How many horns do you own?

ttf_BillO

Post by ttf_BillO »

How many horns do I own?  Well, there is 8 of them.  However there a lack of agreement on the sufficiency.

My Wife:  "That's way too many!"

Me: "I need an alto and a contrabass, and ..."
ttf_SKAzz

Post by ttf_SKAzz »

hah. after moving to NYC where space is less than adequate, it became time to cash in several items.
traded in: '65 Olds Super, Vintage King 2B, King 2B Jiggs

Daily Driver is now a Rath R1. (nickel tuning, yellow brushed bell, yellow neck, nickel slide, focused leadpipe)

Symphonic is a Conn 88H from the 70s.  Let's be honest, it's just an "in case of" horn at this point.  Cleaned monthly.  Played monthly at home just to make sure its not rotting away.

ttf_tbathras

Post by ttf_tbathras »

Quote from: BillO on Jan 16, 2018, 06:29AMHow many horns do I own?  Well, there is 8 of them.  However there a lack of agreement on the sufficiency.

My Wife:  "That's way too many!"

Me: "I need an alto and a contrabass, and ..."

I'm right there with you, except I only have 3 and want a contra.

I caught wind that Wessex will have a new totally redesigned contra out around May...
ttf_daveyboy37

Post by ttf_daveyboy37 »

Still the same 7! I've been good. Keeping them all in good working order is something that I always worry about, and less horns means less to worry about.

Currently thinking about whether to have an olsen valve stuck on my Bach 42T or not. I like it the way it is, I just know that eventually the original thayer is going to go.
ttf_Driving Park

Post by ttf_Driving Park »

Quote from: BGuttman on Jan 15, 2018, 05:20PMYou mean increase it by 2 (to an 8D)?

Maybe. Image I do like that large bore Kruspe sound and feel. Looking at all kinds of different things though.
ttf_MikeBMiller

Post by ttf_MikeBMiller »

You guys are making me feel inadequate. I only have 5 trombones:

Bach 36BO (main axe)
King 3B
King 3B/F
Conn 6H (currently off for a slide re-build)
Rath R 4 bell with R3 slide.

Willson 2704 Euph that I haven't played in a year and a half.

Crappy $40 craigslist trumpet
Old Special trumpet

I am just experimenting with the trumpet thing. It may be temporary if I can't figure out the chops.

ttf_JohnL

Post by ttf_JohnL »

Quote from: Driving Park on Jan 16, 2018, 08:17AMMaybe. Image I do like that large bore Kruspe sound and feel. Looking at all kinds of different things though.If you really like that big, "Hollywood" horn sound and feel, look around for a King Eroica to try out. It's a George McCracken design; pretty much "8D only more so".

If you're on a tight budget, take a look at the Briz horns from China. Last I heard, they were building Paxman's student and intermediate lines.
ttf_JohnL

Post by ttf_JohnL »

Quote from: Driving Park on Jan 16, 2018, 08:17AMMaybe. Image I do like that large bore Kruspe sound and feel. Looking at all kinds of different things though.If you really like that big, "Hollywood" horn sound and feel, look around for a King Eroica to try out. It's a George McCracken design; pretty much "8D only more so".

If you're on a tight budget, take a look at the Briz horns from China. Last I heard, they were building Paxman's student and intermediate lines.

Return to “Instruments”