1.060" mouthpiece comparson - Alessi vs.Bousfield

ttf_harrison.t.reed

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

Is anyone who plays this size mouthpiece and has played both types able to comment on how similar the rim shapes are on these mouthpieces? It'd be nice to know how if the bousfield us similar or if the rim is wider (between inner/outer), if the bite is sharper, etc.

My Alessi 1C is great for ensemble playing, teaching, and playing solo music. Was looking for a possible change for BQ, maybe something a little more flexible, but not a huge change. The 1A doesn't cut it.
ttf_trombonemetal

Post by ttf_trombonemetal »

The bousfield pieces have a very different rim shape. The inner edge is much sharper, and the rim narrower. They play totally differently than the Alessi pieces. The V3 feels like a 7C cup with a very large diameter. O3 feels more like a normal piece but still very different than the alessis. They both produced a unique sound that didn’t blend well with other trombones. I’ve only played Lindberg’s alto mouthpieces, but the bousfield ones reminded me of those in terms of feel. The sound was too compact for me without the complexity and width of sound the Alessi pieces get. I played the V3 and O3 for about a week each and decided they weren’t for me. The O3 might work for quintet but I didn’t try it.
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

Thanks man! I used to play the 2CL -- wished it was bigger.

Now you got me thinking. ....
ttf_trombonemetal

I’d say start with the O3. The V is a very strange mouthpiece.
ttf_trombonemetal

I’d say start with the O3. The V is a very strange mouthpiece.

Return to “Mouthpieces”