You can keep the cat

ttf_robcat2075

You can keep the cat

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

Having A Cat Does Not Cause Mental Illness, New Study Suggests

Not studied: does mental illness cause cat-owning.
ttf_BillO

You can keep the cat

Post by ttf_BillO »

I'm a dog guy.  I guess I'm just needy enough to want a pet that can actually commiserate when I'm feeling down.  A cat will just walk away.  A dog will be with you through thick or thin.

I'm also deathly allergic to cats.  5 minutes in a cat's house (not a cat house, let's be clear) and I'm sneezing uncontrollably, 20 minutes and I'll have a bronchial asthma attack that will last a month, 30 minutes and I might not recover.

But still, cats suck at being friends.
ttf_robcat2075

You can keep the cat

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

My cat loves to sit on my lap but I'm not sneezing and hacking all over it either.
ttf_gregs70

You can keep the cat

Post by ttf_gregs70 »

Quote from: BillO on Feb 22, 2017, 07:16PMI'm a dog guy.  I guess I'm just needy enough to want a pet that can actually commiserate when I'm feeling down.  A cat will just walk away.  A dog will be with you through thick or thin.

I'm also deathly allergic to cats.  5 minutes in a cat's house (not a cat house, let's be clear) and I'm sneezing uncontrollably, 20 minutes and I'll have a bronchial asthma attack that will last a month, 30 minutes and I might not recover.

But still, cats suck at being friends.

We have three cats.  When we are sick, the cats jump on the bed with us and keep us company.  When we are having a bad day, they can tell and give us a few extra head bumps and crawl on our shoulders for some cuddle time.  All three have distinctive personalities and make us laugh every day.  Plus, a cat eats a lot less than a dog.  Bonus!
ttf_BillO

You can keep the cat

Post by ttf_BillO »

Quote from: gregs70 on Feb 22, 2017, 07:25PMWe have three cats.  When we are sick, the cats jump on the bed with us and keep us company.  When we are having a bad day, they can tell and give us a few extra head bumps and crawl on our shoulders for some cuddle time.  All three have distinctive personalities and make us laugh every day.  Plus, a cat eats a lot less than a dog.  Bonus!

Quote from: robcat2075 on Feb 22, 2017, 07:21PMMy cat loves to sit on my lap but I'm not sneezing and hacking all over it either.

Their not stupid.  They know where their food, and warmth, comes from.  But they are not dogs.

I used to live in the house next to my parents (long story).  My mom had an issue with her hips, was overweight and had trouble walking.  One Saturday in early spring some 20 years ago she was walking over to our house to see the grand kids and mislaid a foot on some ice.  She fell and could not get up (luckily she broke nothing).  Our dog at the time was a German Shepard/coyote cross - big and scary looking.  He went to her immediately then ran to get me.  I was working on a room we we making in the basement and in he comes barking at me like a demon.  I told him where to get off, but he persisted and began to bite into my trousers and pull me vigorously.  When I moved the way he pulled, toward the stairs, he let go and ran half way up the stairs and started barking at me again.  It took me about 3 minutes to figure out that he wanted me to follow him (I'm dense sometimes, especially when I'm focused on something), but I eventually made it out to the deck and saw him race off along the path to my parents house.  That's when I saw my mom.  Her cat was on her deck licking it's paws, or engaged in some other self involved activity, but my big, black scary (and much maligned - up to that point) dog secured the rescue.  This - I will never forget.

He lived to be 16 years old and was at the door to great me with unbridled enthusiasm every day of that 15+ years.  We got him at 6 moths old.

When he was younger, he was a bit of an athlete and could follow me as I rode my dirt bike through the woods.  Do cats do that?

We often went on day long walks together in the abundant woods around here, and if I felt I was lost (yup  Image it happened lots), all I'd have to say is 'Toller, where's the car?' (his name was Ptolemy, we called him 'Toller for short) and he would lead me back - every single time.  Do cats do that?

He loved to chase things.  To the point of annoyance, but he'd get that and back off.  But the strange thing is, he'd collect favorite sticks, and keep them around for the 'chasing' games.  Do cats do that?

