1 1/2G. Image
ttf_svenlarsson

Post by ttf_svenlarsson »

Yes the Yammy 59 is a very good mpc. And the 321 is a very good horn!
You can also try Laskey 85MD (My best mpc) or 90D if you want a bigger piece. Of course Bach 2G or 1 1/2G.
ttf_pedrombon

Post by ttf_pedrombon »

Yamaha 59, great sound, comfortable rim and cheap. Ideal for doublers.  Image
ttf_Dukesboneman

Thanks for the recommendations. A fellow forum member contacted me and I`ve purchased a Yamaha 59.
Let`s see what happens
ttf_Ellrod

Post by ttf_Ellrod »

Anyone interested in trading their Yam 59 for my Yam 60? Too big for me.
ttf_Dukesboneman

So, My Yamaha 59 came in the mail the other day. Popped it in the horn for a minute , Felt good. New years eve and day - No gigs (thank God) heavy Practice time on Tenor and Bass.
The Yamaha 59 is GREAT !!! Big open low range and still workable in the upper ranger which I need for this one band I play with.
Great investment
ttf_Burgerbob

Post by ttf_Burgerbob »

Quote from: Ellrod on Dec 14, 2017, 03:30PMAnyone interested in trading their Yam 59 for my Yam 60? Too big for me.

I have a couple I could just send you. Already have a Yamaha 60!
ttf_Stan

Post by ttf_Stan »

Quote from: Burgerbob on Jan 02, 2018, 11:31PMI have a couple I could just send you. Already have a Yamaha 60!

If you're handing out free Yamaha 59s, count me in Bob!
ttf_Ellrod

Post by ttf_Ellrod »

Email sent.
ttf_Torobone

Post by ttf_Torobone »

I played a Yamaha 321 for about 12 years until 1990. It is the ideal bass for a tenor player. I recently acquired my own Yamaha 322 (early 90s version of the 321).

I've found the best mouthpiece for this horn is a Holton 1 1/2G or a Kelly 1 1/2G. The Yamaha 59 is a bit bigger than a Bach 1 1/2G and is a decent starter mouthpiece for a double trigger horn. It can with my 830. But there you go.

I also have a Yamaha 60 which I haven't really played.  My Griego .75 is working great for my 830.
ttf_Ellrod

Post by ttf_Ellrod »

My Yam 60 is free to whomever wants it. (contribution to shipping appreciated though)

ttf_crazytrombonist505

Post by ttf_crazytrombonist505 »

Quote from: Ellrod on Jan 04, 2018, 05:01PMMy Yam 60 is free to whomever wants it. (contribution to shipping appreciated though)

PM sent
ttf_Ellrod

Post by ttf_Ellrod »

The 60 is spoken for.
ttf_musicofnote

Post by ttf_musicofnote »

When I took up playing bass again after a 4-5 year break AND selling my Bach 50 AND buying my Yamaha 822g. I bought a Yamaha 58. Great mp. Wondersound, intonation and helped be get back slowly downstairs. When I got the feeling, that it was holding me back a bit in the basement, I bought a Yamaha 59 and the sound opened up, but I did lose a but up top - temporarily. I then got a Wedge S59 and that has helped to "correct" a small playing fault left over from my trumpet days. Not a bad mouthpiece, but like the Yamaha 59 a tad limiting in the basement. Finally, I took out the Yeo replica that came with the horn and had felt like a bucket. Now, after using iron and patience, I was ready for the mp. Basement opened up down to pedal d and funny enough, I didn't lose much up top. The only problem up top is that, while intonation and accuracy is good, tone color up there is a bit thin. But then again, if you try to play violin parts on a string bass at sounding pitch, they're not going to sound like a high bass part. They're going to sound a bit "worked".

What I have noticed is, that because all this took place within a year's time, I've developed the ability to switch mouthpieces with no adverse effects. So I can decide to play through the Creation Solo, slap in the Yamaha 58 and be able to do it like falling off a chair, relatively speaking. Then go back to the Wedge S59 or the Yeo.

So now the process starts again, but now with the Rath R400. Wedge 4G is not bad and set me up for playing efficiently on the tenor, which is a different animal than that Yami. After working through several mps, I'm on a Schilke 52E2. I can ride that all the way up to high d or e-flat, coming from a pedal b-flat.
ttf_Dukesboneman

I had my first gig and rehearsal with the 59. LOVE IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
the gig is Bass Trombone///Tuba in a 10 piece group with soloing .
The mouthpiece gave me everything I wanted and More..
I couldn`t be happier. If I was a full time Bass Trombonist  maybe not but It`s workin` for me
ttf_Dukesboneman

I had my first gig and rehearsal with the 59. LOVE IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
the gig is Bass Trombone///Tuba in a 10 piece group with soloing .
The mouthpiece gave me everything I wanted and More..
I couldn`t be happier. If I was a full time Bass Trombonist  maybe not but It`s workin` for me

Return to “Mouthpieces”