Movie theatre loudness

ttf_Andrew Meronek

Movie theatre loudness

Post by ttf_Andrew Meronek »

I know I can be a bit of an oddball, but I have had bad experiences almost every time out to see a movie I want to see in a theater, due to the volume levels being too high. Last time was Blade Runner 2049. Fantastic movie, but whoever set up the sound did a terrible job in that particular theater.

Anyway, a rant on that experience: everything in that theater was loud, not just "loud" moments. It sounded like the sound was set up by a 16-year-old EDM enthusiast. In the very first scene, foot scuffs on the floor from a character walking in a room were loud. That's just stupid. This was not IMAX which I know to avoid like the plague; just one of the regular theaters. I'm just really tired of having to worry about bringing earplugs to a movie theater viewing. It's not just about protecting my hearing - I just don't like experiencing pain for no good reason!  Image

Is anyone else frustrated with this trend? It does seem to vary from theater to theater on just how bad it gets, but it still is a trend, and it seems like a lot of the theaters also don't want to hire people who know how to mix sound properly. I do think it's fair (in my limited experience) to lay blame on local theaters, not the production made by the Hollywood engineers who I suspect really are competent.

I want to go check out a movie or two this weekend, but basically me previous experiences are scaring me off due to this issue.

ttf_Doug Elliott

Movie theatre loudness

Post by ttf_Doug Elliott »

I once walked out and told them if they didn't turn it down I would leave and wanted my money back.  It worked.
ttf_MikeBMiller

Movie theatre loudness

Post by ttf_MikeBMiller »

I haven't had trouble at the movies, but the last time I went to a minor league hockey game, they played music at ear-splitting levels at ever break of 5 seconds or more.
ttf_RMTrombone

Movie theatre loudness

Post by ttf_RMTrombone »

RANT ALERT !

THX certified movie theaters volume should be set to (expletive deleted) 105 dB for the loudest scenes!

A typical theater is about 85 dB.

Why?
  • [li]To keep people from talking on the cell phone - ha[/li][li]For a more visceral "metal concert" experence[/li]
Musicians, who are good listeners of course, will find this way too loud.

ttf_robcat2075

Movie theatre loudness

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

Yes, I have also found it too loud. Particularly the previews tend to be all-loud.

I have taken to sitting farther back than I normally would.
ttf_ddickerson

Movie theatre loudness

Post by ttf_ddickerson »

"The Greatest Showman" is out this weekend and it is a great movie!

ttf_sabutin

Movie theatre loudness

Post by ttf_sabutin »

Bring earplugs.

Everywhere.

I always carry several around in my pocket...32 or 33 db-rated. I use the foam ones...they are inexpensive and easy to adjust, from barely in to almost deaf. This culture has learned to substitute volume for content, and not just in music. Cars, trains...especially subways...sirens, whistles etc. can be uncomfortably loud as well. So can percussion instruments, trumpets and other loud, high musical sounds.

Protect yourself.

You're all you've got.

AG
ttf_Andrew Meronek

Movie theatre loudness

Quote from: Doug Elliott on Dec 23, 2017, 10:00AMI once walked out and told them if they didn't turn it down I would leave and wanted my money back.  It worked.

I've done this too, but it's only worked once. I remember it: watching Moneyball several years ago, I ended up finding a manager and explained to him that in the theater where I was trying to watch this movie, the bass was cranked so much that dialogue was hard to understand. I then saw him poke in and out of the theater a couple of times and he dialed it in quite nicely. I got the impression that no one even bothered to balance sound for that movie (probably had settings from a previous movie) until I said something. In a different theater, I remember going to see TRON II and complained to no effect, and walked out, never to return and recommending to everyone I know to avoid that theater.
ttf_Matt K

Movie theatre loudness

Post by ttf_Matt K »

I think part of it may be that people always have earbuds in so you get used to the source of sound right next to your ear. But most earbuds don't do noise isolation, so they pump up the volume so that the earbuds are merely louder than whatever happens to be going on around rather than trying to keep some of that noise out.  Result? Everything needs to be louder when its acoustic to get the same sensation.  

I do what Sam does. I always have foam earbuds with me.  I put them in when I drive, take the train, go to the mall, etc.  It does tend to make me more sensitive to sounds but I haven't noticed a problem with my brass playing thus far.
ttf_Andrew Meronek

Movie theatre loudness

Quote from: sabutin on Dec 23, 2017, 11:33AMBring earplugs.

I have a set in every instrument case, and for my day job, in my tool bag. Not custom earplugs, just solid, reusable 28dB reduction that fit well enough they don't give me a headache.

I also just avoid environments that I know will be loud, in general, if I can.
ttf_SilverBone

Movie theatre loudness

Post by ttf_SilverBone »

I rarely go to movies in theaters anymore because the volume is too loud and the mix is so bad that the music obscures the dialog.

I just wait until the movies come to my Tivo and then I can watch them with closed captioning on.
ttf_Burgerbob

Movie theatre loudness

Post by ttf_Burgerbob »

I always bring my musician's earplugs to the theater. Brings everything to a perfect volume for me.
ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist

Movie theatre loudness

Post by ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist »

I’m beginning to think I’m hard of hearing. I’ve never found the theater too loud. Any theater I’ve been to.
ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist

Movie theatre loudness

Post by ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist »

I’m beginning to think I’m hard of hearing. I’ve never found the theater too loud. Any theater I’ve been to.

Return to “The Healthy Trombonsit”