I never really trained him, other than to go for long walks with him.  However, we had some ... connection.  I never, ever had to leash this big dog.  If I snapped my fingers, he would immediately stop what he was doing and sidle up to my left side.  There could be another dog walking past, a car or truck driving by, or a kid playing on the street.  It did not matter.  He kept his cool and took his place beside me.  I used to think where the heck did he get this from?  Do cats do that?

I dunno.  Not all the dogs I've brought home have been like Ptolemy.  However, the things my mom used to say about her cats were a little less impressive.  They threw up hairballs, they brought home dead birds, they scratched to cr*p out of the furniture and left the scratching posts in immaculate condition.  Stuff like that.

Ptolemy died 15 years ago.  I still think of him every day.  Do cats do that?

RIP my friend.

ttf_MrPillow

You can keep the cat

Post by ttf_MrPillow »

Not sure which is worse: cats, or dog people....
ttf_BillO

You can keep the cat

Post by ttf_BillO »

Oh, definitely dog people.  For some stupid reason we get attached.
ttf_slide advantage

You can keep the cat

Post by ttf_slide advantage »

Great timing this thread.

We have two cats which I tolerate. My wife loves them.

I am the one who has to sweep up spilled litter that accumulates outside their box....every day. I feel like a butler, not the master of my house.

So in order to improve the litter experience and maybe make it less work intensive, I bought a deeper box with a lid. The cats climb in through the hole in 'the roof'

No more spilled litter. But for the past week I keep smelling cat **** in the air. Yet I couldn't locate the source. While I was spraying some heavy duty air freshener I found it. One of the cats has decided that he will pee on the edge of some drapes that we have had hanging on a dining room chair. Soaked! Disgusting isn't strong enough of a word.

He is fine with doing his other business in the box. But not his peeing.

So I removed the lid of the box. My wife says he just feels uncomfortable with the lid on the box. Please. Image

Anyone want a cat? I have had it.
ttf_BillO

You can keep the cat

Post by ttf_BillO »

Quote from: slide advantage on Feb 22, 2017, 08:37PMAnyone want a cat? I have had it.
Pass.
ttf_jalapeno

You can keep the cat

Post by ttf_jalapeno »

http://m.imgur.com/gallery/ns5QW

I'm VERY allergic to some cats. Eyes, breathing, etc

My dog James is wizard

ttf_BGuttman

You can keep the cat

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

"Dogs have owners, cats have staff" (I wish I could remember where I heard this). Image

I used to be deathly allergic to cats and suddenly the allergy went away.  The cats loved me, but I could not take more than an hour or two of them.  Now I'm not allergic to cats and my wife is.  Fortunately, the two that she adopted have both passed on (aged 13 and 16, respectively).  We have always had dogs.  But the surviving cat was very affectionate while I was recovering from my quad tendon tear.  Of course the dog was even more attentive, trying to cure my knee with her tongue.

ttf_MikeBMiller

You can keep the cat

Post by ttf_MikeBMiller »

I have 2 of each and love them all madly.
ttf_TomBone4

You can keep the cat

Post by ttf_TomBone4 »

Cats will do three things:

Spend Your Money

Sit on your keyboard when trying to type

Make you sneeze
ttf_harrison.t.reed

You can keep the cat

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

ttf_BillO

You can keep the cat

Post by ttf_BillO »

See, you need 2 of them just to get 30lbs of meat.  Ptolemy was 110lbs of lean meat all in one package.  Image
ttf_robcat2075

You can keep the cat

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

I've had two dogs and two cats over the last 15 years. They each had different personalities and I enjoyed them all

The flea problem with the dogs was unsolvable however. Don't bother telling what you used. It was tried and it didn't work.

When the last dog died it was like being set free. I no longer had to plan everything around getting the dog walked twice a day. I could finally leave town for a day without having to find someone to walk and feed the dog.

They have old-age problems that cats don't seem to run into.

ttf_harrison.t.reed

You can keep the cat

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

Cats are so easy!

