Doug Elliott Series Comparison

ttf_pompatus

Post by ttf_pompatus »

How do the different series of Mr. Elliott's system compare with one another when using the same size?  If I've been playing an LT101.G.G8, how will an XT101.G.G8 or a Euph101.G.G8 differ? 

I've searched the forum for about an hour with no success in answering my question, and Doug's site lists each series as having the characteristics of a specific mouthpiece, for example "The XT series has a general "feel" about like a 4G".  If I've never played a 4G, is there a way of understanding how the different series compare when speaking in terms of the same "size" setup?

I'd like to try a different setup on my euphonium, and was hoping the differences might be negligible, in that I might be able to stay within the LT series and be able to use or swap components with my tenor setup.
ttf_Doug Elliott

Post by ttf_Doug Elliott »

If you get everything you need and want out of the LT series, you can stay with it.

The XT series will have a more open feel and a little bigger sound.  EUPH will be even more.  The 101's will all have exactly the same rim surface and inside diameter, and the G cups will have the same depth, the XT is just wider than LT and EUPH is wider than XT.  The additional width inside the cup is what gives the more open feeling and bigger sound.

For euphonium a G9 backbore would also open it up slightly but in a different way.  And for euphonium you may very well want a cup deeper than a G.

If you tell me more about your playing or play for me on Skype I can help you make the best choice.  I see in your profile  you have a Wick SM4.  That would probably fit in somewhere between XT and EUPH in terms of feel.

ttf_pompatus

Post by ttf_pompatus »

Thanks, for the response and clarification. 

How do your cup shapes compare to that of the Wick?  I've played on the SM4, and before that the 4AL, on euphonium for many years and love the sound I get on that setup, but have always sort of suffered through what is a somewhat uncomfortable rim shape for me in the name of getting the sound that I want.

I'll send a PM regarding a lesson or equipment assessment.
ttf_Doug Elliott

Post by ttf_Doug Elliott »

I don't have an SM4 for comparison.
ttf_pompatus

Post by ttf_pompatus »

The cup shape is very similar to the 4AL.  I believe the main differences between the two to be that the SM4 has a more open V-type backbore and more mass from the exterior shape.
ttf_JazzPro

Post by ttf_JazzPro »

I've been using Doug's pieces off and on for some time. I started with the LT series and felt that the C cup was too "much" (too much work on lead) for my .500 bore Kanstul. I had Doug send me an MTC cup and it's perfect for the Kanstul for lead work!  I can even play a double high Bb on it, which isn't possible on most of my other mpcs. Not that I need to play that note, but it's there if necessary.  And it still plays big, pretty, or with edge, depending on what I need to do.

But you also have to get a rim  that works on the cup. . The LT and MT rim  are not interchangeable on those cups because they don't line up with the inside diameters.

I love my gold plated  MT100-6/12AL

ttf_Euphmeister

Post by ttf_Euphmeister »

I'm in process of dealing with DE to try a LTI cup and I9 shank for euphonium. I played a Wick 4AL on both trombone and euphonium for many years. It gave me strong, big sound that I wanted, but as the years went on it became a lot of work to play. If you're not completely wedded to the idea of playing the same rim on trombone and euphonium, give the Ultra series a try. I found the switch from 4AL to SM4 was not that different. I've recently been performing on a SM5 Ultra that I really like. To my ears there is be warmth in the sound and clarity in the upper register that I could never get with the 4AL or SM4. When I added alto into the mix this fall I came to the realization that I'm at the stage where I can't keep switching mouthpieces. I'm going to see if I can find  a modular set-up for my .547 trombone and my euph. The next step would be something smaller that works for the 3B and the alto.
ttf_Euphmeister

Post by ttf_Euphmeister »

I'm in process of dealing with DE to try a LTI cup and I9 shank for euphonium. I played a Wick 4AL on both trombone and euphonium for many years. It gave me strong, big sound that I wanted, but as the years went on it became a lot of work to play. If you're not completely wedded to the idea of playing the same rim on trombone and euphonium, give the Ultra series a try. I found the switch from 4AL to SM4 was not that different. I've recently been performing on a SM5 Ultra that I really like. To my ears there is be warmth in the sound and clarity in the upper register that I could never get with the 4AL or SM4. When I added alto into the mix this fall I came to the realization that I'm at the stage where I can't keep switching mouthpieces. I'm going to see if I can find  a modular set-up for my .547 trombone and my euph. The next step would be something smaller that works for the 3B and the alto.

Return to “Mouthpieces”