Odd mpc experience

ttf_Ellrod

Odd mpc experience

Post by ttf_Ellrod »

I recently acquired a Greg Black 5G. Usually, a new mpc is subtly different. It might take some practice time and maybe a few rehearsals to appreciate the differences.

The G Black, on the other hand, just did not work at all. It's not the size because I've been playing a DE LT 102 rim and I've since gone back to Schilke 51, with good results. I just couldn't generate any sort of sound on the Black at all, even after a few days working with it. I picked the Schilke up in my way to rehearsal and enjoyed playing 3rd chair in a big band rehearsal. I'll be taking the Schilke to orchestra tomorrow night.

Odd.

ttf_Matt K

Odd mpc experience

Post by ttf_Matt K »

May have been altered at some point.  People love opening up the backbore thinking it'll make the piece more 'open'. It does not always turn out that way !
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Odd mpc experience

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

Have you played Greg Black mouthpieces before? They are pretty different from the mouthpieces they are named after, especially in their weight and backbore.
ttf_Ellrod

Odd mpc experience

Post by ttf_Ellrod »

Yes, I have, with more or less similar results. Obviously, for whatever reason, Greg Black and I just don't get along.

New condition too.

Anyway, the Schilke seems to be my latest "last mouthpiece I'll ever need".
ttf_Posaunus

Odd mpc experience

Post by ttf_Posaunus »

Hard to criticize the Schilke 51 - it's a fine mouthpiece.  Have you tried the "new, improved" version, the Schilke D5.1 "Symphony" (similar, but slightly larger throat, modified backbore, etc.)?   

A few somewhat similar mouthpieces:
• Yamaha "Peter Sullivan" signature model
• Giddings & Webster "Boreas" 
ttf_Ellrod

Odd mpc experience

Post by ttf_Ellrod »

About a year ago, I did a Pepsi-challenge involving a half dozen 5G-sized mpcs, including the D5.1.

I found it surprisingly easy to tell which was which, even blindfolded. I liked the S51 the best. Over the following year, I felt the Schilke was a bit too dark, and looked at a couple of other mpcs. But I'm beginning to think that might be one of the compromises one makes. It otherwise suits me well, I think.
ttf_Ellrod

Odd mpc experience

Post by ttf_Ellrod »

About a year ago, I did a Pepsi-challenge involving a half dozen 5G-sized mpcs, including the D5.1.

I found it surprisingly easy to tell which was which, even blindfolded. I liked the S51 the best. Over the following year, I felt the Schilke was a bit too dark, and looked at a couple of other mpcs. But I'm beginning to think that might be one of the compromises one makes. It otherwise suits me well, I think.

Return to “Mouthpieces”