The trick is to not let them outside unless they are leashed, and not feed them unless they come begging. When they do you still don't put food in the bowls until they do tricks for you.

Within a few days, they'll know you are the boss and they'll be doing tricks twice a day for their meals.

The problem cats are the ones who have unlimited food out 24 hours a day. No reason to do what their owners want. My cats walk on a leash outside and play fetch around the house because I have become their leader.
ttf_robcat2075

You can keep the cat

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

Men seem to get masculinity issues when cats are mentioned.

About 15 years ago I had two female cats and didn't get them fixed in time.  Suddenly... two cats + eight kittens! All adorable but the ten cat catbox was too much for me.

I put a "Free Kittens!" ad in the newspaper.  "Self-cleaning, self-sharpening, warm in Winter!"

The phone rings off the hook.

Every time a man called, he had to volunteer that the cat was really for his wife, daughter, grandmother, girlfriend... some female, not for himself!

Even if I had already said that the last cat had sailed... he couldn't hang up before letting me know that he didn't want the cat for himself.

Without exception, every male caller did that.  Image

Having raised both cats and dogs I'd say you get out of them what you put into them. Socialize with them when they are young and they will stay social as they grow older.  Approach them with "I'm not a cat person" and you'll get a cat who's just not into you.

ttf_robcat2075

You can keep the cat

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

ttf_JohnL

You can keep the cat

Post by ttf_JohnL »

Sometimes you'll have a situation where someone declares themselves as "not a cat person" and a cat decides they're going to change that...

My wife's grandfather used to chase cats of his property all the time; just didn't want 'em around. Then this one cat came along that insisted on being friends. She'd come up to him when he was in the yard and just generally follow him around. Eventually she won him over and pretty much became "his" cat.
ttf_Pre59

You can keep the cat

Post by ttf_Pre59 »

My daughter came up to me one day and said "you wouldn't want me to have grown up without ever having a pet, would you?"

So we got this cat, a siamese/burmese cross kitten, and boy was it cross. It was like sharing a house wild a wild animal, it would just bite you from nowhere, and for no reason that we could discern. It was a beautiful animal, silver grey with clear blue eyes, but if we saw anyone bend over to pet it in the street we would always try to warn them, which most people chose to ignore...

In the end she had to go, and so we found a new home on a small farm run by some people that we would see from time to time around town. The next time our paths crossed they blanked us completely.

Her name was Blossom, the irony of that name was not lost on us.

I now have a Border Terrier, which is a compact working dog from the north east of England. She has a cheerful, "chipper" disposition and believes that her job is spread goodwill wherever she goes, but settles down like a cat at night. Because of this, I have a coterie of willing volunteers to dog sit for me.

It couldn't be better really. (Sigh...)
ttf_Max Croot

You can keep the cat

Post by ttf_Max Croot »

Hi Sadly I Had my cat euthanized yesterday. But  he used to drive me mad. He was 18 and he got cat dementia. I tolerate cats but he was my late partner's cat. She used to live on a farm and had about 40 cats. House cats. dairy cats, barn cats etc. When she left the farm and joined the navy, goodbye cats. So when we moved house we went down to a couple and finally just one. When she passed away i8 months ago of course I kept the cat. I couldn't move without him being there looking for Anna. when I was practising he would be right under my feet and sometimes I'd hit him with the slide, trod on him and would nearly fall over him. He was in the house at night with Anna, but I had to lock him out at night or he wouldn't let me sleep. He got very fussy with his food and cost a fortune in vet fees. He used to be called the million dollar cat and it cost more to feed him than it did me. I sorry to see him go as he was my link to Anna but I should be able to practice my Trombone with no fear of hitting him with my slide and be able to leave my horn on the stand without fear of it getting knocked over. Max
ttf_BillO

You can keep the cat

Post by ttf_BillO »

Quote from: robcat2075 on Feb 23, 2017, 07:50AMThe flea problem with the dogs was unsolvable however. Don't bother telling what you used. It was tried and it didn't work.
Ahhh, but did you try leaving the house for 3 weeks with the dog?

