Greg Black equivalent

ttf_robinsjanis

Greg Black equivalent

Post by ttf_robinsjanis »

Hello!
I'm looking for Greg Black equivalent of Schilke Symphony M5.1
I'm actually confused of all those options and variations available.
ttf_Gabe Langfur

Greg Black equivalent

Post by ttf_Gabe Langfur »

5G
ttf_pedrombon

Greg Black equivalent

Post by ttf_pedrombon »

I think GB 5G is deeper than M.51 (M.51 is shallower than standard 51), so I think 5GS or 5GSD are closer.
ttf_Matt K

Greg Black equivalent

Post by ttf_Matt K »

Just curious, why do you want an 'equivalent'? There might be another option that would work for you. (E.g. Doug has a  LT S51D, which is a copy of the Schilke 51D rim, for those who prefer that rim shape).
ttf_rwallace7

Greg Black equivalent

Post by ttf_rwallace7 »

You might try a Hammond 12M large shank, or even the ML cup.
ttf_robinsjanis

Greg Black equivalent

I'm currently testing Greg Black Alessi 3m. It's an interesting beast. It's larger than Schilke Symphony I used to play, but the high register.is easy, it takes as much air as I want, the problem is rim diameter, because on the high register I tend to put the mouthpiece lower and push the instrument into my face a little bit more, as a result, I feel that this mouthpiece may not be the right size for me. I will posty thought again next week, when I don't have to play alto, maybe it's because of the strange Conn alto mouthpiece.
ttf_Matt K

Greg Black equivalent

Post by ttf_Matt K »

Quote from: robinsjanis on Oct 25, 2017, 10:07AMI'm currently testing Greg Black Alessi 3m. It's an interesting beast. It's larger than Schilke Symphony I used to play, but the high register.is easy, it takes as much air as I want, the problem is rim diameter, because on the high register I tend to put the mouthpiece lower and push the instrument into my face a little bit more, as a result, I feel that this mouthpiece may not be the right size for me. I will posty thought again next week, when I don't have to play alto, maybe it's because of the strange Conn alto mouthpiece.

Well, for some of us the high register is easy on that rim size. I find that a lot of times I'll go into a project or change thinking I like everything about something except "X" but then it turns out "X" was the reason I liked the other stuff in the first place. There are no solutions, only compromises!
ttf_robinsjanis

Greg Black equivalent

Quote from: Matt K on Oct 25, 2017, 10:45AMWell, for some of us the high register is easy on that rim size. I find that a lot of times I'll go into a project or change thinking I like everything about something except "X" but then it turns out "X" was the reason I liked the other stuff in the first place. There are no solutions, only compromises!
Well said!
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Greg Black equivalent

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

If you are shifting to play the upper register, don't do that. The muscles and your tongue will shift, and the angle of the mouthpiece might change, but physically moving the entire horn lower to get the upper register out is indicative of two things:

1. You have a bad habit that helped you with the upper register in the past, and now that's the way you play.

2.  You are playing the wrong size rim.

I used to shift downward like you do for the upper register. I forced myself to stop doing that and lost the top of my range. As soon as I made a pretty drastic shift to a much larger rim, not only did my range come back, but any shifting actually felt wrong and made playing impossible.
ttf_robinsjanis

Greg Black equivalent

Quote from: harrison.t.reed on Oct 27, 2017, 07:13AMIf you are shifting to play the upper register, don't do that. The muscles and your tongue will shift, and the angle of the mouthpiece might change, but physically moving the entire horn lower to get the upper register out is indicative of two things:

1. You have a bad habit that helped you with the upper register in the past, and now that's the way you play.

2.  You are playing the wrong size rim.

I used to shift downward like you do for the upper register. I forced myself to stop doing that and lost the top of my range. As soon as I made a pretty drastic shift to a much larger rim, not only did my range come back, but any shifting actually felt wrong and made playing impossible.
No, it's not like that.
I maybe said something, that could not be understandable corectly, but I play alto with 6 1/2 size mouthpiece and used 5g-ish size mpc on tenor. I can easily play all notes, doesn't matter where my mpc is, as it's in centre. If I had a problem, then.my teacher would notice that.
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Greg Black equivalent

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

Quote from: robinsjanis on Oct 25, 2017, 10:07AMThe problem is rim diameter, because on the high register I tend to put the mouthpiece lower and push the instrument into my face a little bit more, as a result, I feel that this mouthpiece may not be the right size for me. I will posty thought again next week, when I don't have to play alto, maybe it's because of the strange Conn alto mouthpiece.

Why do you think you need to shift for the upper register then? It's not an ideal practice.

Also, why do you think you need a different sized rim?

If you meant that you're only needing to shift with the 3M, then yes, I agree. The rim size is wrong
ttf_robinsjanis

Greg Black equivalent

Quote from: harrison.t.reed on Oct 27, 2017, 02:35PMWhy do you think you need to shift for the upper register then? It's not an ideal practice.

If you meant that you're only needing to shift with the 3M, then yes, I agree. The rim size is wrong
It was at the beggining, now my embouchure has adjusted to it. Bigger rims need a bit more muscle power from embouchure.
I need a slightly bigger and deeper mpc because with Schilke I have to force some notes, so they respond. Now, with this Greg Black piece it is much better. All registers feel free anduch better centred. All registers also have consistent timbre with the Greg Black.
ttf_robinsjanis

Greg Black equivalent

Quote from: harrison.t.reed on Oct 27, 2017, 02:35PMWhy do you think you need to shift for the upper register then? It's not an ideal practice.

It was at the beggining, now my embouchure has adjusted to it. Bigger rims need a bit more muscle power from embouchure.
I need a slightly bigger and deeper mpc because with Schilke I have to force some notes, so they respond. Now, with this Greg Black piece it is much better. All registers feel free anduch better centred. All registers also have consistent timbre with the Greg Black.

Return to “Mouthpieces”