Matching and Olds mpc to an Olds trombone, or any mpc to any horn?

ttf_Brer Cottonmouth

Post by ttf_Brer Cottonmouth »

Pretty nebulous question, for sure; but I suspect that others have similar questions. So here's my specifics: Mostly, I play a late-40s Olds Super, a Studio, and a Recording. I have several Olds 3 mpcs, which work well in each of them. But I also have an Olds 3C and a 12C. (I also have an Olds 10, but that super shallow cup just doesn't seem to fit anything I want to do.)  Maybe my question is: Is there a scientific/technical way to match a mpc to a horn, or does it depend mostly on personal taste/the day? I'm seem to prefer playing the pea shooters (the Super and Studio), but I kind of like the warmth and character of the Recoding with the 12C. Is that because the 12C makes the Recording play like a small bore? Looking at those three mpcs, I can't see a whole lot of difference—fairly similar cups and bores.

And I bet the answer depends on the style of music you're playing. I play mostly hot jazz/blues and only care about the normal register of a straight trombone, so I'm not trying to hit way high notes or do anything extradordinary. But I sure want a mpc/horn that can growl and be expressive when I want. Here's a sample of my foolish band: https://youtu.be/YP_z1_Tpi_8

So I keep switching horns and mpcs, trying to find the perfect combination. But it seems to depend on that moment's preference. Do I just need to keep trying different combinations until I finally settle on what I like, or is there a formula that can guide me?

Those Olds 3 mpcs are pretty ubiquitous, but I assume Olds supplied them with their horns because they'd determined that that mpc was the best fit. It's the go-to mpc for any Olds horn, but maybe there are even better alternatives.
ttf_Brer Cottonmouth

Wow, that generated a lot of comment. So I'm assuming that matching the right mpc to the horn depends on personal taste/the day. Technical specs be dammed.
ttf_Tbonedude

Post by ttf_Tbonedude »

Quote from: Brer Cottonmouth on Dec 13, 2017, 04:55PMWow, that generated a lot of comment. So I'm assuming that matching the right mpc to the horn depends on personal taste/the day. Technical specs be dammed.

I've found that sometimes if you can locate and are comfortable with the mouthpiece a horn came with, that seems to work. My Trombonium is really finicky and difficult to control until I put an H.N.White 28 in it, which is what it originally came with. But you are correct- it's more down to preference than anything. If you like the way a horn plays with a certain piece, go with it!
ttf_TriJim

Post by ttf_TriJim »

Since new, my 60s-era Olds Super with the supplied Olds 3 has a resonant 'buzz' from approximately middle C-F.  I had the slide tuned and lacquer redone without improvement.  Tried another Olds 3 and no improvement.  No buzz when I play the same horn with a SS Bach 5 or 6 1/2.

I tried a similar Olds Super with an Olds 3 at ATW a couple years ago and it sounded fine.  This appears to be a problem only with my Super and the Olds 3.  Not sure the cause - maybe some strange interaction of overtones - but now I play with the 5 or 6 1/2 and it sounds great.   
ttf_Brer Cottonmouth

[Since new, my 60s-era Olds Super with the supplied Olds 3 has a resonant 'buzz' from approximately middle C-F.  I had the slide tuned and lacquer redone without improvement.  Tried another Olds 3 and no improvement.  No buzz when I play the same horn with a SS Bach 5 or 6 1/2.]

Hmm ... I have several vintage mpcs (Bach 6 1/2 AL, King 28, Yamahas, Martins), but none seem to really work in my Olds. I assume that's because only Olds mpcs fit perfectly. Olds 3s work well in all my Olds horns. I'm just wondering if a 3C, 12C, or 10 might work even better. And I assume that other folks with other horns might also be wondering which mpc might work best in their instruments. There's a lot of variables out there.

ttf_bonesmarsh

Post by ttf_bonesmarsh »

Brer, Most vintage Olds bones are dual bore. You might get some relief and success from a proper baritone mouthpiece, designed for conical/dual bore horns like the modern baritone.

I have vintage Olds bones, and a baritone, and the best fit and sound ( and most importantly, feel) to replicate an Olds 3 is the modern Steven Mead Denis Wick 9BS.
Small shank, deep cup, slightly larger throat. The Steven Mead model is not the trombone model. 7C in size, but deeper with a very slightly larger throat.
ttf_salsabone

Post by ttf_salsabone »

To add to bonesmarsh wick type recommendations.  My '53 LA Olds Studio is one of my favs.  It was pairing it with my wick 12CS Heritage series mouthpiece was the main clincher for this to happen.  Now I know that I prefer smallet rim size mouthpieces, but they make the small bore Heritage series in larger rims if that is better for you.  It just seemed to me that the overall design characteristics of this series pair excellently with the playing characteristics of the Olds Studio  Try one of these, it might just work for you as well.

Salsabone
ttf_salsabone

Post by ttf_salsabone »

To add to bonesmarsh wick type recommendations.  My '53 LA Olds Studio is one of my favs.  It was pairing it with my wick 12CS Heritage series mouthpiece was the main clincher for this to happen.  Now I know that I prefer smallet rim size mouthpieces, but they make the small bore Heritage series in larger rims if that is better for you.  It just seemed to me that the overall design characteristics of this series pair excellently with the playing characteristics of the Olds Studio  Try one of these, it might just work for you as well.

Salsabone

Return to “Mouthpieces”