one aspect  of   one  piece  bell  is  that  the same  gauge  is used  thruout
-----------------------
 there  was a  long  detailed  connversation   w a spinner 
 and  22ga was   usually   it   for  a one  piece
---------------------------------------------------
ttf_BGuttman

STERLING BELL //SCREW BELL QUESTIONS

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

A screw bell has a collar that adds some mass.  This changes the sound.  I can't say whether it's better or worse, but some have had the equivalent of a screw bell ring fitted to their bells; probably to aid projection.  One of our Techs might be able to describe better.
ttf_Whitbey

Post by ttf_Whitbey »

I have an Edwards sterling silver bell. Clank the bell and it has a real long lasting deep ring. Play it and you get great overtones from the very low up.Hold the bell while you play and it goes dead unlike a brass bell that sounds like you are holding it.
Not to sure I would want to cut a sterling silver bell.
ttf_boneagain

Post by ttf_boneagain »

Quote from: Whitbey on Jan 14, 2018, 11:45AMI have an Edwards sterling silver bell. Clank the bell and it has a real long lasting deep ring. Play it and you get great overtones from the very low up.Hold the bell while you play and it goes dead unlike a brass bell that sounds like you are holding it.

Might it depend on the bell?  Alan Raph had his Duo Gravis SilverSonic cut so air travel would be easier. You can hear it in his Youtube videos.  I think he used it on many of his Quincy Jones dates.  All sounds pretty good to me.

Side note on my Silver Sonic:  I REALLY dread gigs where the pitch lowers to the point where E is in tune with my bell resonance.  The horn vibrates like mad in my hands, and I have to work my tail off to make the note heard in the room (horn is eating up all the energy.)  Sure makes a pretty "ping" on that note, though Image
ttf_boneagain

Post by ttf_boneagain »

Quote from: Whitbey on Jan 14, 2018, 11:45AMI have an Edwards sterling silver bell. Clank the bell and it has a real long lasting deep ring. Play it and you get great overtones from the very low up.Hold the bell while you play and it goes dead unlike a brass bell that sounds like you are holding it.

Might it depend on the bell?  Alan Raph had his Duo Gravis SilverSonic cut so air travel would be easier. You can hear it in his Youtube videos.  I think he used it on many of his Quincy Jones dates.  All sounds pretty good to me.

Side note on my Silver Sonic:  I REALLY dread gigs where the pitch lowers to the point where E is in tune with my bell resonance.  The horn vibrates like mad in my hands, and I have to work my tail off to make the note heard in the room (horn is eating up all the energy.)  Sure makes a pretty "ping" on that note, though Image

Return to “Instruments”