A good flea collar will kill them on the dog, but they actually live in your house, so as long as you keep feeding them, even a little they will persist.  They need to eat every day and the breading cycle is 10 days, or something like that.  About 30 years ago Ptolemy picked up a horrible infestation at a kennel we boarded him at one weekend and nothing we tried would work either.  We went on a 3 week vacation with kids an the dog.  A collar killed the fleas on the dog in a day or 2, but when we got back there were dead fleas all over the floor near where the dog slept.  No more flea problem.  He never picked them up again after that.
ttf_robcat2075

You can keep the cat

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

The flea pupa can remain dormant for up to six months. So sayeth the literature.

Even so, a three week departure with two dogs and two cats?

Burning the house down would be about as practical.
ttf_gregs70

You can keep the cat

Post by ttf_gregs70 »

I've had dogs, I've had cats.  I'll take either one.  I started into cats when I was single and traveled for work; a cat could be fine for a day or two by themselves but I would have had to get somebody to come over and let the dog out a few times a day.  I moved in with my mom for a year while building a house.  She said she didn't cats, but allowed me to bring my orange tom, Quincy.  When the house was finished and I moved out of her place, she wanted to keep him!
ttf_BillO

You can keep the cat

Post by ttf_BillO »

Quote from: robcat2075 on Feb 23, 2017, 05:42PMThe flea pupa can remain dormant for up to six months. So sayeth the literature.

Even so, a three week departure with two dogs and two cats?

Burning the house down would be about as practical.
Yeah, lucky I had only one dog.

Well something weed did over that 3 weeks worked, what can I tell you?

And I agree, dogs are a bit of a commitment.  We had Ptolemy while we had our kids, so we were pretty tied down anyway.  Now that we are fairly active empty nesters, we afford ourselves the 'luxury' of not having a pet at all.  But I can see a point in a few years where another dog would be nice.  My son lives just  minutes away and he has the most adorable little Shepard/Husky cross.  If I'm around I walk her every day, and we take her for the weekends to allow my son and his lady to enjoy some time together doing the things that the young do.

To tell the truth, I'd probably like cats better if I was not allergic.  It sucks having allergies.
ttf_Roebird37

You can keep the cat

Post by ttf_Roebird37 »

Until about 2 hours ago I'd have told you that I love my dog as much as life itself.

Then the little devil rolled around on a rotting dead fish.  It's the most revolting smell, and no amount of special shampoo will get rid of it.

I'm now offering him free to a good home!

Only joking, I still love him really, but he's not sitting on my knee again until he stops stinking.
ttf_robcat2075

You can keep the cat

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

Quote from: Roebird37 on Feb 25, 2017, 05:06AMUntil about 2 hours ago I'd have told you that I love my dog as much as life itself.

Then the little devil rolled around on a rotting dead fish.  It's the most revolting smell, and no amount of special shampoo will get rid of it...

I don't think there's such a thing as a bad smell to a dog. I had to put a chicken wire fence around the cat box to keep the dogs from eating out of it.
ttf_Roebird37

You can keep the cat

Post by ttf_Roebird37 »

Quote from: robcat2075 on Feb 25, 2017, 05:56AMI don't think there's such a thing as a bad smell to a dog. I had to put a chicken wire fence around the cat box to keep the dogs from eating out of it.

He's rolled in some pretty bad things in his time, but this had to be the absolute worst, and you're right that it didn't smell bad to him.  He was looking as pleased as punch, absolutely delighted with himself, and quite mystified that we didn't want to give him a cuddle.
ttf_Ellrod

You can keep the cat

Post by ttf_Ellrod »

Dogs vs. Wives.

Lock the dog in the garage for a few hours and he's happy to see you when you come back.
ttf_SilverBone

You can keep the cat

Post by ttf_SilverBone »

Quote from: Ellrod on Feb 26, 2017, 09:08AMDogs vs. Wives.

Lock the dog in the garage for a few hours and he's happy to see you when you come back.

