24H Conn

ttf_anonymous

24H Conn

Post by ttf_anonymous »

A friend just came in the shop with a 24H Conn, serial # puts it about 1933 vintage.  Some plating loss on lower stocking, #'s match, slide and bell section.  Bow is in good shape on slide.  Tuning slide is dented, although doesn't appear to be beyond repair, and a few minor dents in the bell section.  Guessing that the horn is silver plate with brass showing on inside of bell.  Friend is curious about value.

Thanks!

Ray
ttf_DaveAshley

24H Conn

Post by ttf_DaveAshley »

Probably between $250 and $400. I'd guess right in the middle.
ttf_anonymous

24H Conn

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Thanks for the quick reply, Dave!  Also might mention, it does have a counterweight, and what may be an added brace fitted very neatly between upper and lower cork barrels.  Also in original case.
ttf_hyperbolica

24H Conn

Post by ttf_hyperbolica »

Someone else recently asked this question on the same model. I think the consensus was around $500 for a nice one. Several factors make this horn different from modern horns, like the overall weight/metal thickness (its heavy), the bell diameter (its small), and the bore (its small). I've got one for sale for more than that because compared to other models I have, I think this one plays and looks great, in addition to being a collector piece. Plus, I'm not really excited about giving it away. In the end, it's worth what someone will pay for it.

It's kind of like you see all these NY Bach 6 s for sale for $2000, but rarely do they actually sell for much over $1000. Sometimes its just better to hold on to those horns that the market habitually undervalues.
ttf_hyperbolica

24H Conn

Post by ttf_hyperbolica »

Someone else recently asked this question on the same model. I think the consensus was around $500 for a nice one. Several factors make this horn different from modern horns, like the overall weight/metal thickness (its heavy), the bell diameter (its small), and the bore (its small). I've got one for sale for more than that because compared to other models I have, I think this one plays and looks great, in addition to being a collector piece. Plus, I'm not really excited about giving it away. In the end, it's worth what someone will pay for it.

It's kind of like you see all these NY Bach 6 s for sale for $2000, but rarely do they actually sell for much over $1000. Sometimes its just better to hold on to those horns that the market habitually undervalues.

Return to “Instruments”