Is the Remington Small Shank the right one?

ttf_Bjroosevelt

Post by ttf_Bjroosevelt »

Hi,

Looking for some advice.  My school-aged son plays a Vintage Conn 88H with a Remington Mouthpiece at home and for solo performance.  For school he uses a King 608F (0.525) with a 6.5AL mouthpiece.  He recently indicated that he would like a mouthpiece with a less resistance for his horn at school.  (Christmas is coming and Grandma wants to get him a gift).

My first thought was to consider the Remington Small Shank for his school horn (to match the Remington on his Conn).  The problem with this mouthpiece, however, is that you can't exactly go down to the local music store and have him try it out.  Wanted to know your opinion if this mouthpiece is likely to fit the need?  Or if you have recommendations that would better fit his request.

Thank you,
ttf_Posaunus

Post by ttf_Posaunus »

Pretty hard to find a Remington small-shank piece.  (And to be honest, I never got along very well with the large-shank Remington that came with my 1972 88H.) 

In any case, the large-shank Remington has a cup only slightly larger than the 6½AL, a somewhat unusual shape, and a smaller throat (~6.15mm vs the 6½AL's 6.63mm) - so probably already creates more "resistance" than the 6½AL.  If he feels greater resistance, it's probably the trombone, not the mouthpiece. 

For freer blowing than the 6½AL on the 0.525" bore trombone, you might want to consider a mouthpiece with a somewhat larger-throat and maybe a bit larger cup.  Perhaps a Bach 5G or 5GB, a Denis Wick 5BS or 4BS, or a Giddings & Webster Kadja. 

In any case, the King 608F will never feel/sound quite like the 88H. 

Merry Christmas! 
ttf_Bjroosevelt

Post by ttf_Bjroosevelt »

Quote from: Posaunus on Oct 10, 2017, 09:25AMAnd to be honest, I never got along very well with the large-shank Remington that came with my 1972 88H.

For freer blowing than the 6½AL on the 0.525" bore trombone, you might want to consider a mouthpiece with a somewhat larger-throat and maybe a bit larger cup.  Perhaps a Bach 5G or 5GB, a Denis Wick 5BS or 4BS, or a Giddings & Webster Kadja. 

In any case, the King 608F will never feel/sound quite like the 88H. 

Thank you...
1) Fortunately, the Remington sings for my kid in his '69 88H.  (Though he will probably want to change one day).
2) Thanks for the tips on the other mouthpiece ideas.  I thought the Large Shank Remington had a rather small throat, which is partially what brought up my question.  You have confirmed my concern that the throat might be to small on the small shank Remington.
3) Yes, agreed. . Wouldn't be possible for the King 608F to sound or feel like the 88H.  On the other hand, the King can be heard out on the marching field and amongst the clarinet/saxophone squeaks / overtones.  It can get quite shrill out there!
ttf_jimkinkella

Post by ttf_jimkinkella »

I used to have a gold-plated small shank Remington, actually played it on a King 3b, lent it out to a student and never saw it again.
They're great mouthpieces, it's a completely different shape than a Bach, Schilke, or others.
As far as size of the different parts of the piece, it's a system, all of the parts work together to create what comes out of the end.
Sometimes a smaller throat is what you need, sometimes it's not.
A small shank Remington would be possibly the best Christmas present I could ever get, even if I didn't play it, I remember that mouthpiece fondly...

Doug Elliott (also here on the forum) makes a fantastic modular line of mouthpieces, you can pick out different rims, cups, and shanks.
He has a great trail / return policy, you can order something in the range you're looking for, or a couple bigger and smaller, and send back what you don't like.
He also does Skype lessons, that would be an a truly one of a kind present - and he could recommend mouthpieces to try after the lesson.
That would be my recommendation

If you want to try a full new modern thing, Noah at The Brassark makes a Bach Clarke replica.
It's not cheap, but it's a great mouthpiece, I picked one up for myself earlier this year.
It's like a 6-1/2 on steroids, slightly larger but different, I could never play a stock 6-1/2 without significant modifications.
But it's a totally personal thing, your son might hate it.

I'd say hook up with Doug for a Skype lesson, and be light years ahead of where most of us were back in school.

Jim

ttf_jimkinkella

Post by ttf_jimkinkella »

I used to have a gold-plated small shank Remington, actually played it on a King 3b, lent it out to a student and never saw it again.
They're great mouthpieces, it's a completely different shape than a Bach, Schilke, or others.
As far as size of the different parts of the piece, it's a system, all of the parts work together to create what comes out of the end.
Sometimes a smaller throat is what you need, sometimes it's not.
A small shank Remington would be possibly the best Christmas present I could ever get, even if I didn't play it, I remember that mouthpiece fondly...

Doug Elliott (also here on the forum) makes a fantastic modular line of mouthpieces, you can pick out different rims, cups, and shanks.
He has a great trail / return policy, you can order something in the range you're looking for, or a couple bigger and smaller, and send back what you don't like.
He also does Skype lessons, that would be an a truly one of a kind present - and he could recommend mouthpieces to try after the lesson.
That would be my recommendation

If you want to try a full new modern thing, Noah at The Brassark makes a Bach Clarke replica.
It's not cheap, but it's a great mouthpiece, I picked one up for myself earlier this year.
It's like a 6-1/2 on steroids, slightly larger but different, I could never play a stock 6-1/2 without significant modifications.
But it's a totally personal thing, your son might hate it.

I'd say hook up with Doug for a Skype lesson, and be light years ahead of where most of us were back in school.

Jim

Return to “Mouthpieces”