Pbone vs Yamaha YSL 354

ttf_trejp

Pbone vs Yamaha YSL 354

Post by ttf_trejp »

Hi everyone,

I play the bass trombone, a Conn 62H but recently I have been enjoying playing tenor trombone in a big band/jazz setting. I still have my old Yamaha YSL 354 that I started learning on, but I'm wondering whether a Pbone might be better than this to learn to play jazz/improvise on? I'm not too clued up on different brands/models of trombones (my music school sourced my instruments and sold them to me) so I apologise if this is a stupid question.
ttf_JohnL

Pbone vs Yamaha YSL 354

Post by ttf_JohnL »

I think I speak for almost everyone here when I say:
"Go with the Yamaha."
ttf_Baker

Pbone vs Yamaha YSL 354

Post by ttf_Baker »

354 forever  Image
ttf_BGuttman

Pbone vs Yamaha YSL 354

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

The pBone is a novelty.  A good brass trombone is to be preferred.  In fact, the Yamaha 354 is good enough for a pro to play.
ttf_Doug Elliott

Pbone vs Yamaha YSL 354

Post by ttf_Doug Elliott »

People are still actively using Bachs, Conns, Kings, etc. from 100 years ago, and they are still in demand.
I still occasionally use a YSL354 that's probably at least 30 years old.

How long do you think a pBone will last?
ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist

Pbone vs Yamaha YSL 354

Post by ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist »

I have a newer 354 and I could easily get rid of all my smallbores and use it for my needs. With how well it’s held up and how well they hold up to marching band and kids starting out I say the merits for the Yamaha almost make it a given to choose over most any budget horn.
ttf_JohnL

Pbone vs Yamaha YSL 354

Post by ttf_JohnL »

Quote from: Doug Elliott on Dec 06, 2017, 10:05AMHow long do you think a pBone will last?
I expect most of them will last quite a while. After all, they're not being used... Image
ttf_davdud101

Pbone vs Yamaha YSL 354

Post by ttf_davdud101 »

I love my 354, primary axe... even went to the trouble of adding a 40 year old silver 354s bell onto the slide. Great horn... pBones never felt right to me either.
ttf_BillO

Pbone vs Yamaha YSL 354

Post by ttf_BillO »

The YSL-354 is the better instrument - by far.

The pBone is not even the best of the plastic instruments.

If you 354 needs a little attention then that is a better use of money than buying a pBone.
ttf_oslide

Pbone vs Yamaha YSL 354

Post by ttf_oslide »

Quote from: BillO on Dec 06, 2017, 01:31PMThe YSL-354 is the better instrument - by far.

Quote from: BillO on Dec 06, 2017, 01:31PMIf you 354 needs a little attention then that is a better use of money than buying a pBone.

I got both - the pBone is only better when you have to put the horn on a table full of beer mugs. But apart from that it's definitely the 354.
ttf_FlamingRain

Pbone vs Yamaha YSL 354

Post by ttf_FlamingRain »

YSL-354's are good enough to play professional gigs with, if you're a good player.

My roommate has a pBone which he brings to every ITF to collect signatures of his favorite trombone players on. I don't think he's ever actually played it.

ttf_Torobone

Pbone vs Yamaha YSL 354

Post by ttf_Torobone »

I bought a pBone as a novelty and I loaned it to my grandson. He quickly broke it in an undisclosed, irreparable way. He was having perception issues following a severe medical issue, and pBone was not the only unintentional casualty made of plastic.

I was offered another pBone for free from someone on trombone-l, but I politely declined and bought a pristine used 354. It is a quality instrument. I may get it back one day to use it as a backup, because it plays very well.
ttf_timothy42b

Pbone vs Yamaha YSL 354

Post by ttf_timothy42b »

I am a pBone fan.  I have both tenor and alto versions.  They have their place - IMO that place is as a travel horn or in a high likelihood of damage setting, or when injury is limiting how much weight you can handle. 

For your purpose I would definitely go the Yamaha.  If the slide isn't perfect, spend the cost of a pBone on a good tech going over it. 

That said, a lot of 354s were marching band horns, and the slide is tweaked beyond what a repair tech can fix.  That was true of mine, when the tech gave up I sold it for a fraction of what I paid for it. 
ttf_timothy42b

Pbone vs Yamaha YSL 354

Post by ttf_timothy42b »

I am a pBone fan.  I have both tenor and alto versions.  They have their place - IMO that place is as a travel horn or in a high likelihood of damage setting, or when injury is limiting how much weight you can handle. 

For your purpose I would definitely go the Yamaha.  If the slide isn't perfect, spend the cost of a pBone on a good tech going over it. 

That said, a lot of 354s were marching band horns, and the slide is tweaked beyond what a repair tech can fix.  That was true of mine, when the tech gave up I sold it for a fraction of what I paid for it. 

Return to “Instruments”