Rath Nickel Tuning Slides

ttf_Duffle

Post by ttf_Duffle »

Just wondering if anyone plays a nickel tuning slide with their Rath - how does it play, feel, respond and sound compared to a yellow or gold slide ?.....
ttf_blast

Post by ttf_blast »

Yup.... in the R8. All NS horn. Works fine. Change anything and it is not so good. Parts make a whole.  You really have to build the whole and not try to isolate characteristics... and that is tough.

Chris Stearn.
ttf_bonesmarsh

Post by ttf_bonesmarsh »

Partially off topic--

The most expensive vintage Olds gear always had nickle silver tuning slides, and complete NS parts, except for the bells in some cases.
Recording-- red bell and otherwise NS
Super- red bell and otherwise NS
Opera-- 100% nickle silver

No way to compare with anything else. It DOES make a huge difference, but it is a slippery slope, no two players have the same description or experience on nickle silver gear.
ttf_Chris Fidler

Post by ttf_Chris Fidler »

I have a Nickel tuning slide on my Rath R12. I found it the best match with my un-lacquered 650 lighter weight red brass bell.

It pointed up articulation particularly in the high register and gave a bit more body to the sound.

I personally think that on the smaller bore Rath's they are the best choice with the red brass bells!!!

Hope this helps,
Cheers,
Chris.
ttf_Whitbey

Post by ttf_Whitbey »

I think nickle will help give the bright colors to the sound and sterling silver gives color to the low overtones. I have a sterling silver bell with a nickle slide that does just that. I would think a nickle tune slide does the same as a nickle slide except maybe it would have a bit more impact.
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

In my experience, a little bit of nickel can make a horn "darker" depending on what you're defining as brightness and darkness, etc.  I've experimented with some nickel parts in the past although currently I only have horns with nickel slide crooks.  However, when I say "darker", I don't necessarily mean that it changes the sound but rather the ease of articulations.  When the articulations become easier, I have more focus in the sound and a wider timbral palette. Ergo, when I want to sound darker, a little extra nickel on some component can make it easier for me to provide that color. 

I can't definitively say that the slide crook is the most effective way to do that, but its likely the most common part that has nickel on it. Certainly if a horn doeosn't have it as a stock option, there are modestly inexpensive aftermarket options for it, relative to having a custom tuning slide made if you don't... and then you don't have the confounding variable of the taper being different in the tuning slide too. 

ttf_SKAzz

Post by ttf_SKAzz »

I use a nickel tuning slide on my R1 with a yellow bell.  i find it gives me more punch and core to the sound than the yellow or rose tuning slides.   this could be placebo effect, heck, it all could be. hahaahah.

but it all changes depending on your lead pipe, neck pipe, bell...etc. 

ttf_brucolli

Post by ttf_brucolli »

Of all of the Rath tuning slides, I like the nickel the least. It has too much resistance for me, something I don't find in the nickel hand slide, which is more open than the bronze slide. My favorite tuning slide is the red brass, followed by the yellow brass. I didn't really care for the gold brass. This, of course, has a lot to do with the set up.

The red brass tuning slide is magic with a red brass bell/nickel slide. But a bronze slide/red brass bell works better for me with a yellow tuning slide. The resistance of the nickel ruins it for me.

I think a nickel tuning slide would work better in a smaller bore instrument where you want'd want more punch.

ttf_blast

Post by ttf_blast »

Quote from: brucolli on Yesterday at 08:55 AMOf all of the Rath tuning slides, I like the nickel the least. It has too much resistance for me, something I don't find in the nickel hand slide, which is more open than the bronze slide. My favorite tuning slide is the red brass, followed by the yellow brass. I didn't really care for the gold brass. This, of course, has a lot to do with the set up.

The red brass tuning slide is magic with a red brass bell/nickel slide. But a bronze slide/red brass bell works better for me with a yellow tuning slide. The resistance of the nickel ruins it for me.

I think a nickel tuning slide would work better in a smaller bore instrument where you want'd want more punch.

Funny,on bass the NS is the free blowing one. All NS is like the Olds Opera used to be... clear but heavy... not the best for actual Opera, but I suppose it was just a name. Put a NS tuning slide with a copper bell and yellow slide and it is a mess... at least to me. Materials are not the simple trade off that some people think. I think that may account for the emergence of artist models from some modular makers... it can be good to pick more musical brains to get a steup that works.

Chris Stearn
ttf_bonesmarsh

Post by ttf_bonesmarsh »

All good points, Chris.

In an incredible stroke of luck I now have a primo vintage Opera.If it does work at all--and I'm still trying to decide if it does-- it is because the whole thing vibrates together at the same rate. Throw different alloys into the mix and it just disconnects the various parts. The bell isn't connected to the slide  if it isn't connected by 100% all nickle parts,

Certainly, Chris, FE Olds had access to the greatest minds of the Los Angeles recording studios for generations. I'd look into what Olds was up to-- and why-- to get some hard info about what the reasons for mixing so much nickle silver into some mixes was for.
ttf_brucolli

Post by ttf_brucolli »

Quote from: blast on Yesterday at 03:42 PMFunny,on bass the NS is the free blowing one. All NS is like the Olds Opera used to be... clear but heavy... not the best for actual Opera, but I suppose it was just a name. Put a NS tuning slide with a copper bell and yellow slide and it is a mess... at least to me. Materials are not the simple trade off that some people think. I think that may account for the emergence of artist models from some modular makers... it can be good to pick more musical brains to get a setup that works.

Chris Stearn

Interesting that you say that. My NS tuning slide has ended up in my double valve/double bell R4. This is a small bore bass trombone (Bb/F/Gb with the Gb valve going to the second bell, when attached) and I don't find the resistance to be a problem here.
Maybe resistance is the wrong word but I don't know how to describe otherwise. In any case the NS feels weird to me in most of my setups. No so in the small bass.

ttf_blast

Post by ttf_blast »

Quote from: brucolli on Today at 04:27 AMInteresting that you say that. My NS tuning slide has ended up in my double valve/double bell R4. This is a small bore bass trombone (Bb/F/Gb with the Gb valve going to the second bell, when attached) and I don't find the resistance to be a problem here.
Maybe resistance is the wrong word but I don't know how to describe otherwise. In any case the NS feels weird to me in most of my setups. No so in the small bass.

Yup  NS feels weird in pretty much all my setups except the all NS horn.
 Chris Stearn
ttf_blast

Post by ttf_blast »

Quote from: brucolli on Today at 04:27 AMInteresting that you say that. My NS tuning slide has ended up in my double valve/double bell R4. This is a small bore bass trombone (Bb/F/Gb with the Gb valve going to the second bell, when attached) and I don't find the resistance to be a problem here.

Yup  NS feels weird in pretty much all my setups except the all NS horn.
 Chris Stearn

Return to “Instruments”