Sounds like you're in need of Wife Obediance School.   Image
ttf_tbone62

You can keep the cat

Post by ttf_tbone62 »

We have two cats, Figaro and Lili, and we love them dearly. Both are playful and quite affectionate.  Figaro especially loves it when we sit and play games with him.  He'll bat toys back and forth with us under doors, or retrieve small cat toys that we throw for him to chase.  Of course, he is a cat, so he plays until he decides he's had enough, and then just sits and holds the toy so we can't throw it for him again. Lili is the older of the two and keeps Figaro in line, and her particular joy is to outsmart him and gain the upper paw when he's managed to claim the prime spot on the cat tree. 

ttf_robcat2075

You can keep the cat

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

The mice in this house didn't care about the dogs but when the cats arrived, they cleared out.

A few months ago a mouse got in here somehow and the cat, who typically sleeps all day, immediately went into red alert and nailed that thing in about a minute.
ttf_BillO

You can keep the cat

Post by ttf_BillO »

Quote from: robcat2075 on Feb 26, 2017, 04:32PMThe mice in this house didn't care about the dogs but when the cats arrived, they cleared out.

A few months ago a mouse got in here somehow and the cat, who typically sleeps all day, immediately went into red alert and nailed that thing in about a minute.

Yeah, dogs think mice are cute.  One night last weekend I was up late and baby sitting my sons dog.  She's more cat like than any dog I've ever know except for one thing.  Her attitude toward mice.  We were chillin' watching TV when two mice sauntered in from the mud room (you folks might not know what is) walked behind the TV stand, then up the stone work of the fireplace, then back down and behind the couch to continue on around the corner into the hallway and on to the kitchen.  Well, the dog just got up and followed the mice from a 'respectful' distance.  I guess she was noting them for some future consideration as she certainly was not in a mood to take any action at all, but was really intent on the observation.  At that point I sort of lost my own fascination with the moment and got up to chase them out the back door of the kitchen.   The effort on my part was little frenzied, and when completed the dog just looked at as to say ‘Really!’.
ttf_BGuttman

You can keep the cat

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

We've had a couple of dogs that were mousers.  One caught a mouse in her mouth and looked at us with the tail sticking out as if to say "what do I do now?" Image
ttf_Pre59

You can keep the cat

Post by ttf_Pre59 »

ttf_robcat2075

You can keep the cat

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

ttf_robcat2075

You can keep the cat

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

ttf_BGuttman

You can keep the cat

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Did you notice how the cat figured out that he could get a scratch by leaning on the pick hand?  May not have cared much for the music but the stroke/scratch was worth the effort Image
ttf_robcat2075

You can keep the cat

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

Born on the Fourth of July...

July 1959: Pooli at 15 still fits into her old uniform that includes three service ribbons and four battle stars.
QuoteThis photo accompanied this profile of Pooli in the July 4, 1959, L.A. Times:

A World War II veteran cat today celebrates her 15th birthday.

And she can still get into her old uniform with its three service ribbons and four battle stars.

The cat, Pooli, short for Princess Papule, was born July 4, 1944, in the Navy yard at Pearl Harbor, her present owner, Benjamin H. Kirk, said.

Kirk explained that Pooli was taken aboard the attack transport USS Fremont that day by his nephew, James I. Lynch, now a specialist in administrative services for the Board of Education.

Pooli saw action at the Marianas, the Palau group, the Philippines and Iwo Jima. And she became a shellback when the ship crossed the equator.

Kirk revealed that when battle stations rang, Pooli would head for the mail room and curl up in a mail sack.

And she nearly became a wartime casualty when some sailors aboard the homebound ship thought of throwing her overboard after fearing quarantine in San Francisco because of her. A round-the-clock guard was given Pooli for three days and she docked with the ship without incident, Kirk said.

Now, Pooli is deaf. She has only her front teeth, and she sleeps most of the day.

“But when she was younger, she never lost a battle with any dog or cat in the neighborhood,” Kirk said.

ttf_robcat2075

You can keep the cat

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

Confuse-a-Cat...

ttf_robcat2075

You can keep the cat

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

Confuse-a-Cat...

Return to “The Healthy Trombonsit”