Are all Olds Supers top heavy?

ttf_Hammer

Post by ttf_Hammer »

I have this Olds Super that I love and plays great, especially since I finally the perfect mouthpiece, an Olds 1, that is great for me and actually fits correctly in the leadpipe. However, this bone is very top heavy. I find that I have to always adjust to have more support in my right arm when playing. Of course, after a long rehearsal with it, I get used to the weight, but after picking it back up the next day, it just feels heavy again. Does anybody else have this issue with their Olds Supers, or is it just me? Would a counterweight help and/or does any counterweight fit onto an Olds Super (the brace looks fairly small to me when compared to other bones)? Or should I just suck it up and beef up my right arm?
ttf_TriJim

Post by ttf_TriJim »

My late 60s Olds Super is 'slide heavy' if this is what you mean.  Never had a counterweight and I got used to playing it as is.  The Bach Artisan is heavier (of course), but better balanced. 

My Super has always had a resonant 'buzz' that is more pronounced with the standard Olds 3 mouthpiece; sounds better (for me) with a Bach 6 1/2 SS.  I played another Super at ATW last year which sounded better than mine.  I had the slide reworked and horn re-lacquered without much change in tone.  Glad yours plays well.     
ttf_Arrowhead99

Post by ttf_Arrowhead99 »

Some of them are top heavy, yes. I use a counterweight from an Olds Studio- you can easily unscrew and place it on a Super.
I noticed that some of the Fullerton versions are slightly lighter in weight and don't necessarily need a counterweight. I'm going to guess that you have an L.A. version?
ttf_schlitzbeer

Post by ttf_schlitzbeer »

Quote from: Hammer on Aug 02, 2017, 09:03AM Or should I just suck it up and beef up my right arm?

No, don’t risk any repetitive stress injury. I had a CT release on my left years ago. Try a counterweight, handgrip, thumbrest, or anything to improve your situation. Sucking it up just hurts later on in life.
ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist

Post by ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist »

All of the ones I've played have been. An old friction fit one was lighter over all, but still had a similar balance point.
ttf_bonesmarsh

Post by ttf_bonesmarsh »

the whole family of Super/Recording etc. heavy red belled Olds horns are heavy like that, especially the 8 1/2" F attachment models.

Buy one-- or two-- generic counterweights for $25 each from hickeys.com and go to the hardware store to buy longer screws for the weights. An extra 1" or more on the weight will let it go around the funky thick brace.

Two weights might be necessary, but you'll be glad you have two for jazz work with mutes in the works.
ttf_Euphanasia

Post by ttf_Euphanasia »

I've got a nickel-plated Olds reproduction counterweight that would look good on it. It's offset, and it looks close to what Olds sold for those horns. If you're interested, $125 shipped.

Also those repro weights are really beautiful

As you can see by my profile pic I had mine modified. Clever and artful ( in my opinion) and changes the hand placement just enough to where it's supported perfectly in my hand. I don't plan on selling this horn ever so it's fine if it doesn't work the same for anyone else who's held it. Other things have been done, but the brace is the noticeable one. It's only really nose heavy with my Jo Ral cup in.
ttf_Hammer

Post by ttf_Hammer »

Glad to know that this nose-heavy thing is relatively normal. Yes Arrowhead99, it is an L.A. model. Didn't know the Fullerton ones were slightly lighter. My Olds Studio is a Fullerton and is so light, and no counterweight is needed. And, Euphansia, I might hit you up later on that counterweight offer. Thanks for the replies peeps!
ttf_schlitzbeer

Post by ttf_schlitzbeer »

Quote from: Euphanasia on Aug 02, 2017, 04:20PMI've got a nickel-plated Olds reproduction counterweight that would look good on it. It's offset, and it looks close to what Olds sold for those horns. If you're interested, $125 shipped.

I suppose you might have counterweights for other Olds models too?
ttf_Euphanasia

Post by ttf_Euphanasia »

I had 12 cast by a brass foundry and I'm down to two that I'm taking off of my own personal horns. One is nickel plated and the other is in yellow brass. I do have several of the soldered-on Ambassador weights. I think they're a good compromise.
ttf_Euphanasia

Post by ttf_Euphanasia »

I had 12 cast by a brass foundry and I'm down to two that I'm taking off of my own personal horns. One is nickel plated and the other is in yellow brass. I do have several of the soldered-on Ambassador weights. I think they're a good compromise.

Return to “Instruments”