right elbow soreness

ttf_randyb

right elbow soreness

Post by ttf_randyb »

I have been playing a lot lately and working on some fast shifts from first to sixth positions.
The inside of my right elbow between the two bones seems to get sore.  Almost feels like I numbing sensation like when you hit your "funny bone".  I warm up slow.  Arm curls seem to make it feel more "secure".
Any exercises or ideas?
Thanks
ttf_Geezerhorn

right elbow soreness

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Some may have suggestions.

However, if it persists anyway, you might want to see your doctor or someone on his staff about it.

In my case, it was in my left elbow after acquiring a trigger horn. It lasted for 6-7 months until I saw my Doc's PA. It's on the mend now. I realize it's your right elbow. Just sayin...

...Geezer
ttf_timothy42b

right elbow soreness

Post by ttf_timothy42b »

Don't do that.

Well, it's not completely avoidable.

But you want a strong grip with the left hand, and a loose relaxed one with the right hand, and use alternates to the maximum extent you can to avoid those long throws.  Those three things should help. 

There may be some motions that are impossible to do without risk - the human arm wasn't designed with the primary purpose of playing slide trombone. 
ttf_harrison.t.reed

right elbow soreness

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

1. Get / use an f attachment. 6th position is great. You don't have to use it, especially if it hurts you.

2. Don't "muscle" your way along the slide. Hold the slide with your index finger and thumb only. This may force you to play in a way that is less likely to cause or agitate injury.

3. Make sure your slide is in good shape.
ttf_hassein

right elbow soreness

Post by ttf_hassein »

You're describing Ulnar nerve pain. Look up "Ulnar Nerve Flossing" exercises on Youtube.
ttf_randyb

right elbow soreness

Post by ttf_randyb »

Thanks for all the good suggestions.
Hassein - You hit the "nerve" on the head.  The Ulnar Nerve looks exactly like the problem!
          I will start the You Tube exercises  gently and see what happens.

Thanks
ttf_johntarr

right elbow soreness

Post by ttf_johntarr »

Quote from: randyb on Jan 10, 2018, 09:42AMAlmost feels like I numbing sensation like when you hit your "funny bone".  I warm up slow.  Arm curls seem to make it feel more "secure".
Any exercises or ideas?
Thanks

Arm curls, with weights? You might also need to consider what you’re doing when not playing. We often assume that the activity (playing more, in your case) that seems to cause or aggravate a problem is the cause. How are you using your arm during the rest of your day and night. Do you sleep with your arms bent? Do you work at a computer or use your mobile phone a lot? Are you more tense or relaxed while not playing? What’s your general level of stress? And, curling with weights might be helpful in some way but can also irritate your elbow.

There’s also the question of how the rest of your body is involved in playing, your ribs, posture and head position.

Yes, it can be very complex.
ttf_johntarr

right elbow soreness

Post by ttf_johntarr »

Quote from: randyb on Jan 10, 2018, 09:42AMAlmost feels like I numbing sensation like when you hit your "funny bone".  I warm up slow.  Arm curls seem to make it feel more "secure".
Any exercises or ideas?
Thanks

Arm curls, with weights? You might also need to consider what you’re doing when not playing. We often assume that the activity (playing more, in your case) that seems to cause or aggravate a problem is the cause. How are you using your arm during the rest of your day and night. Do you sleep with your arms bent? Do you work at a computer or use your mobile phone a lot? Are you more tense or relaxed while not playing? What’s your general level of stress? And, curling with weights might be helpful in some way but can also irritate your elbow.

There’s also the question of how the rest of your body is involved in playing, your ribs, posture and head position.

Yes, it can be very complex.

Return to “The Healthy Trombonsit”